“Pretty good Ritz Carlton experience”

The Ritz-Carlton, Washington, DC
Ranked #19 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Small rooms and inconsistent (though very polite) service in the lobby restaurant, and courtyard views aren't great. Location is adjacent to George Washington University, convenient to Georgetown, and there are a number of good, nice comparable hotels within the general area (Park Hyatt, Fairmont, Four Seasons), and they're all about the same in terms of quality. Pricing for this Ritz is relatively attractive however. This area, which is very nice, is also reasonably convenient to the sights either via subway or by a long, pleasant walk.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 26 February 2012

I want to start this by saying that the people who work at this hotel are just wonderful; they were courteous, friendly, and very helpful. I wish I could say I just loved it because of them. But, it's pretty ordinary inside. The lobby is attractive, but not particularly functional. The rooms could be found in almost any hotel, and the views: yuk!! I heard the same thumping that other reviewers commented on; couldn't tell if it was weights dropping, or doors slamming, or what, but it was annoying. I was there for a conference, and am so glad I did not pay Ritz-like prices for this experience.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank fourfamilytravels
Reviewed 26 February 2012

We got off to a very good start at this hotel. Amy at the front desk was welcoming, pleasant, efficient, and best of all, explained the details of our package thoroughly.

So off we went to our room. Our first impression was that we would be happy in our room partly because it did not have the standard hotel room layout. This room was longer at the window wall, instead of the window wall being the short end of the room. The room was still standard Ritz size with the same amount of furniture, just in different places, and with an extra window which is a nice bonus. The blue and gold color scheme was attractive, and the room had a nice luxurious look to it. The bathroom was spacious with separate shower, tub, and water closet. The sand colored marble was particularly beautiful.

Once we settled in we noticed the room had some functional issues. The closet was just about the smallest we have ever encountered at a hotel. We were on a short trip so we did not have much luggage, but if we did, most of it would have been on display in the room, which is something we do not like. There was however, decent drawer space. The door into the water closet was extremely tight when exiting, even for average sized people. We are not sure these problems exist in other rooms since this was our first stay at this hotel. Later we noticed that the two chairs at the desk were very marked up at the legs with what looked like paint. We thought we could solve having to look at these marks by reversing the chairs, but the backsides were just as marked up. Finally, there was no decorative pillow or throw on the bed, which can be seen in some of the pictures on the hotel web site. All kind of minor issues on their own, but when you add them up it changes your impression in a negative way. If we were there for a longer stay I think we would have asked to see another room.

The staff at this hotel was especially friendly and really tried to go the extra mile to make our stay pleasant. At breakfast, I looked over the paper selection and walked away empty handed because the WSJ was not published on that day, President’s Day. A staff member, Edward, noticed and asked what I was looking for and tried to find the weekend WSJ that I had missed out on and was hoping was still available. He could not find a copy for me, but I was very impressed that he tried. A valet staff member went over directions with me in great detail to make sure I understood them.

The easily accessed Sports Club/LA is the hotel gym. It is a very nice mega gym that even includes sports court activities and a light restaurant/snack area. The pool, however, was not super sized and only had four lanes that were occupied during my visit, so I was unable to swim my laps. Since the gym is so large, the hotel feels it can charge fifteen dollars for a visit. For most people this gym would be overkill and the gyms and pools at most Ritz hotels are good enough and free, so I wish the hotel did not have this charge. It could be a deterrent to using the gym or staying here if you really want to workout.

The hotel seems small with an elegant clublike feel. The location is central and easily walkable to many sites including wonderful Georgetown, and just blocks away from the metro. There is not much going on in the immediate neighborhood.

Overall, a stay here is a good choice, but there are many good options in Washington DC.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms get afternoon sun and odd numbered rooms get morning sun.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2012

All is good but I am coming to a conclusion do not expect much from the staff you come in contact with They will make you look at them at the front desk as they keep on answering phone calls. They will pick up a new call before you get taken care of. It was hot and room ac was not workIng I asked for a fan but it was easy to move me. Which they did but same problem. I talked to the manager she was amazing went above and beyond. Next time just talk to the managers and just don't get annoyed of front desk ignores you and answers questions it's ritz culture.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 21 February 2012

On a business trip to Washington for a conference and the Ritz-Carlton was flawless. Great check in, great and quiet rooms, great celebrity chef restaurant on the corner and not far from the subway.

Room Tip: Ask for a courtyard room so that you get no road noise.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business