“Very nice service, tasty food, dark interior & a little expensive.”
Review of Bandolero - CLOSED

Bandolero
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Executive Chef Tony Starr serves innovative mexican small plates in the heart of Georgetown, Washington, DC. Bandolero serves brunch, lunch, dinner, and happy hour.
Reviewed 8 July 2015

Bandolero on M Street in Georgetown is Mexican-style and really a 3+ choice on July 4th before viewing the fireworks. The chicken quesadilla I ordered was cheesy and melted in my mouth, but there wasn't enough of it. The tortilla chips were warm, good and replaced when asked. They were ordered with guacamole. The restaurant was just too dark which made it difficult to read the menu without an additional light source. I agree with the writer who mentioned only one of each ladies/gentlemen's toilets for an entire restaurant. However, it was a good stop to sit for awhile and have a break before walking to the Key Bridge. The food and drinks offered were very good, but larger portions for the cost would have been appreciated along with better lighting. They had tables to put together for groups around six along with a bar area and a few smaller tables.

Reviewed 30 June 2015

My husband and I were in DC for the weekend and my husband made reservations for us at Bandolero since we love Mexican. We arrived for our 8pm reservation a few minutes early and were quickly seated at our table in the back area. Our waitress was very friendly and we put in an order for guacamole and a pitcher of margaritas within 3 minutes of sitting down. The menu is tapas style so we decided to try the mahi mahi taco, a ceviche dish and the brussel sprouts. Each dish was unique, however the ceviche is not a traditional Mexican ceviche that I am used to eating. (We've been to Mexico 5 times). Food was all on par, but nothing outstanding. After dinner my husband decided to order a sipping tequila. He picked out a tequila from the menu and was enjoying the drink. Then literally 5 seconds after I had finished my own margarita a bus boy snapped up my empty glass and slammed it down on my husband's still half full glass of expensive sipping tequila. We kind of gave him a look and my husband told him he was still drinking it. He asked it what it was and then said he would get us another drink. He then goes to the bar and we can see him talking to the manager or bartender and looking back at us. 10 or minutes go by and still no drink. Finally, we flag down our waitress and explain the situation and that it is not her fault but this guy ruined half of my husband's sipping tequila, said he would bring us another and then never did. She eventually brought a small portion of the tequila. I should also mention there was no reason to try to rush us out. It was probably 9:30 by this time and there were multiple tables open all around us. We felt the situation could have been handled differently. We didn't want something for free but when we pay $15 for a sipping tequila it shouldn't be snatched away before it's done.

Reviewed 30 June 2015

This is our second visit to the establishment. Service, food and menu recommendations are awesome. This time we picked the brunch hours until 4pm on weekends. Bottomless mimosa and margaritas are great and refreshing. The small dishes are excellent. If you happen to be served by Burak you are lucky. He has great sense of humor and fun that makes your visit such a joy.

Reviewed 21 June 2015 via mobile

We dropped in here by chance and where immediately shown to a table. The waiter was kind and attentive. The atmosphere was very nice and the food was really tasty. We did not have to wait even though the place was full. Very good service !

Reviewed 19 June 2015

I love dark and mysterious places like this one so the flashlight reference is only in fun. The place is on the dark side as is the décor. As you walk into the rather large bar is on your left with bar seating at small tables to the right. If you continue past the bar and the section of outdoor fencing they used for separation, you'll find a decent amount of tables to choose from if you would rather not be by the bar area. The menu is very diversified (though sticky to the touch) and there is something for any Mexican foodie to choose. I had the Chicken Taco $10.00 and Pulled Pork Taco $13.00 and found the portions to be larger than in other establishments. Served on a 'plank' over banana leaves, they were delicious and the two orders I got for myself were just perfect and very tasty. In addition I got there plantains dish $6.00 which turned out to be too much for me and so reluctantly left some behind. Drinks were pricey but I found that overall the fun décor and friendly atmosphere with the very tasty tapas justify the financial investment.!!