All reviews maya beach jaguar room creamsicle dreamsicle house king conch hibiscus room joya del mar kingfish hotel bistro owners john false caye beautiful beach belize city cinnamon rolls bowling alley fabulous food private pool
Reviewed 15 June 2018

My husband and I stayed at Maya Beach Hotel May 26-June 2, 2018 and loved it so much! This small resort is very quaint, very clean and relaxing. We arrived @ the resort in the morning, much earlier than our check in time....luckily nobody was in our room (Flip Flop Palace 2) previously so we were able to get in before our check in time, which was nice because we took a red-eye into Belize. We ate breakfast at the Bistro, which has AMAZING food, and reasonably priced. Our room was very spacious clean,comfy bed, with a kitchen, huge bathroom & balcony w/ a beautiful view. Everyone @ Maya Beach resort is so kind and accommodating. We never had any problems w/ the staff or w/ any requests we had. Matthew that works the bar was wonderful, along w/ Denver & Oscar...everyone else was wonderful too! There is a really nice pier on the resort w/ hammocks and chairs, but also hammocks throughout the resort for relaxation. We took kayaks to False Caye which is about 45 min. straight out off the beach from the resort (you can see it from the beach) there are some coral heads out that way that you can see, but there's not a beach for you to put your kayak, so you will have to either jump out of the kayak and snorkel, or just stay in the kayak. We did a few tours, we did the Silk Caye snorkeling tour, and Xunantunich Mayan Ruin tour, and also went to the blue hole after the mayan tour because it was so hot! The blue hole is beautiful! (not to be mistaken for the other blue hole for divers). We ate at the Bistro every night, but also took advantage of their happy hour, they have a great one, so don't miss it! The conch ceviche is wonderful! We went into the village several times, the taxi is $20- usa one way, so try to catch a taxi taking guests to the airport as you will pay half of that, or take the bus for $1.00 (it takes you a little while longer but way less expensive AND it's an experience). We did eat at Wendy's at the village, ask for the Belizean plate, SOOOO good! Also, make sure you visit my friend Kaj's jewelry store, you can't miss it, it's called "Treasure Box" or "Kaj Expressions" everything is handmade! She also has "Cool Coconuts" at the end of the pier at The Village, they chop the coconut open right in front of you, you can have just regular coconut water, or they can add a shot of coconut rum, it's soooo refreshing. This resort is a must, you will not regret it! Thank you to all the staff at Maya beach Resort, and to all the cooks at The Bistro!!!! you guys are amazing!!!!

3  Thank Jamie M
Reviewed 8 June 2018 via mobile

Words could never begin to describe this paradise! We stayed in Flip Flop Palace #2. This room has everything for my husband and myself. The kitchen was completely stocked with utensils to make breakfast, lunch, or dinner. The ceiling fans and air conditioning allowed us to make the room as comfortable as we liked. The bed, sheets, and comforter made for the best sleep in years. The shower was perfect for two. The waves crashing on the shore made for a relaxing and calming sound that helped my drift to sleep.
Marlin who greeted us when we arrived was so knowledgeable and helpful through our stay. I don't know what we would have done without him.
Out of all the places we have ever stayed, this place has surpassed all of them.
Thank you so much for everything!
The couple from Wyoming!

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MtnJonesFam
Reviewed 4 June 2018

We reserved this for a one-night stay in Placencia and had the best night of our 10 days in Belize. We stayed in the Kingfish Suite, a private cabana right on the beach, and luxuriated in the sounds and breezes of the ocean filling our room all night long. The on-property bistro is said to be the best restaurant in the Placencia area, and it was certainly the best we ate at anywhere in Belize. Had our plans been more flexible, we would have stayed longer, but we enjoyed our evening in paradise.

Reviewed 28 May 2018

My wife and I did some field work in Placencia with some friends and we decided to stay in a hotel rather than at our friends place. What a great decision. We met the owners on day one and they were amazingly cordial and friendly. They offered us a room with a price we could not refuse (we had a free place to stay elsewhere, but decided to stay here instead). Everything about this resort was perfect. Not a hotel so all the rooms were different and we stayed in the toucan room upstairs. the bed was more comfortable than my own bed and that says a lot. The ac was nice and kept the room cool, but we could have easily left windows open (with screens) and let the breeze keep the room cool. It's right on the ocean so our view in the morning was directly onto the Caribbean Sea. When we weren't in the field looking for snakes and crocodiles, we were on the dock as this was the most relaxing place I have ever been. We fell asleep numerous times in the hammock and also just enjoyed the tranquility of the atmosphere of the area! The staff at this place was also amazing. Each and every person had a warm (non forced) greeting. It was as if they enjoyed their job and were grateful that we were there!
The second day we were there we walked in to ask to borrow the bikes (they had bikes, kayaks, paddleboards, etc for the guests to borrow whenever). The owners said jokingly, here are the zoo keepers, maybe they can help with our local wildlife. WE turned around and sure enough a spiny tailed iguana was on the door inside the office. We were happy to oblige moving her outside and back to her habitat and they were grateful for the help.
Overall I cannot stress enough that if you are staying anywhere in Placencia then stay here! Away from the hustle and bustle, but still in a great part of the area. You will not be disappointed!!!
And lastly, we were overly expressed with their environmentally friendly attitude. only offered straws if asked for, biodegradable plastic bags, bio degradable to go boxes, recycling bins (the only place on the island we saw them). Very eco friendly and it did not go un-noticed!

Room Tip: We liked toucan room, but many others to choose from.
4  Thank MichaelM6882
Reviewed 26 May 2018

Stayed here for 6 days during the rainy season and it was the perfect time to come here. There weren't too many people in town. The waves can be heard from your room, and the view is nice to look at every morning and afternoon. The A/C worked, the Wi-Fi was decent, and the amount of space I had while staying in the Jaguar Room was great. My only complaint was that on my last full day, the water began to shut off as I was halfway done cleaning myself and I had to get my dad to contact the front desk to turn it back on.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family