“sinking boat - no captain”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Protech Dive Centre
Reviewed 24 November 2008

When we arrived in Belize, Peter (the owner) picked us up for our first dive - without asking for our PADI OWD or any other certification. After our first dive, he didn’t join us on the other dives - just a dive master was there and nobody was on the boat while we where diving.

The worst thing happened on out 4th dive-day when the boat sank with all our equipment. Before our dive I asked Peter whether we can go out with this boat because the conditions were rough outside the reef and he told me that it is no problem. When we were out of the reef I decided not to dive because the conditions where very rough so my buddy went diving alone with the dive master and I remained on the boat together with the owner. That was also where he told me, that he hopes that they will not go with the current because it would be very complicated for him to pick them up somewhere else in this conditions because of his bad boat driving skills. (he’s not a captain)

It was a problem, because his boat had a (old!) leak and when it started to fill with water he just did not know what to do except of knocking on the outside of the boat so that the dive master came up (without my boyfriend) and started to shovel the water out of the boat. I had to hold to cables together because this was the only way the water pump worked. The owner didn’t help us. Just the Dive master, my boyfriend and I were working to hold the boat over the water until another boat came to get us out (about 30 minutes). While trying to pull the boat to the coast, it sank.

On his webpage he says, that he has 3 boats - and the smallest one is not able to go out of the reef in rough conditions. That was exactly the boat we went out with. Afterwards, the locals told us that this is not the first time his boat sank and that this is the only boat he has since a longer time.

Fortunately he paid us for the lost equipment (after we informed the police).

9  Thank Aynaet
Reviewed 26 March 2007

Just came back from our second year of diving with Protech - a superb experience. Protech's divemasters have unparrelled knowledge of the area, great diving experience, and an easygoing, comfortable style. The whole crew was a lot of fun to be around. You get special attention thanks to the smaller group sizes which makes for a fun and safe experience. Protech is a smart operation with really nice equipment if you are renting and lots of useful information about the island and, of course, the diving. Thanks to Peter, Israel, Isiah, Orlando and Anna for an extroardinary week of adventures!

3  Thank hycats
Reviewed 9 March 2007

I just returned from a quick 6 day dive trip to Ambergris Caye. Having been a diver and instructor for more than 30 years; I have a lot to compare to, and protech was wonderful to work with. Peter the owner went out of his way to accomodate special requests,. When I was unable to find a dive operator willing to take me deeper into Blue Hole than their standard cattle boat limited to a 130 foot-8 minute tourst dive; he personally organized a special trip for me with himself as my partner (and my non-diver wife so she could snorkel); and did so with only 1 day notice and for exactly the same price as I would have paid for one of the tour-guide baby-sitter trips that only let you dive the hole for about 8 minutes. Thanks to him I managed to film the deeper stallactite formations at 170 feet +, for a 70 minute run-time which would otherwise have been inaccessible with any other dive operator; and he was a perfect dive partner as well. After our diving, he even took hours of his time to offer his local knowledge and help my wife and I plan a land tour in mainland Belize. Thank You Peter again for your first class service and attention and I most definitely plan to return with a group to dive with YOU. For those of you considering dives in Belize; definitely call on Peter at: ---, or email them at counter@protechdive.com. If you want to e-mail me for advice, feel free at FGrieger@aol.com.

7  Thank NAUI6330