“Come often, stay as long as you can”
Review of Maya Beach Hotel

Maya Beach Hotel
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Placencia
Reviewed 22 December 2010

Excellent in so many ways...Coming from a new yorker who eats at the worlds best restaurants, I was so impressed, the hotel's restaurant is exceptional. Not just their few best dishes but basically everything on the menu was outstandingly exquisite, and very well priced. The hotel staff is full of the friendliest people, so friendly it's hard to even consider having a bad day when every one around you is in such an upbeat mood. The atmosphere is fantastic and water sports and jungle adventures are conveniently located a small taxi ride away. Additionally- we are writing this from the hotel bar where we have wireless four steps from the beach.

Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BeanTravelers

Reviewed 7 December 2010

We absolutely loved our stay a the Flip Flop Palace and really can not wait to go back

PROS
Ellen (the owner) is amazing, and is so attentive at making sure all the guests have a great time. She went way above and beyond to coordinate everything from our dive trips to our jungle adventures. She knows everyone there will re-arrange your schedule so you get the best weather for each of your activities. I really recommend booking everything through her and letting her handle it. She is so amazing.
The food was amazing! My mouth is still watering over it. The nut crusted fish...mmmm...
It was a really good deal for the price, we couldn't believe the price.
You could hear the ocean from your bed in the flip flop palace.
There are kayaks and bikes for use. We had fun borrowing a kayak and going around for a bit.
The room at Flip Flop was amazing. It's one floor of a beach house you have to yourselves. It's an open floor plan with a sizable bedroom, living room and kitchen and then a bathroom. I don't think we used the kitchen much because we wound up eating all the wonderful food downstairs. (And I really am not someone to eat at the same place every night on vacation, and certainly, almost never eat at the hotel- but it was the best Belizian food you could find!!)

CONS
Location, it was away from the downtown area and you need to take a cab to go down (or a really long bike ride) but part of that is the charm of the place.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 December 2010

This was our first trip to Placencia and while we experienced some problems getting there, it exceeded our expectations. The food was great and the people were fabulous. It's not the Four Seasons but for where it is, it's surely one to return to.

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed 4 December 2010

I think about returning to this place every day! I loved traveling to Costa Rica, Cozumel, Queenstown, etc but what a fantastic find in Placencia! It seemed to be a little bit of all my favorite places bundled into one. We flew from Texas to Belize City then took the hopper flight to Placencia. Let Ellen do your booking for the hopper flights, bus would be not a relaxing. We spent 5 nights at the Maya Beach Hotel in mid November. Perfect.perfect.perfect weather. Room was air conditioned; however, we didn't turn it on once. The Jaguar room was designed with screened windows and we let the soft ocean breeze take care of things. Loved waking up at sunrise to a tranquil beach, still beautiful water, with a sunrise that make me smile as I type this. Ellen and John are amazing hosts! Seriously, they have this down better than most and make you feel welcome and long for return. Ellen takes care of the bookings and greets every guest with genuine interest. She booked a fantastic snorkel/fishing trip to the Silke Keyes for us and we had a day of perfect Belizian fun traveling to the Cayes with fun fellow travelers we met who were also staying at the Maya Beach Hotel. Caught fish, cooked them on a sweet little island caye in the middle of nowhere/everywhere then snorkeled around this island. Observed a reef teaming life that seemed to me to be a lot more healthier than the reef around Cozumel. Makes me long to return.
John is a master with the menu. He does his research and comes up with some amazing recipes. I wish he'd start a food blog and I'd be one of the first fans! I started my day with a Belizian breakfast and would end it with one of his scrumptious deserts. Try the Sassy Shrimp Pot, every soup he serves, all the appetizers and enjoy it all with a Belikan! Would love to return for cooking lessons, yes...he is that creative of a chef and food was that uniquely wonderful. I read that the Maya Beach bistro was one of the best places to eat in Belize...this is true! Staff was amazing too. Thanks to kind Cedrick, sweet Mary et al we were well taken care of. Without hesitation we will return to Maya Beach and bring our friends! Oh, be sure to bring a treat for mama dog on the beach, Cedrick calls her Pookie and she' s one of the sweetest dogs ever and deserves kindness.
Sidenote...had a fantastic massage with Nina! She' s so good that hubby and I each booked her twice! Nina is located in the art gallery that is two blocks right of the second speed bump.
Loved the Maya Beach area so much that I find myself daydreaming about returning for a long time stay. Yes, I could live here! Counting the days until we return.... This was a perfect way to celebrate 32 years of marriage!
Do bring and USE your Avon Skin so Soft and Deet spray. Got about 100 sand fly bites, not at Maya Beach hotel but elsewhere (forgot to use it one evening on bike ride one still evening)

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2010

Maya Beach Hotel is a great place to stay in Belize. The rate was unbelievable for the room we booked. We were able to get a last minute deal through their website on a two bedroom suite with a balcony overlooking the beach (the Coconut Room!).

Although our room was amazing, I would have to say the highlight our stay here was the food from the inhouse restaurant. The menu had a great variety of dishes to choose from for breakfast, lunch and dinner. If you are just there for the drinks, be sure to ask for Avi - he was also one of the best bartenders we've ever seen. He made the most delicious drinks for us!
John and Ellen and the entire staff definitely made our stay enjoyable! I would highly recommend staying here - 5 stars!!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple