“Excellent Getaway”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Alachua
Ayurveda Health Retreat
Reviewed 11 March 2015

I had an excellent experience at the Ayurveda Health Retreat. I traveled solo to get away from the hustle and bustle of my hectic life. Below are the pros and cons of my stay:
Pros:
- Food: The food was excellent!! I still think about the quinoa that I had for dinner and the hot cereal for breakfast. Please note that I am NOT a vegetarian. I eat meat with every single meal. However, the ingredients of the meals are very fresh (staff went to the farmers market every other day while I was there). I absolutely loved the food...every single meal! Also, meals are family-style, meaning you'll eat at the same time as the employees and the other guests. However, if you want quiet and alone time, they are willing to bring your meals to your room, which I tool advantage of several time during my stay.
- Services: The massage services were excellent as well! Sunflower is the best. She's small, but mighty! Katherine is the kindest person you'll meet. The practitioners are very gentle, kind, and intuitive. Richard is also very kind and caring.
- Accommodations: The accommodations are very modest. It's located in two houses (one behind the other). I liken it to a bed and breakfast (except it's more like a bed and breakfast and lunch and dinner). The room is small (fits a queen bed, small couch, dresser, and two night stands) with not much room to move around. This was fine by me, as I didn't need more space. The bathroom is a nice size as well. It flt as though I was staying with a relative. The room, bathroom, and house overall was very clean. There is also ample parking for your car.

Cons:
- Private bathroom isn't so private. Several people used "my" bathroom during my stay. When I brought it to the attention of management, they were very apologetic. However, others still used the bathroom during me stay. It didn't bother me too much.
- Scheduling: This was a huge issue for me. I tried calling multiple times (three times exactly) before my stay so that I could talk to someone about scheduling my treatments. This was my first time at this retreat and as you could imagine I had a lot of questions. No one returned my call. I wasn't greeted when I arrived. It was as if they didn't know I was coming. Although they did call me the morning of my arrival to confirm my arrival time. During this call I had informed them that I had tried calling all week and never received a return phone call. The person assured me that it wouldn't be a problem to schedule my services when I arrived. When I did arrive, no one was there to greet me, and there was no one to talk to about scheduling my treatments. Richard was very kind and answered all of my questions in absence of anyone from administration. I didn't speak to anyone from administration until the next day when they came and told me that since I had not booked a treatment on Sunday, I wouldn't be able to because they were full. I think Richard may have talked to them because they offered different options to accommodate me, but nothing worked with my schedule. While they were apologetic, I really think that they could have done more to fix this issue. The least they could have done was given me a 10% credit off one of my services. I would have appreciated a least a small gesture for the inconvenience that they caused. Nothing was offered. This added stress to my stay, when my intention was to be completely stress fee. When I checked out, it took over 20 minutes. They didn't have anything printed and ready for my departure even though I told them exactly what time I was leaving. Then they charged me the wrong final payment amount to my credit card. I had to pull up my credit card statement to show them how much they charged for my initial (required) deposit. A customer should not have to do that.

I have an absolutely wonderful experience overall. The practitioners (including the intern and chef) were amazing. The administration side of the retreat was not stellar and prevented me from giving the retreat five stars. I feel as though they are not as understanding and sensitive as the practitioners. But the services are worth it, I would absolutely go back.

Room Tip: If you choose a room with a private bathroom, beware that this doesn't mean that no one will use...
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled solo
6  Thank L D

Reviewed 27 February 2015

This place has without a question strong fundamentals of Ayurveda knowledge. It is very modest, small and you are the center of all team members that work there.
I came there with a strong pain in my left side, where my digest system is, and after few days on the Ayurveda diet and some herbs, the pain was gone. And I just stay for 3 days of panchakarma. Impressive! An area of improvement is the location, it is close to many highways, very noisy. And the house isolation was poor, so you could hear everything that was going on in the kitchen and the room next to you.
But the highlights of this retreat for me was the Vedic reading, Nalini Kant. He was formally trained with the highest science that can read the stars so precisely that you would be amazed about what he can know about you. I am so grateful that I learned more about my life with him. Be ready to face the truth about your soul. Record your section, because it is a lot details and guidance for your life on the following years. Nalini is a gift for those who has the chance to meet him.

• Stayed: February 2015
4  Thank FlaviaSun
Reviewed 12 February 2015

I found the Retreat to be a place of calming, caring atmosphere. You can truly unwind and be nurtured and let the focus be on you! I had the best massage, oil treatments, and steam bath of my life!! My massage therapist worked her magic with skillful and heavenly massage, creating a blissful and calming state. I would recommend this retreat for men or women who desire an opportunity to explore the many treatments and modalities offered for relaxation, great food, skillful teaching, self-awareness and good health. You won't be disappointed!'

• Stayed: February 2015
Reviewed 31 December 2014

I am delighted that the Ayurveda Health Retreat is only 1.5 hours from my home. I enjoy the ambiance, the fellowship and the peace of this home like setting. The food is wonderful as well. I plan to visit quarterly for panchakarma treatments between the seasons to keep a check on my health in a natural way. I love this place.

Room Tip: This Health Retreat offers comfortable accommodations that allow you to relax and rejuvenate. If yo...
  • Stayed: October 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 December 2014

I have to be honest, I've been on the fence about the AHR for quite some time, but I finally made the decision to go during the winter break, and let me tell you, it was the best choice I could have made. Richard was so helpful, and easy to talk to, and really guided my stay toward a relaxing, meditative, yoga, nature, eating-well retreat. I would recommend AHR enthusiastically to anyone that might need a re-boot, re-charge, and allow yourself to be re-invigorated!!! Do it! You will love it.

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Samantha S

Been to Ayurveda Health Retreat? Share your experiences!