“Worth another visit”

Ranked #142 of 3,707 Restaurants in Washington DC
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 11 September 2017

I visited Thip Khao for the first time last night and was pretty pleased. I loved the herbal pig's blood sausage and certainly the crispy coconut rice. I was a little bit underwhelmed by the blue catfish rolled in banana leaves. It was flavorful but missing something when paired merely with sticky rice. Authentic dish or not, it could've used something to create a middle ground between the hard, dry sticky rice and the moist and gooey blue catfish. I love the fact that they're not afraid to use blood sausage, chicken hearts (delicious), steamed pigs ears and fried duck heads. The guts and extremities are sometimes the most rewarding parts! They've also got a pretty good beer selection. There was a little bit of confusion with our order and some items got out to us a touch slower than I think it should've taken, but the amount of time we waited was definitely forgivable. The price is definitely adequate. It's a unique restaurant for the area and a welcomed addition. I look forward to returning.

Reviewed 10 September 2017

I can't say that I've ever had Lao food before, but if it always tastes like this then I've missed out on something awesome my entire life. We started with the Sai Oua - crispy pork sausage - the flavor was awesome and it wasn't dry at all. My only critique is that I wish it had some sort of sauce with it? But, it was super good. For entrees we ordered the Khao Poon - a red coconut curry, and Muu Som - a rice-cured sour pork belly. I am not a huge fan of anything pickled/fermented, but this was actually really good if you are. The pork is cooked to perfection and it's truly sour flavor is different than any other meat I've ever tasted. Getting this with the red curry to share was a great idea because the sweetness/spicy flavors of the curry balanced out the sour of the pork. The curry was so rich in flavor and was a huge portion. I ate every last drop in the curry because the broth was so good!

If you're in Columbia Heights do not miss this awesome food experience!

Reviewed 26 August 2017 via mobile

This place has great Asian food. They have something for everyone. If you want to be adventurous or stay safe. We had never had Laotian food but we can't wait to go back. The service you get here can't be beat. We had our 18 month old daughter and everyone interacted with her trying to get her to laugh. Trying new restaurants with children is stressful sometimes but they were great with her

1  Thank Lori D
Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

This Lao restaurant is UNBELIEVABLE. Honestly some of the best southeast Asian food I have found in America. The coconut rice is good enough to eat a bowl of plain, and their meats are incredible. I got the beef with coconut rice and my mom got the mixed rice with vegetables and pork belly and we loved both. The prices are good (actually, great considering how fantastic the food is) and they even do takeout.

1  Thank worldwidenoms
Reviewed 3 August 2017 via mobile

The menu lists these exotic sounding ingredients, but only because I'm not used to eating Laotian fare. Didn't matter: the food was excellent and enjoyed by even the most finicky eaters in our party. An experience not to be missed if you're in town.

1  Thank shockingblue7979