“Watch out for bed bugs”
Review of Ignacio's Cabins

We can't find prices for this hotel
Ignacio's Cabins
Ranked #18 of 19 Hotels in Caye Caulker
Reviewed 28 January 2013

My boyfriend and I stumbled upon these cabins after walking south from the San Pedro Express water taxi. Wanting to save some money, we opted to go for it. The good: the owner of the place seemed friendly and laid back. The cabins were out of the 'hustle and bustle' of the main strip of Caye Caulker, so it was peaceful and beautiful, right along the coastline. The bad: the cabins were in disrepair and there was no light in the bathroom. And last but not least, the ugly: the toilet smelled downright awful, almost like methane, whenever you flushed. And there were bed bugs. And we got bites. Lots of them. We couldn't make it through the night knowing they were there, so we booked it out of there to the Plaza Hotel around midnight. Do yourself a favor and look into other budget options!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Claire R

Reviewed 28 August 2012

I'm reading a lot of negative reviews of Ignacio's, and they're all kinda bumming me out - but none seem surprising, given what the place really was, and how the other visitors did or did not receive the accommodations.

The lack of "hot" water did admittedly freak me out a bit. That said: I was there in "off" season, when it's not at it's hottest... and I was so hot, that my body adjusted and it was all fine, after a few days.

The sounds of the ocean waves just outside our windows, was heaven. The cross-ventillation from the abundance of windows, perfect. The window screens? Not perfect- but we also didn't get eaten alive, at any point. I think after 10 days, my partner and I both got a few bites apiece, total, while in the country.

It's clean, simple, island living. It has wifi that is admittedly slow; but that's not why we were there (and most places we experienced, had slow wifi- Popeye's down the road, had great wifi, but was the only place on the island with decent wifi). If you need nicely finished floors, a TV, A/C, elegant bedding, pillow mints, etc.; this is not your place. Really: It's a freakishly hot island, I was also a bit put-off by no comforter... but the single top-sheet was barely used, and there were blankets if needed.

If you're a first-world refugee looking to bliss-out in island simplicity, this place could not be more perfect. The only detractions, were the 2 younger folks from Southern California, who seemed a bit freaked-out by the rustic-ness.

Also: being at the end of the beach, it was in the most quiet spot on the island. We indulged in the night-life, and then each night had a lovely 15-20min walk "home" along the beach, to our quiet little piece of oceanside heaven. In the AM? Breakfast, than home for a dip- then activities, then home for a dip. Then dinner, then out for drinks- then home for a dip, then bed. <3

Room Tip: The ocean-front "premium" cabins are only BZ$20 more, and so worth it (from two backpacker...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank ninavizz
Reviewed 22 August 2012

We decided to stay at Ignacio's based on a few of the good reviews here and price. The person who left the review of "one step above camping" wasn't lying. I thought "well, i can take it a bit rougher than most, I'm sure it's not that bad"... but it is. i will never stay here again and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. We had planned on staying on the island for 12 days so booked our reservation as such. We got the "deluxe cabin" that most of the pictures are of. One window didn't have a screen at all and the screens that are on the windows aren't fine enough to keep out he sand flies, so be prepared to be eaten alive. I lost the cable to my camera, otherwise I'd show you pictures of my back. After day 5 I couldn't take it anymore and my fiance went down to talk to the owners about it and we showed them my back and they said it was just part of "island life" and didn't show any sympathy at all. We had to move to a different hotel on the island and the owner charged us an additional $150 US because we didn't stay the entire 11 nights even after seeing the bites that covered 75% of my back. The hot water in the deluxe cabin is luke warm, if it works at all (it's just a heating element in the showerhead that seems to pop off like a breaker switch and doesn't work at all from time to time). They do have Dish for TV but only 2 channels are even watchable, but even then it's just a snowy picture, not clear at all. Also, not only does the owner and his wife/kids live on the property, so does his brother and his wife/kids so there is no privacy. One night the owner's brother and wife got into a very loud argument and decided to have it right at the base of the stairs to our cabin. Another day, my fiance and I were trying to have an afternoon nap and the owner's son decided to climb the steps to the cabin, peer in all the windows and yell at us to show off his new toy, again, absolutely no privacy. This is one of the worst experiences I've had at a "hotel" and would suggest you look elsewhere for accomodation unless you want a very rugged backpacking type stay and are immune to sand flies and mosquiots, not to mention the large ants you'll find nightly crawling everywhere. The last two nights we were there, we slept with all the lights on just to help cut down on the bug population. Also, it is about a 15min walk just to get out of the "boonies" of the island and to where most of the action is.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ringolover5
Reviewed 22 August 2012

I thought Ignacio's Cabins was very good compared to the price; the room was fine, the toilet was clean and it had a good view over the ocean (but then again, I suppose the majority of hostels in Caye Caulker has that). The staff was friendly, and from our room we had the pleasure to see rays swimming aorund in the surface of the water. If you don't want to use a lot of money on hostels, this is definitely a good choice! And though it might not be the best hostel in Caye Caulker, that doesn't really matter, because you're most likely not to spend any time in your room (except from sleeping) when you're visiting Caye Caulker.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I stayed here for a couple of nights and spent no time in the cabanas as they are in very poor condition.

Also my beloved leatherman multitool vanished from my room.

If you value your property you might want to re think this accomodation.

I asked about my missing leatherman tool but got no satisfaction from the owner!!! I should have mentioned it to the islands tourist police but i was leaving at 8am and couldnt get a chance to do so.

Please choose carefully!!!