“it's the mouse, what's not to love?”
Review of Disneyland Park

Ranked #2 of 153 things to do in Anaheim
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Welcome to the place where imagination is the destination. For young and old, big and small — it's the happiest place on earth! Come build memories with your family that last a lifetime as you discover the wonder of this magical, fantastical world. When you enter the lands that comprise Disneyland Park, stories come to life around you, immersing you in tales from some of your favorite Disney films.
Reviewed 28 July 2008

Loved Disney. We've been to WDW in Orlando 7 times before but had never been to Disneyland. We weren't let down. Because we had mapped out a touring plan before we got there, we were able to do both parks (Disneyland Park and California Adventure) in one day.

I'd strongly advise that you're at the park at its opening. Even when we got there at 7:30, half an hour before the park opened, it was very crowded. The day we went it was very, very hot outside - 110. We took lots of air-conditioning breaks. Even with those, we still managed both parks.

Our favorites at Disneyland Park were Space Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean, Indiana Jones, and the Haunted Mansion. For Space Mountain, go to it first thing in the morning. The teens were on and off in 20 minutes. We walked by it half an hour later and the line was an hour long. For Indiana Jones, get Fastpass. The standby line is about 2 hours long. We caught the end of the show at the Golden Horseshoe...looked like fun.

At California Adventure, we loved Grizzly River Run which is longer and more fun than the rapids ride at WDW's Animal Kingdom in Orlando. Soarin' is also amazing. We'd gone on before at WDW. We love it every time. The teenagers loved California Screamin'. They didn't use Fastpass and only waited about half an hour. We wanted to go on the new Toy Story ride, but it was broken down and still extremely crowded. I'd suggest getting to that as your first thing in California Adventure. However, we were there during the Toy Story ride's opening week, so things may have calmed down after that.

8  Thank thetravelin3
Write a ReviewReviews (23,224)

Reviewed 23 July 2008

I love the idea of Disneyland; the idea that Walt himself came up with back in 1955. But, Walt is long gone and so is the concept of this being a great family destination. In my opinion, it's all about the money and to cram as many people as possible into that park every day.

If the park remained as quiet as the first couple of hours, I might have a different opinion. The first couple hours after the park opens is pretty enjoyable with short lines and room to breathe. But, as early as 10:00, you can feel it getting cramped, by noon it is a zoo, and by 2:00, you can't move. The rest of the day just gets worse and worse. Keep this in mind, the park pretty much averages close to 50,000 attendees in a day and those 50,000 people are crammed into a circle with a half mile diameter. That's about the size of your average football stadium which maybe holds a little more than that. It truly gets packed in.

The rides themselves are fairly mediocre based on today's theme park standards. All of the rides try to tell a story and a lot of these are done by animations or animotronics. These are ok, but with just a couple of exceptions, the rides are all slow moving and don't take up much space as Disney really doesn't have much space. In my opinion, there really is nothing in the park waiting an hour for which you have to do pretty much all day when the park is busy. To put it in perspective, would you take your kids out in the car and drive a half hour away (1-hr round trip) to spend $5 each and go on a 3 minute ride and then go home? This is exactly what you do at Disneyland.

While the park does offer the fastpass in order to make your wait shorter, the system is a total joke. We used fastpasses for a number of rides, but only on one ride did it seem to make any difference at all (Big Thunder Mountain RR). Many of the other fastpass lines merge in with the standby line after maybe going past 30 people. In the early afternoon, the fastpass system is really not worth it. By 2:00, the fastpass return was 7:30 at night for the major rides. By 3:00, it was 10:00 at night, and by 5:00, there were no more fastpasses available for the better rides.

I do think a couple of the rides were fun, especially space mountain and indiana jones. The fireworks show is good and so is Fantasmic. But, even for those, the crowds at the park make it pretty unpleasant trying to find a viewing spot. People were lining up for spots for the fireworks around 6:00 for a 9:30 show. I'm not sure when people started showing up for the Fantasmic show, but if you get there even a little late, you are going to be standing with an obstructed view. After the shows, you are literally herded like cattle out of the viewing area.

I do believe that our seven year old enjoyed the park as well as Mom and Dad. But, it's really not a good value at all. If you can get there on a slower day, it could be really worth the money. But, on a busier day (we were there on Monday, July 21), it's really not a good value for your entertainment dollar.

5  Thank JohnandLin
Reviewed 19 July 2008

We went on a weekday in July and it was very crowded, as it often is. But using a website called Ride Max, we were able to schedule a lot of rides in with very little waiting. The longest we waited was for Indiana Jones, but most other rides we were able to get on in less than 15 minutes. I think it's crucial to know in advance what you plan to do, or families could get frustrated wandering around looking for short lines. Using the Fast Pass system is a must!

7  Thank PhilboydStudge
Reviewed 14 July 2008

I really don't see what all the fuss is about,

I cannot belive all these reviews saying how fantastic this place is. I can only imagine they are putting something in the overpriced food and drinks.

I went with my family in April and found it dreadful.

We had tickets as part of a pack but when we got to the end of the line we were rudely sent back to the ticket purchase booth to change the voucher into a ticket.

There were very long queues for everything but you could put your ticket in a machine that gave you a slot later in the day - everyone we tried gave a time 6 hours ahead !.

My daughter wanted to see 'Captain Jack Sparrow' who was there but we were turned away just before we got to the end of the line 'as her had to go on his lunch break'.

Now don't get me wrong but it wasn't Johnnie Depp, with the prices that Disney are charging couldn't they have two !

All the staff gave a very bored fixed smile but at the end of the day treated everybody with distain and 'guests' were just pushed along without any sincerity.

Numerous rides were not working or temporarily out of order.

Going back to California next year and will definately be avoiding this place.

Recommend San Diego Animal Park, San Diego Zoo or Universal Studios instead !

5  Thank Jon C
Reviewed 9 July 2008

My first thoughts about Disney was "a place for kids." This was my third visit and still, I find myself dazzled. Right when I stepped into Main Street, I felt like a kid again...young and carefree.

As always, the food is overpriced so my family always brings our own water bottles and snacks. But if you are hungry or thirsty for something else, a frozen lemonade and a huge turkey leg are always a nice treat. *Extra: Blue Ribbon Bakery has great Iced Vanilla lattes at a good price

To get from one area to another, you can either walk or take their train. If you haven't ridden on their train then you should try it. The train offers some of its own creativity like traveling back in time.

Now for the Rides:
My favorite coaster would be the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. It is especially fun to ride when it's dark. Splash Mountain is also a classic favorite.
If you are traveling with elders or small children, the Brand NEW Finding Nemo Submarine ride is a MUST! Small kids will also like the tiki room and the Pirates of the Caribbean and Peter Pan.

Some rides are more popular than others so you may want to get a fast pass which is located near whatever ride you are interested at. It's free and it gives you a designated time to ride.

Things to Know:
It's a Small World is under renovation and is closed till Fall.
Innovations has been moved to DisneyWorld.
People in wheelchairs can enter through most exits and get on a ride without going through the line. There is also a designated area for wheelchairs for the parade and the Fantasmic! show.

TOTAL MUSTS: The parade (get there early for good spots) and Fantasmic! which is held at night in New Orleans (some people wait for almost 2 hours just to get a good seat.)

6  Thank 3,479,824