“Delicious seafood in a cosy restaurant”

BlackSalt Fish Market & Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
BlackSalt Fish Market & Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 3,525 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Upper Northwest
Cross street: V Street NW
Description: BlackSalt is the much anticipated concept restaurant from Chef Jeff Black, featuring an upscale fish market fronting a vibrant bar and elegant restaurant.
Reviewed 24 April 2018

The restaurant is a bit out of your way but the food is fresh, delicious and beautifully presented. I am a big fan of scallops and I loved them here. A lot of choice for fish and seafood lovers, would take several meals to sample everything so must return one day.
Really good and surprisingly reasonably priced wine list.
Service friendly and professional, a tad too many explanations for our taste but the staff really know their products.
Nice cosy ambience in the back of the restaurant, nice clientele.

Reviewed 23 April 2018

hit there for lunch in FEB.

New England Clam Chowder $12. - House Smoked Bacon, Cockles, Fried Ipswich - thinner brother I liked a lot. Nice and smoky with just enough fish flavor.

Had a squid ink pasta special, it was very tasty

nice staff, who served well

Reviewed 20 March 2018

The bouillabaisse at lunch is so worth the trip. (they may give it a different name) And incredible value. A very nice place. They have a thing for oysters, and if you are a connoisseur of them, this is certainly worth the trip for you. Tried three different types, and one could see the nuance in each type.

Otherwise, this place is really nice, and at lunch, a pretty good value....especially for a place that is very expensive at dinner time. Would recommend, and especially at lunch. And, boy, I am really looking forward to getting back here real soon.

Reviewed 13 February 2018 via mobile

Better than a convenient neighborhood favorite this Blacksalt can be depended on for an excellent meal. Not just for seafood lovers. Market fresh fish and ample portions should satisfy the most demanding customers. Desserts are not a strong point Good wine list and well trained attentive servers complete the package

1  Thank DavidWashingtonDC
Reviewed 11 February 2018

We've been to BlackSalt's for dinner with friends a couple of times in the last year or so, and it has become a favorite. The seafood is fresh and deliciously prepared, the service is excellent, the ambiance is delightful, and the location is very convenient.

The food, as always was marvelous. I ordered a salad that I split with my wife, as well as the Grilled Whole Bronzino, which was prepared to perfection with a wonderful accompaniment of cooked grains and vegetables. The portions were perfect. We split a dessert, a combination of ice-cream, roasted marshmallows, and crackers, with a combination of flavors evoking of old-fashioned s'mores. In previous visits, we've also enjoyed the raw oysters, which are uniformly delicious.

The service was perfect: chatty, efficient, and discreetly attentive. Out of the corner of my eye, I would regularly notice servers and waiters coming by our table to check whether a glass needed to be refilled or a plate needed to be removed. When I ordered the Bronzino, I was asked for a preference whole (with head) or filleted. I like the taste and aesthetic look of the whole fish, and often dig into the cheeks. But, I also appreciate that others might prefer to be served only the filets.

In the past, we've been seated at booths in the main dining room, past the seafood market and bar. We like the booths, because they create a cozy atmosphere where you can enjoy your meal and company free of distractions. This time, we arrived at peak time on a busy Thursday, and we were walked to the back, past a dining room full of typically Type-A Washingtonians: young, trim, elegantly-attired in business suits, conservatively-coiffed, and inevitably engaged in what appeared to be very serious conversations. (On the way out, we passed journalist and former Pentagon Spokesman Pete Williams was speaking about cell phones and terrorism to the six other guests at the table, who listening very attentively.) The dining room in the back, is quieter and cozy, and our table was very private, which enabled us to enjoy our quiet conversation while guests at other tables enjoyed family meals and birthday celebrations.

The restaurant is located away from downtown D.C., on MacCarthur Boulevard near Foxhall Crescent. So the best way to get there is by car/taxi or bus. We've never had trouble finding street parking within a couple of blocks, but one of our friends chose one of the commercial parking lots about a block away.