“Love Love LOVE!”

Keren Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 3,748 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: African
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: This is one of DC's many Eritrean restaurants, but it tends to be overlooked by the better publicized and established Ethiopian community in the city. It's a small place, but offers a fantastic dishes, coffee, and service. There is no review on TripAdvisor for this restaurant (there is one on Yelp!).
Reviewed 28 August 2018

We try to stop here every time we are in DC! It is great food, great prices, small cozy atmosphere and the staff are really nice. We are always recommending it to everyone we know in the area as well! It is my favorite Ethiopian restaurant I have found up in that area! The only issue which is an issue everywhere in D.C. is the parking. But it is definitely worth stopping by!

Date of visit: May 2018
1  Thank Cmered

Reviewed 27 August 2018

This has become a wildly popular evening restaurant. I live nearby so can remember when the only people there were Eritrean/Ethiopian cab drivers. that did give it a lot of credibility. However going upscale for an American crowd has changed it somewhat. it is a very small place and the wait is usually long. Walk on up 18th and there are a couple of equally good options for the same cuisine, with no wait.

1  Thank 382harryq
Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

The honey wine was a delicious sweet compliment to the meal. I had spicy chicken with a variety of vegetables. The food was around 14.99 and a glass of wine is 7.99. Great little gem but be prepared to stand in line as it is a small establishment.

Reviewed 17 August 2018 via mobile

I love Ethiopian food, and have eaten it at dozens of restaurants, mostly in the DC area. I had been to Keren before, years ago, and remembered liking it. This time, the food was mediocre.

I ordered the Keren Special with beef tibs, disappointed to note the very limited choices of Ethiopian dishes. The beef was quite tough, and the flavor unremarkable. The vegetarian selection on the tray was not as interesting as I’ve come to expect at Ethiopian restaurant: a Western mixed salad, 2 lentil dishes, cooked cabbage, cooked potatoes, and cooked spinach. Of the entire meal, I would recommend only the spinach, injera, and potatoes, though I don’t go to Ethiopian restaurants to eat potatoes.

The service, on the other hand, was noteworthy. I was given a glass of ice water immediately, and when I had to send back my meal to take an unexpected urgent call, it was removed with a smile, and returned with a smile when I was ready.

Given the recent closures of a couple of the top Ethiopian restaurants in DC, I hope Keren will soon improve the quality of its food.

1  Thank KarenTLevine
Reviewed 16 August 2018

Ask questions! They were very informative but to make sure you enjoy the meal. The flavors were great!

Date of visit: June 2018