Portofino Hotel(Avalon)(Great Value!)
US$259
  • Room Service
US$299
US$290
Casa Mariquita Hotel(Avalon)(Great Value!)
US$373
US$263
  • Breakfast included
The Avalon Hotel(Avalon)(Great Value!)
US$419
Hermit Gulch(Avalon)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 25/07
US$54
Hotel Mac Rae(Avalon)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 26/07
US$249
US$192
Orbitz.com
Aurora Hotel(Avalon)(Great Value!)
US$729
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 23 November 2015

Wow I've stayed in hotels fitting adjectives ranging from Bad to Awesome. Well, sad to report our room at the boathouse was Awful.

My poor hubby had to stay there for 10 days while I arrived at the tail end of his stay.

We had to walk downstairs a couple flights then turn left at the junkyard. The only maintained part of the exterior was the "lobby" aka front porch. The room was as small as small gets which wouldn't have been so bad if it were at least renovated -- per their claims. The room's flooring was only partially wood and it wasn't finished wood either. In fact the floor wasnt even level. The door opens immediately into a smurf size kitchen area which holds a fridge and a two burner stove. The two beds' comforters were dusty. The microwave was oddly in the middle of the room with a box of kleenex on top that was literally had been pulled out and re-stuffed.

The bathroom was dingy and tiny, with a permanent yellow tinge in the toilet which definitely wasn't pee. The hot side of the faucet pushed out rusty orange water which resembled burnt Tang. And the shower was so tight, even I had trouble not bumping into things.

The a/c was temperamental. The window drapes didn't close fully and we had to tape em shut with e-tape.

They had a handwritten sign saying basically that WiFi sucks so don't call the front desk about it, instead you can hang out in the lobby 24/7. You are SOL my friend.

Yes it was a place to shower and sleep but wow, this was easily on my list of worst hotel rooms ever. I know that sounds very elementary but I can't articulate it any other way.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank Rho K
HermosaHotel, Manager at Catalina Boat House, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2015

Hello Rho,

We apologize that your husband's stay (covered by business) was so unsatisfactory that you have decided to repost this review months later. As explained in a previous response, there were some things that made you uncomfortable that could have been brought to the front desk staff's attention. We would have solved your issues as best to our ability and you and your husband would have had a more comfortable work trip. Thank you for taking the time to leave another review!

Reviewed 14 October 2015

Friendly staff! But not truthful. They wouldn’t even pick us up from Catalina Express however their shuttle was sitting in-front of the Hermosa hotel, at time of booking they said they would pick us up. They did take us back to the ship today, I have to give them that! Disappointed with amenities and room. NOT enough staff to run it. Actually there is no one on the premises, someone drove up from another hotel to issue us a key. They handle their business from their sister hotel the Hermona. the rooms and floor were dirty, bathroom was the worst dirty, rusted, dated and ugly . Hotel is up for sale. Air conditioning unit on timer, it would shut off every hour. It was horrible!!! Weather was extremely hot, we hardly slept turning AC every hour. There was a drunk couple fighting in the room next to us. No security, I almost called 911. Stayed Oct 10-12 it was a waste of my money., The catalina boat house website did a good job hiding all the flaws. I will be posting photos hoping that no one else gets taken like I did. Wish I could get some if not all off my money back. Shame on you Catalina Boat House for running a ghost hotel and taking hard earning peoples money.

Room Tip: Book a room somewhere else until staff, and amenities improve.
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
5  Thank frances h
HermosaHotel, Manager at Catalina Boat House, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2015

Hi Frances,

As explained to you upon booking and at time of arrival, the shuttle is based upon availability and is never guaranteed. We did not have the available staff to run our shuttle on your arrival date, so we apologize for the inconveniences your party encountered.

We are still in the process of remodeling and the room you stayed in is one of the last couple of rooms that is being worked on. We understand that you are upset with the quality of the room, but it is one of the next to be given our new Boat House look. We hope that you come back in the future to see what improvements have been made!

