Lowest prices for your stay
Fully refundable before Fri, 3 May
jaetee
Canada
Wonderful stay
4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 30 Dec 2019via mobile
A friend and I stayed here from December 20-27th. It was our first time and in Belize and from the moment we arrived until the moment we left, we felt so welcomed and at home. Check in at the front desk was quick and smooth. Everyone working at Caribbean Villas was kind, helpful and knowledgeable. The location was great to walk into town via the road or the beach. Very central location. The front desk will arrange anything you need from bikes to golf carts to snorkelling from the pier. The restaurant food is amazing as are the drinks. I wouldn’t say they are any more overpriced than anywhere else on the island. We never experienced hot water problems, the hot water was plentiful. The rooms although a little worn and rough, were comfortable and clean and the fridge kept our beer cold. The views are unbeatable and the patio to enjoy drinks on was a nice treat. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to a chill place, with great food and amazing people.
Date of stay: December 2019
  • Official Hotel Site
    RM 669
13.1 km from Caribbean Villas Hotel
View more hotels in San Pedro
All reviews office staff front office water pressure air conditioner coffee maker caye caulker ocean front pier town island tours seaweed bakery cart
Selected filters
Reviewed 1 December 2019

We had a fantastic time at Caribbean Villas! I agree with other reviews that mention this is not a high end, luxury hotel but for the time we spent in the room and the feel of living the simple island life, it was just fine. The food and drinks were great as was the time we spent at the Dock Bar. The kids went crazy at the water park while we watched football and sipped on island cocktails! The staff was also very friendly and a lot of fun to hang out with. Special shot out to Jerry our favorite bartender and Leroy aka “Happy Man”!

Date of stay: November 2019
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 22 October 2019

First of all, DON'T be expecting a five star american resort. This is NOT the US :) Rooms were basic and clean, and had everything you needed. Pools were lovely and food and bar were great too. We had a small issue first day with no hot water, but that was due to a breaker after bad weather the day before and was a quick fix. All the staff were super nice and helpful, and they kept the grounds spotless. I would go back there in a heart beat! Be aware, this is not the best beach for swimming, as the way the tides come in from the reef bring a bit of debris and water visibility isn't great. However, we found lots of other great places to go into the water, and were perfectly happy by the pool in the shade. Had an amazing week at Caribbean Villas and can't wait to go back!

Date of stay: October 2019
2  Thank Erin K
Reviewed 12 October 2019

I booked a one bedroom for $61 per night through AirBnB. In San Pedro, I find it is best to just have a clean place near the beach that has a locked door, A/C, WiFi, a bathroom and a clean space. Although this pretty much provided that, the few issues I had, I am not going to complain about given the price but I am going to tell you about them. Again, not really complaining but here was a bit of my experience with this hotel.

Where do I start?

First the location is great, just south of the city of San Pedro on the beach. Now, on the beach in the off season is only great if the the beach is well maintained. It was not. Sea grass piles up on the beach every day and the smell of it rotting has an over powering smell of sulfur. Once you walk past the beach on the long pier you no longer smell it. At the end of the pier is a fun water slide and a zip line over the water which was fun. There is also a bar down there. On Sunday we got a great couples massage right next to the water out on the pier. It was awesome and a real bargain.
On days when more guests arrived they did make an effort to rake it up but it is a losing battle and part of going to San Pedro off season. No big deal.

Other "issues" were we had a huge rain storm one night and I woke to what sounded like a waterfall in my room. It was. The rain was coming through my door and left a huge puddle on the floor. An easy fix. They need a $5 tube of silicone to seal the door jam. I did see one dead roach by the toilet but hey it is the Caribbean. Overall the place was very clean.

We were not prepared for the bats. Yes, bats. Hundreds of them. There is a beautiful fruit tree in the center of the property that is a huge draw for fruit bats. Although it was a bit off putting in the beginning if you are not used to bats flying at you, if you put your head down and walk, they just fly right by you. That was a highlight of the trip actually. They are harmless and it adds the sense of adventure. Every time I wanted to complain about anything, I would stop myself and say "what do you want? It is $61 per night."

The bar was really fun and the drinks were amazing. Monica is really nice!!! She is awesome and my girlfriend and I both agree that hanging out with her and Glenn, who is a bartender there were one of the highlights of the trip.

My only real complaint was with the rest of the staff. When we returned from being out and about we wanted to go swimming and went to get some beach towels. When you walk up there is a building on the right with open doors stacked with towels. We went in to get one and a voice from the back instructed us to go to the front office. We did. The manager was really bothered that she had to get up and walk us back to where we just came from and give us the EXACT towels that my girlfriend returned to the shelf when instructed to go to the office.This could have been solved with a walkie talkie. "the guests in 1B are grabbing two towels" Done.

Other than Monica and Glenn, nobody seemed very happy to be there. Apparently the guy who owns the place is not well liked on the island. I think his name is Peter. I never met him. I do know a few locals as I love to go to Belize and they did not have nice things to say about him. Maybe the rest of the staff shares the view of my friends down there about him. Although the guy at the office was nice.

All in all, I would still highly recommend this place. It being off season at the time of my visit, I would hope that a lot of the issues would go away when the place is fully staffed. The grass is not there during the high season and the other things well. I am pretty easy to please (when I am spending $61 per night to be 30' from the beach). If you are a fancy person and want 5 star amenities this is not your place. However, if you want to be in paradise on a budget, this is your spot. Now if I was to pay anywhere near $100 or more for this place I would have been really angry but hey, a deal is a deal but I would not pay more than $75 per night to have the experience I did and be happy.

To be clear, Monica and Glenn are the reason I am going with Very Good on this review and not lower. If it was not for them I would probably rate this at average or poor but I just don't think that would be fair considering the off season time of my visit and the fact that I had a great time otherwise in Belize.

Room tip: If you are by the beach off season it is going to smell outside.
Date of stay: October 2019
Reviewed 6 October 2019

This is not a luxury resort so do not be confused. This is a hotel with a paper list of amenities that sound very good, until you arrive. Other guests were crying when we stayed there because their expectations were mismatched. My family, including my in-laws, were so angry at having booked here. You can avoid this by doing research, and I suggest you do it. If you are OK with a worn down budget hotel/hostel, that has a pool and bar, you are good to go. If you are actually looking for a lux or semi-lux experience, this is not for you.

Let's see what I can mention what's happened in just the 1-2 days we've been here:
- The golf carts rented to customers are at market prices, but are very used and ragged. You will laugh when you see what the modern golf carts driven by others on the island look like. But not laugh when (like us) your carts stop working in the middle of the island, repeatedly.
- We've had every possible toilet issue. When we showed up they don't flush. When we tried to use them, they don't actually flush waste down so you can get a long view and smell of your waste. After they do flush, they run.
- Maintenance is overwhelmed. They will only come to your unit after 10AM or so, despite advertising coming sooner.
- We had to inquire at other hotels to use their facilities, which is very embarrassing when traveling with in-laws.
- The rooms feel very old and dated and worn.
- The mattresses feel limp with use.

Date of stay: December 2018
2  Thank tobywonder
Reviewed 28 August 2019

Great hotel in a perfect location. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The team at Caribbean Villas go out of their way to make your stay special, they are friendly and very professional. A particular mention for Leroy who organised so great excursions for us and was always available to help and have a joke with. We’ll definitely be back.

Date of stay: August 2019