“Healing retreat, filled with love”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Alachua
Ayurveda Health Retreat
Reviewed 17 October 2011

What a lovely retreat center! I had let stress consume me, and I wanted to be healthy again. Just three days at this retreat center brought my body back into balance. The strength of this center is in the practitioners. For them, service is an act of love, and it shows. I felt instantly bathed in loving kindness from the moment I walked through the door and smelled the delicious blueberry muffins baking. All the workers at the center were gentle and kind, and anything I needed was provided. I developed a cold on the last day, and Richard gave me an Ayurvedic remedy to take home without charge.

Note that this is not a place to go if you want to be pampered in luxury. The rooms were simple and clean, the food is simple, delicious, and nourishing, and the center itself is rather small and in need of a bit of repair on the outside. That said, I'd take this over a fancy spa that focuses on providing merely physical comfort at the expense of real healing any day.

The health consultation provided the perfect start to my retreat, as Richard accurately diagnosed my mental and physical state. He provided simple, reasonable, and moderate guidelines to get me back on track, and his advice was full of gentleness. There's no tyrannical focus on one way of life. Though the Center is vegetarian, my prescription for health included meat options and chocolate!

The food was one of the highlights of my stay. It was simple and so very nourishing. I didn't miss the meat, and my body felt so light and clean after each meal. I can see how a longer stay would promote healthy weight loss for those of us prone to overindulgent or unhealthy eating habits. I especially loved the cooking class. I learned how to make palak paneer and ghee and the best rice ever (and I don't usually like Indian food).

The Royal Panchakarma treatments were deeply relaxing and healing. They seemed to help detoxify my body, and I felt wonderful afterwards. Yoga, in the same spirit of the center, was gentle and relaxing. This is not a boot camp, but a gentle invitation to a healthier way of living.

Other amenities include an inside sitting area with hot tea available all day and two outside sitting areas. If you bring a car, you can travel to nearby Gainesville or go visit the nearby nature areas (Devil's Millhopper, San Felasco Park). Some of the rooms have TVs with DVD players for evening entertainment. Also, the small town of Alachua has a picturesque Main Street that is only one block from the center. It makes for a nice stroll. Otherwise, there's not much to do, which is exactly what a retreat should be.

I've been at home one day so far, and my body still feels relaxed, centered, and happy. The chronic stress pattern was interrupted, and I'm starting to put the principles I learned into practice. I hope to come back for occasional tune ups and to take part in more cooking classes!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Tierra123

Reviewed 28 August 2011

Ayurveda Health Retreat is a family owned and operated center where guests are treated as part of the family. The staff could not have been kinder or more helpful. I will be back.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 August 2011

This is a HEALTH retreat for body, mind, and soul. The accommodations are not those of a luxury resort but the room was comfortable, clean and "homey". Flowers were waiting in my room when I arrived ... a simple touch ... but very much appreciated. The food was simply amazing. Fresh, wholesome, nutritious and absolutely delicious. The staff consisted of the most caring, beautiful, nurturing people I have ever met in my life. Everybody who works here has a smile on their face. The treatments are incredibly relaxing. Yoga was wonderful and the teachers were cognizant of my beginner status and helped me adjust while still keeping the lessons challenging for the more advanced participants. My transformational breathing session with Bhakti was truly transformational and I will always be grateful for the wonderful experience I had. I stayed for 5 nights. I arrived full of grief and feeling "broken". I left feeling alive and renewed. I don't understand the recent review that said the food was awful and out of a can and a box. All our food was fresh, organic and made from scratch. This retreat was simply a magical experience and I am definitely planning to come back for tune-ups!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Caroline C
Reviewed 23 August 2011

I was excited to go to this retreat. I knew the accommodations were not going to be anything special, but I thought the treatments and food would make up for it. Wrong....Yoga was not so great. Food was really awful. I don't mind simple, but out of a can and box, just didn't cut it for me. It is advertised as gourmet vegetarian, but doesn't even come close. I left early and very disappointed. Save your money and do something else. Don't even bother with the health consultation. It was very off in several areas. I will say that Richard and the staff were very nice and ready to please. It just didn't live up to what a health retreat should be or what the reviews lead you to believe...I don't know who wrote the reviews, but I can't believe they were from recent guests.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
6  Thank squirlees
Reviewed 21 July 2011

Wonderful! The people are caring, warm and wonderful. The food was delicious and the cooking class was great! The yoga classes were delightful and the instructors were professional & friendly. If you need to unwind and get back to earth or grounded this is the place.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo

Been to Ayurveda Health Retreat? Share your experiences!