“The best SE Asian food in DC”
Review of Thip Khao

Thip Khao
Ranked #169 of 3,482 Restaurants in Washington DC
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 26 November 2015

This is our go-to Thai/Lao restaurant in the metro area. My husband is Thai and we visit Thailand regularly. This place is better than most of the places we eat at in Thailand. The spicing is authentic and generous. The staff is young, hip and friendly. It gets crowded so reservations are a must.

Reviewed 25 November 2015

Curried cod steamed in banana leaves .... Marvelous! Green papaya AND mango salads .... Done! Great meal ... Great prices in U St corridor.

Reviewed 7 November 2015 via mobile

Amazing food, fried rice dish was top notch probably one of the best ones I have ever had. Papaya salad was also incredible perfect amount of Lao hot. Some dishes are a little bit too sweet but overall flavor makes up for it. Definitely one of DC top restaurants

Reviewed 28 October 2015

I have traveled in Laos and I love Laotian food, but I thought this restaurant gave more hype than authentic Laotian food.

We tried the happy hour, and it was ok, but all drinks were pretty pricy. The bartender, however, was very nice and efficient.

We were not that happy with our food. I ordered goat curry at the regular spice level, but it was more sweet than spicy and I almost had to swim in it to find goat meat. It was mostly bones. For $15 they could have done better. My friend ordered a chicken dish at medium spice level, but that dish was much spicier than my dish. We are not big rice eaters, but the sticky rice we got was enough for two bites.

The worst part was the wine. I ordered a $10 glass of wine and they brought some old tasting wine (that probably must have been sitting around for a day or two) in a whiskey glass. I had to get a glass from the neighboring table to feel like I was actually drinking wine.

There were a lot waiters hanging around, because we had an early dinner. I think they all can use a bit more training.

The place was a rip-off. We will never go there again

1  Thank SunnyW358
Reviewed 27 October 2015 via mobile

Family owned
Very good service
Delicious meals
Can't wait to go back and try more dishes! the location is walking distance to the Columbia Heights Metro.