“Disappointing ”

Cuba Libre Restaurant & Rum Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Cuba Libre Restaurant & Rum Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #216 of 3,484 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: US$25 - US$50
Cuisines: Caribbean, Cuban, Latin
Good for: Business meetings, Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Corner of 9th & H Streets
Transit: Two Blocks away from Chinatown Metro Stop (Red, Yellow, Green Lines). Four Blocks from Metro Center Stop (Orange & Blue Lines)
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

I had high hopes for this restaurant because it was referred by a couple of friends but the experience left me highly disappointed. I popped in today (Easter Sunday) while in town for a conference. Since I was solo I sat at the bar. After almost 10 mins with no one approaching me I finally asked for someone to take my order. I ordered a drink and my food a short while later. I requested a side order of broccolini with my meal, but they attempted to bring it out before the main entree. To the bartender's credit she sent it back, but once I received my meal no broccolini. They literally brought it out when I finished eating my other food. I asked to have it removed from my bill. I had the churrasco a la cubana. The beef was well flavored and tender but the potatoes were runny and I left the watercress salad on the plate. After paying my bill I spoke to the manager on the way out to share the issues I'd had and to expreas my disapoointed. He apologized and gave me a card for $25 off the next meal, but I'm honestly not inclined to come back. I hope they get their act together.

Reviewed 31 March 2018

Stopped in with my son and my friend for a late lunch to power up after seeing some of the sights and going to see more. A great place my friend, a local, had stumbled upon before.

We got the plantain chips and dip and was surprised how much I liked it. He got the Ropa Vieja which I knew would be good as I've had that at other Cuban restaurants and it didn't disappoint. I had their classic mojito which was filled with mint and I loved it. I got a couple of their empanadas and they were packed with filling (pork and beef) and the flavors were great by themselves but then they had a wonderful dipping sauce. My 7-year old son had their kids menu chicken and rice dish. He ate about half of it and we took it home and he ate the rest of it that night. This kid never finishes a dish but he really enjoyed the food.

Service was excellent. Server was attentive and very friendly. Loved the decor of the place which my friend remembered as much as the food.

I'll say one thing that could maybe need improvement; I ordered the flan dessert and found it to be just OK. I have had flan that I thought was creamier and more sweet, but that could just be personal preference, I don't claim to know how flan is supposed to taste.

Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

My wife and I went here for a Friday date night based on recommendations. Large corner location, inside makes you feel like you’re dining outside in Cuba. Drinks were watered down, but the seafood (shrimp and red snapper) was fabulous. We had octopus as a appetizer- pass on this next time. Nice “tapas style” dessert with flan and rice puddle finished the. I would come back, but a little more selective in selections.

Reviewed 11 March 2018

Great climate with the interior design as replica of Havana streets, excellent and friendly service, but the food was just ok. Not as flavorful as I expected, but I was there for lunch and maybe dinner is their specialty. I had the Pio Pio Pio lunch special, and the chicken croquettas and empanadas were fine but not WOW. Worth noting that I am very familiar with Cuban cuisine and probably have higher expectations than the average person. You should definitely try this place.

1  Thank Iamnotatwork
Reviewed 9 March 2018 via mobile

I went here for business/friend meeting. I typically haven’t enjoyed Cuban food but this place was really neat. It was kind of like being on Vegas. The music, decor, and Latina server set the tone.
She recommended my food. I don’t remember the names, but the plantain chips and guacamole was outstanding. I also had this wonderful pulled beef dish that had a lot of flavor? Nice texture etc.
On the weekends I guess they clear the floor for dancing and live music. Sounds like fun.