Apple Valley Motel(Apple Valley)
US$60
  • Free Internet
US$70
US$55
US$59
Orbitz.com
US$75
Travel Inn & Suites(Victorville)
US$79
New Corral Motel(Victorville)
US$65
Rodeway Inn(Victorville)
US$54
  • Pool
US$61
US$53
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 4 July 2012

I am compelled to write a review because this definitely is the worst motel room I’ve encountered in the past forty–five years of traveling. Due to uncontrollable, last-minute changes in medical and caregiver schedules of family we were visiting in Lucerne Valley, my sister was unable to cancel our reservation less than 48 hours prior to check in. The Black Horse management is not flexible or accommodating re: cancellation. There was no negotiating, like paying for one night and getting refund for the second night. Credit card payment was upfront for both nights on the website.
I wonder what room was photographed for the website. It definitely wasn’t Room 21. This is the room that I review.
The front desk man on duty (March 22) was not friendly. He questioned me as to why I was asking for two additional sets of towels. That was a first! The main source of heat is a wall-heater and the pilot light was off. Cold air from the high-desert night leaked through the top & bottom of door so my sister stuffed her comforter in the gaping cracks and for the 2nd night we borrowed a blanket from our aunt. A round table was pushed into a dark corner of main room with no lighting for reading, visiting with my sister. When we checked in, another guest’s fishing pole, crutches, and soiled clothing were inside the closet. The dead bolt was broken. The 'guy' was so surly that we chose not to 'bother' him w/maintenance issues. We asked for another room and our request was denied.
The carpet & furniture was soiled and in need of repair or replacement; broken bathroom mirror; unwashed & dirty film on windows; refrigerator and microwave unplugged; stove pilot light was off; kitchen tiles chipped; dirty tin foil under stove grates; scratchy blankets; rough & scratchy towels; thin sheets; major air leakage at top and bottom of door; small, non-lighted tiled shower with peeling non-skid strips. The 'double' room was indeed one double bed and one twin bed pushed against the wall directly under the window. This was not stated on website. The wooden bed frames were permanent and immovable. Coffee was not available--the man at front desk stated that since the room was only $50.00 per night that coffee was not offered.
I highly recommend NOT staying at Black Horse Motel, at least not in Room 21, unless cleanliness and security are not an issue.
During past travels, I have located older, cleaner and decent lodging for $60 and under. My expectation is always the same, that the room & bedding are clean and doors/windows are secure, that management is pleasant and accommodating. Not so during our 2-night stay. Truly, there are NO redeeming qualities re: the room for me to be positive about. The high desert sunrise was magnificent. Our first impression of the room was not that of charming or quaint --more like broken down, dilapidated, uncared for, unsecure. With no refund available, my sister and I stayed.

Stayed March 2010
(aka khandra)

Room Tip: This is a review written re: trip to Black Horse Motel in March 2010 under my profile name 'khandra'. I simply forgot my login and password and started a new profile for pegina16 this past March 2012 and I wish to include this worthy review. I had to choose March 2012 and the trip to Black Horse was March 2010.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank pegina16
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Omg!should of called the health department!!! I hope we did not catch aids,herpes,or ANY other sexually transmitted disease!!! !!

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank steve s
Reviewed 17 December 2010

I Love this place, it is one block from the main hwy so you avoid all the noise, the price is cheap at $45 a night. Rooms are not like the Hilton so if you are looking for something like that then don't come here, out bathroom shower was newly tiled, and room came with a full kitchen. Overall i would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DougStorm
Reviewed 27 April 2010

Those fools who wrote negative reviews on this place have obviously unreal expectations. It's a inexpensive quant quiet motel located away from all the hussle bussle of the main drag. I don't understand what they're complaining about. You can clearly see from the outside that it's an older establishment, did they expect that it would suddenly become renovated on the inside for the cheap $50 bucks a night? The guy complaining about not getting enough towels that's stupid. How many towels do you need anyway? We had 5 in our room. Hey man! it is such a cool experience to finally get a place that has real character. The cheezy furnishing, carpet and the buildings archetecture all add to it's flavor. Think Bate's motel, think Quentin Tarantino 60-70s style. THen you will really appreciate the place more. It appears to be a family run business. Our check in girl was very nice and helpful. She asked if we would like to examine the room before commiting to staying and we did. My friend and I both loved the place and thought it was a pleasant switch from all the nights we've been staying in Super 8 and Motel 6 places. The rooms are huge. Our's had a full sized kitchen with dinning table, full sized fridge, stove, oven, microwave, sink. Our bathroom was old but the shower tiles were brand new. Water was good and hot. Our room had a wall heater that you twist a knob to turn on or off. We had a T.V. with cable. The place was so quiet we slept the best of all nights. I guess you have to love uniqueness to appreciate this kind of style of place that so stands out from all those other places that just look and feel the same.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank kcrunch1
Reviewed 5 April 2010

I am compelled to write a review because this definitely is the worst motel room I’ve encountered in the past forty –five years of traveling. Due to changes in medical and caregiver schedules of family we were visiting, we could not cancel this room. Note that Black Horse management is not flexible or accommodating. One cannot cancel a reservation less than 48 hours in advance.
I wonder what room was photographed for their website advertising. It definitely wasn’t Room 21.
The front desk person on March 22 was not friendly. He questioned me as to why I was asking for two additional sets of towels. The main source of heat is wall-heater and the pilot light was off. Cold air from the high-desert night leaked through the top & bottom of door. The round table was pushed into a dark corner of room with no lighting available for reading, forcing us to sit on the beds near the only lamp. When we checked in, another guest’s belongings were inside the closet. The dead bolt was broken.
The carpet & furniture was soiled, broken bathroom mirror; unwashed & dirty film on windows; refrigerator and microwave unplugged; stove pilot light was off; kitchen tiles chipped; dirty tin foil under stove grates; scratchy blankets; rough & scratchy towels; thin sheets; major air leakage at top and bottom of door; small, dark tiled shower with peeling non-skid strips; no coffee. When begging for the extra towels, I asked if coffee was available in the morning, and the man stated that since the room was only $50.00 per night that coffee was not offered.
I highly suggest NOT staying at Black Horse Motel unless you like flushing money down the toilet. In the past I have located older, cleaner and decent motels for $60 and under. Not this one. Truly, there are NO redeeming qualities about the Black Horse. It is not charming or quaint. Adjectives that come to mind are dirty, dark, derelict, deteriorated, despicable, dingy, depressing, disgusting, deplorable.

Stayed: March 2010