Old Ebbitt Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Old Ebbitt Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 3,337 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: US$10 - US$40
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: 15th between F and G
Transit: Metro: Red Line to Metro Center, Orange/Blue to McPherson Square
Description: Established in 1856, the Old Ebbitt Grill was a favorite of Presidents Grant, Cleveland, Harding, and Theodore Roosevelt. The restaurant's decor is comprised of a Beaux-Arts facade, mahogany and velvet booths, and bars set in marble, brass, and beveled glass. Old Ebbitt serves a diverse selection of food including steaks, seafood, pasta, sandwiches, and also features an Oyster Bar with oysters form both coasts. Open early for breakfast and weekend brunch, and serving lunch, dinner and a late-night menu. Private and semi-private dining rooms including a rooftop overlooking the monuments and The White House.
Reviewed 16 November 2015 via mobile

First night in Washington D.C. we decided to go to Ebbitt Grill based on friends recommendation, glad we did. The mac and cheese Pot pie wad awesome! I'm so glad I ordered it.

Write a ReviewReviews (9,866)

Reviewed 16 November 2015

We have walked past this restaurant on several occasions when visiting DC but never ventured inside. This trip, we were looking for a great place for brunch and we found it! We started with Maryland Bloody Marys - nicely spiced and garnished with a jumbo shrimp on a glass that was rimmed with (just a guess) old bay seasoning? It went down easy. I ordered 3 jumbo shrimp to start and my husband ordered 6 oysters. Oysters are a big specialty of this restaurant, they have their own menu. He has had several meals on this trip that included oysters but found these to be the best. The jumbo shrimp were cooked to perfection and served ice cold - wonderful. For entrees, I selected the Chesapeake Benedict ( eggs benedict with crab cakes and Old Bay Hollandaise sauce). My husband opted for Oysters Benedict - a total of 6 fried oysters with all the other eggs benedict ingredients. It was a great way to spend our mid morning on Sunday. Great service in a historic restaurant that could tell many stories if the walls could talk. I would suggest a reservation as we arrived at 11 AM and many people without reservations were waiting.

Reviewed 16 November 2015 via mobile

Loved this place. Loved the decor. Loved the service. Loved the food. Fantastic atmosphere. We hadn't booked. Advisable to. We waited an hour for a table but it was worth it. This is a popular restaurant and with good reason. Would definitely go again if I return to Washington but would make a reservation.

Reviewed 16 November 2015

Great place to stop for breakfast, or lunch after visiting the White House, or the Holocaust Museum. Service and food is fantastic! Prices are moderate. My husband and I ate there twice, while vacationing in DC. Elegant place to relax. Enjoy a Bloody Mary, with Eggs Chesapeake - delicious!

Reviewed 15 November 2015 via mobile

The oyster menu provides a description of the oysters; and the descriptions are right on point... buttery, salty, etc. Other menu items are good, too. Great atmosphere and a quick walk to the front of the White House for a photo.