“Fresh Ceviche Bar, Peruvian Style”
Review of China Chilcano

China Chilcano
Reserve with OpenTable
China Chilcano is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #47 of 3,383 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Peruvian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 12 July 2017

If you are a ceviche lover, definitly go there!
Ther have a large choice of ceviche for brunch and dinner!
Loved the freshness of the dishes and the acidity.

Great moment!

Reviewed 11 July 2017

We were fortunate to visit this restaurant with a native Peruvian. We all enjoyed the meal very much and the food was great. BUT...our fellow Peruvian diner commented that typically this cuisine is served "family style" - - with much larger portions for everyone to enjoy...and presented in a more "rustic" style. The preparations here were ala "Bobby Flay" - - creative, artsy riffs on the traditional dish...and artfully plated...but NOT actual, authentic replications of this cuisine.

That said, I am still a HUGE FAN of José Andrés and love his restaurants, his food and the spirit of his organization. And, I would still encourage a visit to this restaurant. Our server, "Pink" was great. She was informative, fast and responsive.

Reviewed 10 July 2017 via mobile

We had a chicken stew and a fairly complex rice dish, each of which was quite tasty. Their spice is not as lively as some enthusiasts might want, but it's a small matter. It was certainly filling for our party.

Reviewed 9 July 2017

Very good and different tapas, excellent service, nice ambience (maybe too many cushions), but very easy to spend more than $50 per person with few shared plates and only one drink. I save it for a "pre-theater" when I've rotated through the other fine-dining pre-theater options nearby, though half the time I go to nearby Chinese noodle shop.

Reviewed 8 July 2017

We ordered the tasting menu. Every dish was wonderful. Strong flavors. From the cerviche through the dessert. We thought the food here worked on so many levels.

My one negative is that my equal recollection of the restaurant is that we should have just created our own tasting menu by ordering lots of dishes rather than ordering the restaurant tasting menu. We have ordered tasting menus in other restaurants and rarely have felt that the value differential was so stark. Usually we have felt that the restaurants included extra dishes or options for extras or something to make sure the tasting menu was a good value. Its sort of disappointing to go home after such a great meal and be thinking how we were taken by the tasting menu and we should have ordered off the menu. And I am writing this about a month after eating at the restaurant and its still tied for the excellent food in what I remember about the restaurant.

I gave the restaurant an excellent because the food was just that interesting. It would sort of have been a 6 (one level about excellent) so the value bit brought it down to a 5 (excellent) in my rating philosophy.