Reviewed 31 August 2015

Disappointing!, I planned a month in advance to take my son on a father son trip.
get to the Long beach boat shuttle go to get or tickets an the Confirmation number I was sent from hotel is wrong and they cant find tickest?get to the island
I can handle the swap out from Hermosa hotel to this place , The hill sucks if you are lugging luggage. Go to the room #14 all the way up hill then down stairs at the bottom smelt musty and moldy. windows where open closed them turned on AC and took a shower to clean up after the sweat of the walk from boat landing. get out of the shower no towels ??? ok I did not see a memo where we to bring our own towels. Lousy wifi at the basement of this room .
I yelled to my son to unpack beach towels . Sunday morning our last day to sleep in and go have a nice breakfast I am awoken at 5:30 am to loud stomping, dragging of chairs kids banging something and water running non stop until 8 am seriously sounded like construction on a Sunday morning?
I paid $250 a night for this? When I finally got a live person after leaving messages . so pissed and no longer wanting to even stay in the room I paid the early ticket for express and left the island canceled plans we had for that Sunday drove back tired and disappointed.
This was one of many stays on the island in the last 17 years and the worst , Drag because this was a important time to spend with my son and the family problems that he was dealing with SO with that !.....No consideration from the hotel, as to call me back or at least say sorry or compensate me for the last crappy night stay. ADVICE stay at the pavilion or one of the main stream hotels this hotel does not give crap .

Room Tip: Stay away from room 14 at the bottom of the hotel especially if you want to rest & have quiet at 5:30 am
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
4  Thank Mhphotoman
Reviewed 26 August 2015

This place is very very affordable... but it does come with at a few costs, comfort, size, location and cleanliness.

Comfort: Spring mattress, 2 small bath towels (very cheap, wall mart style) and 1 very small hand towel. There was no bath mat, so we used the hand towel as the bath mat. We had to ask for toilet paper as the maid must have forgot to put some in the bathroom. The shower curtain is a third of the size of a normal shower curtain, I suppose because they could use each third to barely cover 3 showers. Water sprayed everywhere and the entire bathroom floor was soaked (little hand towel didn't go very far). Photos will be provided. Make sure to bring your own toiletries... this place provides 2 shampoos (no conditioner) and 1 bar of soap. Also, Wifi password did not work.

Size: The room we had was tiny! I'm 5'3" and could touch the ceiling with my hand. There is not much room to move at all. Every time I went to use the toilet I almost smashed my face against the sink as it is so close together. Thank god I didn't have to cook, the kitchen area is equally as claustrophobic. Forget about utilizing the table for eating, there is no other space to place your luggage out of the walk way but the table. I've stayed in places all over asia where people are generally smaller and can get away with tinier spaces... but this place was smaller than any other place I've stayed at in Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia combined!

Location: The hotel is not that far from the ferry or the main area of Avalon. It's quite convenient. It isn't the closest available place, however it is not bad. You do, however, have to walk up a hill to get to it. They supposedly provide golf cart transportation between to the hotel... but somehow that memo wasn't shared with us. Not a big deal, but it would have been appreciated.

Cleanliness: Now this is a big one here. Though the sheets and towels may have been changed... the shower was an absolute disgrace. There was mold on the walls and in the tub! I've never felt more gross showering in a place. Tip to the hotel: use diluted bleach... it kills the mold almost instantly! Cleanliness should never be an issue for a place that charges over $100 for the night. To clean that place would take a generous maximum of 45 minutes and at the minimum wage they would still be making a huge profit! Clean your hotel rooms! It's absolutely disgusting to even allow any guests to be subjected to such unsanitary situations.

On a positive note: The front desk staff was very friendly.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Peter M
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 30 July 2015 via mobile

My family and I arrived on July second before the big holiday and were able to find this little gem on the island. The place is spotless clean very quaint small but a very affordable place to stay. When everybody else was taking full advantage of the holiday weekend price wise these people were still very affordable very helpful and probably one of the nicest days I've ever had on the island.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
HermosaHotel, Manager at Catalina Boat House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2015

We're so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a kind review. We hope to see you again soon!