“Good, Especially if you have kids 8->15”

National Museum of Crime & Punishment
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Redmond, Washington
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Good, Especially if you have kids 8->15”
Reviewed 26 March 2012

The museum is fun certainly best if you have kids 8-15 I would guess. There is a lot of reading involved (or audio if you take the audio tour), with reading everything you are easily looking at a 3-5 hour visit. If you go a bit more briskly 2-3 would probably be the minimum.
The place is 3 levels with the first (top) level having by far the most time you will probably spend on it. It covers a lot of older crime/punishment related items. The middle level features some more modern items and certainly goes a bit faster. The bottom level is primarily the america's most wanted set which is a bit interesting to look at (very outdated tech too it seemed!) but not much else is on that level.

The stop selling tickets an hour before close, but that is certainly not long enough to see the entire thing. They close at 7pm except on Friday/Saturday when they close at 8 (and they are very strict on closing times, everyone will be in the in the gift shop within 2 minutes of closing!). You do have the option to get your ticket stamped to return the next day if you are there at closing. Tickets are roughly $20 per adult, more if you do an audio tour or an interactive CSI etc experience. The interactive car driving and cop shoot out experience are fairly enjoyable they are pretty short at only 1-3 minutes or so each however. You could do them multiple times if desired. The other interactive things are a bit less enjoyable for adults but should be more fun for kids. Would definitely suggest getting there several hours before closing (say around 3 atleast) so that you don't have to feel rushed to ensure you get to see all the levels. If you do end up pressed on time the last level could e done easily in 10-15 minutes and the second will take probably only half the time you spend on the first so certainly keep that in mind.

I would recommend it for adults if you have a real interest in the topic and don't mind reading. For kids as long as they are old enough reading (or lots of audio) won't bore them they will probably enjoy it.

1 Thank CakeVampire
CrimeMuseumStaff, Manager at National Museum of Crime & Punishment, responded to this review, 27 September 2013
Thank you so much for taking time to write a review and thank you for visiting us! There is definitely a lot to see and do, and I agree, it is a good idea to give yourself 2-3 hours to explore it all! The audio is a good option for those who do not want to read a lot, plus it provides some extra information! Thank you again!

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Olney, Maryland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Sometimes you DON'T get what you pay for.”
Reviewed 25 March 2012

The museum is interesting, and has many exhibits that would be worth visiting, if the ticket cost was $9.00.

Fortunately, I purchased two google offer tickets for $9.00.

Unfortunately, the museum didn't honor them. I ended up paying $20.00 MORE for tickets, and felt that the museum was closer to the criminal side of their displays.

Perhaps they should have their own exhibit.

Pro: For a one time visit, it would have been acceptable. It's not the Smithsonian, but some exhibits are interesting, while others are a bit cheesy.

Con: The woman at the ticket counter was unfriendly and unprofessional, and colored the whole experience.

Pro: I've contacted google about their bait and switch tactics, and am offering reviews here and elsewhere. You could say that after visiting the Crime and Punishment Museum, I'm highly motivated to seek justice.

9 Thank portraithomes
CrimeMuseumStaff, Director of Sales at National Museum of Crime & Punishment, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. I am sorry that you had a bad experience. I would like to point out that all of the 1/2 price ticket deals we offer have an expiration date. The google deal you purchased expired. At our Museum you can still use your ticket after the expiration date, all you have to do is pay the difference. Based on your review it was your experience with the tickets and the admissions staff that soured your mood, but the Museum was ok. I am certain to address this review with the staff. Thank you for allowing us to clarify our policies. We would not in anyway try to get over on our guests.
Arizona
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Great interesting museum for Cops and other alike!”
Reviewed 25 March 2012

It was a great tour of the many famous crimes that have taken place. A little pricey at $20 each but over all great!

We are thrilled that you had a great time at the Crime Museum! Thank you so much for your review and for visiting us! We hope to see you again soon! :-)
Kansas City, Missouri
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 119 helpful votes
“Alternated between interesting/fun and cheesy”
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Really mixed feelings about this place. First of, let me say that my kids (13 & 15) enjoyed this place much more than many of the museums on the mall. The interactive nature made it more interesting for them. They had fun being part of a lineup, doing the driving and shooting simulators, and reading about famous crooks. They also learned a bit about capital punishment, so there was some educational value.

I'm a bit of a crime buff, so there wasn't a whole lot of info on famous criminals that I didn't personally already know. I did find some of the information on medieval punishments, methods, devices interesting.

In the end I felt like while it had it's interesting parts, it was really only a notch or two abouve the tourist traps like ripley's or tussuads. More discriminating people will likely not be very entertained.

1 Thank Seven7Costanza
CrimeMuseumStaff, Director of Sales at National Museum of Crime & Punishment, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. I can certainly understand where you are coming from when talking about cheesy, but so many people have so many different tastes the things I find the most cheesy people love and vice versa. I love the advertisement from Ford Motors about John Dillinger and most people think that the ad is just ok. I am so glad you had some fun. I work here day in and day out and everytime I go upstairs I think to myself...we really have alot of cool artifacts. When you come to our Museum, while you may encounter something slightly cheesy, you have to really look at some of the AMAZING things we have for you to see. These are true pieces of history. I know I work here, and I am slightly biased, but I don't see us a tourist trap. Cheesy...maybe some parts, but kids like those parts, so it all works out in the end - there is something for everyone!
maryland
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Cool place to see”
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Great way to spend an afternoon. Lots of memorabilia from various criminals. Price is kinda high considering all of the free museums in dc. Best parts- police simulators, Ted bundy's car...

CrimeMuseumStaff, Director of Sales at National Museum of Crime & Punishment, responded to this review, 23 March 2012
Thank you for writing this review! We are glad to hear you had a great time! Our driving and fire arm simulators are a lot of fun. Come visit us again and try one of our public CSI labs. Check out our schedule online. Thank you for your business. :)