“Great restaurant overlooking the water”
Review of Blue Water Grill

Blue Water Grill
Ranked #38 of 210 Restaurants in San Pedro
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Asian, Caribbean
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Since 2001, a restaurant on the beach in San Pedro, Belize. Owned by a local girl. Committed to our customers and our community. To learn more about our work in the community or to donate, We serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day..
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We tried this restaurant our first night in San Pedro and they were booked so we returned with reservations the next night.

Great choice for our family. Everyone had food they were excited about. It was the only restaurant I ate at in Belize that indicated what was gluten free on the menu. A major plus.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,673)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The Blue Water Grill is pretty. Set on the beach, the building is mostly a wood deck with a large bar. It’s clean, busy and has the best views on San Pedro.

Reservations are recommended, particularly on the weekends, but walk-ins are accepted with a bit of attitude. My wife and I walked the beach and entered without reservations. We were asked to sit at the bar until a table could be prepared. The wait, we were told, would be about 45 minutes.

Live Reggae and Ska music and crowd noise filled the bar area. The bartenders worked furiously to serve drinks at the bar and for the wait staff. Sometimes it could be difficult to attract a bartender’s attention in the mayhem. We met another couple that was also waiting for a table for two. They had been waiting about a half hour when we arrived. We talked with them for another half hour and they still had not been called. Strangely, there were several open tables available for long periods of time. After another ten minutes, the other woman and I approached the hostess and asked if our two parties could be combined into a table for four since one such table was available. The hostess explained that she was just about to come to the bar to get the other couple because their table for two was ready. My wife and I waited just a short while longer before we were seated at another table for two.

Blue Water is a popular place and it is common to have large groups. Two such groups were seated near us and they drew most of the wait staff attention. Our waitress appeared in a reasonable amount of time and took our drink order. It took about 15 minutes to return with our drinks. While waiting, we were served water. After our drinks, the waitress took our dinner order. While waiting for dinner, we were served bread with olive oil. We had to wait some time for Balsamic vinegar.

My wife ordered the brisket pizza and I ordered the Diablo Alfredo. Our meals were served in a reasonable amount of time and they were hot. My wife’s pizza was good but the BBQ sauce and other wet ingredients made for a soggy crust. I’m not a fan of sweet and the BBQ sauce was molasses based and sweet. My wife likes Balsamic vinegar on her pizza and this pizza needed it to help cut the sweetness. Unfortunately, after our meal was served, nobody on the staff returned to our table for more than 20 minutes. No check up, no water refills. We sat with empty drinks and my wife did not eat her pizza after the first slice because she wanted vinegar.

My Diablo Alfredo was delicious. The sauce was creamy with a perfect viscosity. The finish was pleasantly hot. The seafood was fresh and cooked perfectly. My wife did not enjoy watching me eat alone.

When the waitress finally came back to the table my wife’s pizza was cold. My wife explained that she was angry about the staff disappearing act after our meal was served. We wanted more wine and Tequila with our meal but couldn’t get it. We asked for the bill. The waitress apologized and left. Shortly thereafter, the hostess, who is also the manager, arrived followed by the busboy with a water pitcher.

My wife explained the poor service to the manager, who apologized profusely and explained that the waitress was bogged down with the two large groups near us. She also explained that she tries to manage the staff as best she can by keeping tables open for a while (hence the open tables while people are waiting at the bar) so the staff can “catch up”. In reality, the problem is inadequate staffing. If you can’t keep up with a full house you don’t have enough staff on hand. Large groups, especially in a place that frequently has large groups, should not be a problem. A manager/hostess can help the staff catch up by occasionally serving meals and walking the floor to check on guests when glasses are empty. Staying behind the hostess stand is not the best way to keep a pulse on the place.

The manager sent over key lime pie and flourless chocolate cake. I’m not a key lime pie fan, but it was one of the better ones I’ve tried. The chocolate cake was also good. At the end of the night, we asked for our check and we were told that the meal was on the house.

One week later, we made reservations and when we walked in our table was waiting for us. It was the same table we had a week earlier. We went back to give the place another chance to impress us. I thought my meal was good and the view was terrific. On this second visit, the service was effusive. Water glasses filled before becoming empty, balsamic vinegar brought within one minute of request, several staff members checking up on us. It was service that one would expect at five star American restaurants but it felt a bit over the top in the more relaxed atmosphere of San Pedro. The service was fantastic in the same way that make up sex is fantastic. There was another large group near our table this time but we did not feel ignored.

This time my wife ordered the filet mignon and I ordered the mixed grill. Our meals arrived promptly and hot. My wife’s steak was cooked as ordered and it was tender and tasty. My mixed seafood was cooked perfectly. The scallops were tender and sweet and the shrimp were firm. The grouper was flaky and moist. The coconut reduction was a great accompaniment to the seafood and the mashed potatoes and vegetables. Highly recommended.

The hostess/manager came to our table to see how everything went and the conversation was much more pleasant than the one a week prior.

While the service may be spotty sometimes, the quality of the food and the beach view always make this place a worthwhile stop.

1  Thank Dead Skunk S

Very disappointed.
We waited 45 minutes for breakfast and nearly missed our boat. A table that arrived after us was served first. I complained to the waiter and he said "can't you see we have a big group ". Nice.

We walked out in the end.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Great food but very busy and we thought loud . Often big tables of people. We didn’t find it great for couples despite its idyllic setting , but perhaps it was the time of year .

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Located on the beach you have a great view from anywhere inside. Quality service! Very friendly staff! Our food was very good and we loved the fresh juices. We arrived shortly after opening in the morning so it was quiet and beautiful...a great start to the day. You will want to add Blue Water Grill to your places to eat!!

1  Thank Lisa S