Lowest prices for your stay
RM 1,223
Curio
Save with Hilton Honours Rewards
Jen M
Boston, Massachusetts

Not a good time for anyone under 75

1.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 31 Oct 2023
I don't know where to start. Please do not pick this resort based on the pictures on the website. Please do not pick this resort based on the reviews from people prior to 2021.
The hotel has a lot going on (Construction) without having anything going on. This was the most boring resort I have ever stayed at. There were 0 events/activities happening on site, the beach club is nice and boring with lots of sand flies/fleas/lice (whatever you want to call them) and again no activities. I'm just not sure what you're supposed to do at Mahogany Bay other than sleep, listen and watch the construction, stare at the clouds and get eaten alive by the mosquitoes and the sand lice. They are basically on a swamp and do nothing to counter the bugs, especially the mosquitoes so be prepared to be breakfast, lunch, dinner and a snack for them.
They don't have different restaurants or food options on site for you to choose from. No coffee maker or hot water kettle in the room to make your own coffee or tea in the morning.
I am 40 years old, I wasn't looking for a party resort but I definitely felt like I wasted my money on what should be a 65 plus resort or a resort for retirees. My 70 year old parents refused to stay here after my experience and I ended up booking them at a different resort on the island.
After staying at the Hilton Tulum Riviera Maya, this was a huge disappointment for me, my family and friends and a complete waste of money. This did not feel like a Hilton hotel at all and did not live up to the other experiences I have had at other Hilton Hotels and Resorts.

Did I mention I came back home with my entire back and shoulders covered in severe bites from whatever is in the sand, water and trees of their Beach Club!
Suggestions:
Get some events/activities going for all ages or simply become a 70 plus only resort!!!
Do something about the Mosquitoes!!!!
Upgrade your rooms with more amenities!!!
Date of stay: August 2023
Room Tip: Not worth the money. Make sure they aren't doing construction.
1.0 of 5 bubblesValue
    RM 1,076
  • eDreams
3.4 km from Mahogany Bay Resort & Beach Club, Curio Collection by Hilton
Pool
Enjoy that view and the sea breeze!!!
    RM 615
    RM 764
4.0 km from Mahogany Bay Resort & Beach Club, Curio Collection by Hilton
View more hotels in San Pedro
1,196 results
All reviews taco shack family cottage dirty martini garden cottage diamond member private beach is beautiful the cottages golf cart the main house minute boat ride main restaurant sea lice paddle boards fitness center ambergris caye bug spray tacos
Selected filters
Reviewed 31 October 2023

Overall the property was beautiful and the staff was great!! I am a HH Diamond member and was upgraded from a regular King Garden Cottage to a King Keeping Suite with a front porch and kitchenette area as well as provided a daily $15 food credit. Two items that I think travelers should be mindful of: We were there the last week in October 2023, right before high season which begins (Nov 15th). The gym, spa, and arial yoga was closed because the resort was not as heavily booked. This was a disappointment because I was not told this in advance and it was not posted anywhere while making the reservation online. One of the main reasons I choose this location because I wanted to try the arial yoga as well as go to the spa. Also there is no beach area where the cottages are. You have to catch a boat over to their private island, which is beautiful and has amenities and water crafts. The shuttle boat ran every hour and a half, it started 10:00 am and the last boat left the island at around 5:00 pm. This was not a lot of time to spend at the beach. I am a morning person and would have loved to walk along the beach at sunrise, which could not be done due to the boat shuttle schedule.

Review collected in partnership with Curio – A Collection by Hilton
1  Thank NorthStar766045
Reviewed 19 October 2023

I stayed here recently with a friend for a quinceañera. The resort was great. We had a 3 bedroom and it was exactly as I had hoped. Honestly, though, my favorite part was the little coffee shop. It was quaint, and the coffee was excellent. I ordered affogato's every day. The barista Jessica was the best part of our day. She was kind, and friendly and I'd come back just to see her. Jess, you made our coffee afternoons the best part of our day!!

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank VegasBB123
Reviewed 16 October 2023 via mobile

Positives first!

