Casa Colonial & Pana Surf
Hotel Utz Jay(Panajachel)
Jardines del Lago(Panajachel)
Posada Monte Rosa(Panajachel)
  • Restaurant
All reviewspaddle boardsnature reservehot waterfree watergreat roomhotel is in a great locationthe main stripguatemala citylake atitlansan pedrothree nightsnext morningtuk tukminute walkplace to staycalle santanderjc
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 December 2017

We had the queen bed with the kitchenette. It is such a cute little room, colorfully decorated and thankfully with mosquito netting. This hotel is in a great location within a block of the open markets and very close to the lake. The manager was extra cool in helping us to navigate the best possible choices for tours across the lake.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 December 2017

After staying in San Pedro for a little while, my friend and I booked three nights at Casa Colonial in Panajachel. One of the things that drew us to this hotel (besides the good pricing, of course), was the fact that it seemed to have an awesome location very close into town (which meant not having to take a tuk tuk everytime you wanted to get a meal). Boy, am I glad we stayed here! The bed was huge and the shower had hot water. There's a little balcony so you can read outside or relax (no view, as this is facing town!). This place was in a great location: you're far enough off the main strip so that you don't get a ridiculous amount of noise, and you are close enough to simply walk over to find a great place for dinner or shopping options. This place is super close to the boat launch, and just a Q20 tuk tuk ride to the Nature Reserve in Panajachel. I think what I loved most about it was JC, Luna, and Bailey - the owner and his dogs! There is nothing like having a fantastic host! JC was kind enough to give us lots of pointers and even tour us around some of the towns, which is quite unheard of. We even spent and evening drinking wine together and laughing! JC runs a paddle boarding business called PanaSurf, and he took me out paddleboarding, which was an amazing experience. I would highly recommend this hotel not just for the amenities but also for the absolutely joy of hanging out with the owner!

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 June 2017

We stayed 4 nights here and did not want to go home. You realize as a traveler you are staying at the perfect location when you do not want to change a thing and you don't want to go home.
As Americans visiting Lake Atitlan for the first time Casa Colonial made us feel like we were staying at the perfect place for North American's and Europeans. We are going back!
The owner JC's personal involvement in the satisfaction of his guests' stay is unparalleled. The uniqueness of this place will make you immediately start planning a return trip.
It's about a 5 minute walk to the docks to catch a boat to visit the other cities of Lake Atitlan and it's a block off a main street with restaurants and shopping. JC has contacts for drivers to take you to and from Guatemala City or other areas of Guatemala. His knowledge brings a comforting factor to traveling to this area.
The rooms are spotless with WIFI, fresh clean linens and hot water. Luna and Bailey, the two house dogs are amazing - you will want to hang out with them.
We did not do the paddle boards but plan on doing them next visit. I've traveled many places and Casa Colonial made me feel I had hit the jackpot in staying at an amazing place while also being able to thoroughly experience the local culture and sights. It's a rare combination to find.

Stayed: June 2017
Reviewed 19 June 2017 via mobile

We just left Pana Surf and had such a wonderful experience there. The rooms are simple and very clean, plus the wifi is super reliable! JC, the owner was so welcoming and went to any lengths to ensure our stay went well. He really emphasized safety and gave us great tips about exploring the lake. His advice was so helpful and totally made our trip awesome. He also went above and beyond to get us to the airport and help us send things home. We didn't get a chance to paddle board but he had a great selection and access to a sup yoga instructor!

Stayed: June 2017
Reviewed 23 May 2017

I love the people here, very friendly and hospitable. The man who works the front desk is very kind and helpful. I greatly appreciate his hospitality and knowledge of the area. I am planning on staying here again. I felt so relaxed in the cozy room with the unique artwork, filled me days with joy, knowing that I had a comfortable room to come back to after a day of shopping and sightseeing.

Room Tip: The rooms on the top floor have a great view. All floors have an awesome patio! I love the kitchenette also!
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple