“Good food, less than stellar service”

Cuba Libre Restaurant & Rum Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Cuba Libre Restaurant & Rum Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #220 of 3,533 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: US$25 - US$50
Cuisines: Caribbean, Cuban, Latin
Good for: Romantic, Bar Scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Corner of 9th & H Streets
Transit: Two Blocks away from Chinatown Metro Stop (Red, Yellow, Green Lines). Four Blocks from Metro Center Stop (Orange & Blue Lines)
Reviewed 23 April 2018 via mobile

Came here with a party of 8 for a birthday dinner. They had set up a table for us next to the dance floor which was evident when we came in, but for some reason decided to break that table down and seat us in the back of the restaurant. My wife spoke to the manager and had them re-set our table and sit in the originally planned space. They also wanted $2.25 service fee per each cupcake we brought, this was quashed as well.

The special was steamed red snapper. We tried to order two but were told they were sold out. Later our waitress informed us they could prepare one, but that was the last.

The food overall was pretty good. In particular the citrus chicken and the shrimp dish. The snapper special was a tad over cooked and under seasoned. The crab guacamole appetizer was just so so. However they had an baked chicken empanada which was very tasty.

Lily was our server and admonished us for ordering drinks directly from the bar. We did so once seated due to the lack of her actual presence. That theme would continue throughout, either she had too many tables or was just inattentive. Regardless, going direct to the bar was more reliable.

Good location, decent experience. The staff overall was a drawback. With so many dining choices I can’t see this as a venue I’d be compelled to visit again.

2  Thank Steve O

Reviewed 23 April 2018 via mobile

Went there with the family, tried four dishes and some appetizers all of the were very good but the best one was the "Siete Potencias" its a seafood soup with a LOT pf flavor, have to try it. mad of course the ambiance was excellent. Remember to do a reservation otherwise will have to wait at least 45min.

Reviewed 21 April 2018

Wonderful menu and selection of Cuban food! The mango butter was wonderful and well as the entire entrée! Drink menu and dessert menu offer great choices! Price is right!

Reviewed 19 April 2018

I had been to Cuba Libre for dinner years ago and decided to meet a foreign business associate there for lunch. We were both impressed. I had the El Cubana sandwich. It was a good portion and tasty lunch. I'll be back.

Reviewed 16 April 2018 via mobile

The vibe is good but service and food was so so. We made reservations for 6 people for 8:30. Stephanie at the host desk is wonderful, friendly, and remembered us from a phone conversation. We were seated immediately ordered drinks. My husband and I ordered caipirinhas which were served In smaller glasses than usual and not that great. Not the best caipirinhas. Next is the food. The waiter was not very helpful with helping with decisions or recommendations. My chicken was burned and broccolini even smelled burnt like flames, and not so hot. I ordered a coconut mojito which was not the best either, very very sweet. In general, it could be better, Cuban food is good food and they don’t do a good job of making it well. I was disappointed but will probably give it another chance. The dancing at 11pm is good. Probably the best part of he evening.....