Friendly staff.
Nice bar area.
Decent Pool.
Airport pick up was on time but vehicle was filthy.

Negatives

This is NOT a four star resort.
No room service whatsoever .
No tea of coffee facilities in room in lieu of room service.
They did not even provide a shower cap far less cotton buds, sewing kit etc etc I specifically requested a shower cap at reception and was told” we don’t provide those”
Staff although very pleasant are totally inefficient, poorly trained and under supervised .
Rooms need a total renovation, shabby is being generous.
Whole resort area is a building site which is not mentioned .
Mosquitoes are a serious problem, more than you would normally expect. This hotel complex is basically in the middle of a mosquito swamp with virtually no counter measures taken by the hotel.
The Beach Club is far too far away from the hotel by speedboat and is very poor quality if you make the effort to go don’t waste your time.
Cleanliness is rather poor and towels are poor quality.

Hairdresser on site charged $150 US dollars for a wash, blow dry and make up. Bride was charged $375 for a similar appointment !

Safe to say we have made our one and only visit to this resort. Good luck to anyone who ventures there.

Room tip: Don’t go.
Date of stay: July 2023
4  Thank ClifftopLady
Reviewed 16 October 2023

The good things were that the staff was absolutely awesome during our entire experience at the hotel. They really did a great job in making us feel welcome and since it was our first time they also assisted us in getting to the island safely and set up a shuttle for us as well. We did however encounter some opportunities with our stay. Our biggest “gripe” I’d say was the “exclusive area” that you take a boat to. The scenery is phenomenal, up until you get off the boat. The area is infested with Sea lice that will sting you as you go around the water, especially if you walk (the water is not deep so it doesn’t make sense to swim everywhere). The hammocks are great, but the grass underneath is where the sea lice seem to have made a home. The raised platforms with lounging area are great, but you have to pay for them, even if they’re empty! The staff also is a bit pushy with food/drinks in this area. The music there is also so loud that it is hard to communicate if you decide to go and get food / beverages yourself. I understand that it has to be loud so the entire area can hear the music, but it does interrupt the ambience if you just want to relax on the raised platforms. We didn’t stay long in this area due to the inability to enjoy water without being attacked by the sea lice. I do like that the hotel does provide ways to stay out of the water presumably for this reason. At the “great house” during our stay we also noticed that the inside seating area was unavailable during our visit for renovations; but it would have been nice to use because of the mosquitos. I did see some “off” being provided at the bar which was nice. The last opportunity i had was the view while sitting outside of the great house while sitting at the tables. The view is incredibly interrupted by the expansion going on across the water. All you see and hear for part of the day is the construction equipment running. You also hear this in your room for most of the day as well if you were planning to go back to the room and just relax. I also am not sure why there are these beautiful swings that should overlook the water, but are blocked by bushes directly in front of them which block the view. I am not sure if this is due to the potential for Crocodile attacks in the lagoon. I understand the need for expansion, but the hotel just doesn’t seem “complete” at this current time. One last thing i noticed on the dinner menu was the “Vegetarian” options. Several of the items listed as Vegetarian were definitely not. Example, Lobster Clam Chowder, or the Honey Pecan Chicken. Definitely need to fix that.

Review collected in partnership with Curio – A Collection by Hilton
4  Thank thomas a
Reviewed 11 October 2023

This might appear to be luxury...but it is not. The Hilton's used inexpensive building materials for the bathroom and cost saving window designs...the result is noisy and plain room accomodation. Although the lobby is beautiful the pool is simple and looks a bit mirky. They are basically building on a natural estuary reserve and redesigning nature itself. I did not feel comfortable in the remote 'colony' like place obviously taking out natural areas with bulldozers in plain view. The room was not equipped with anything particully beautiful, in contrast, one of the only decorations was a cow horn?? As a hanger which did not add to a feeling of carribean beauty. The staff is wonderful, as seems normal to the Belizean people...warm and friendly. The resort itself was not fantastic for us. Noisy and sparing on room design.

4  Thank Kristy S