“Fantastic.”

Ranked #3 of 420 Restaurants in Athens
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Open for lunch Monday - Saturday and dinner daily; our bar also remains open for coffee and tapas during the day 2:30 - 5pm. The idea behind The National is simple: to provide a casual neighborhood gathering spot reminiscent of the bars and cafés we’ve enjoyed on travels to Europe. Mediterranean inspired food and wine is served for lunch and dinner in the dining room and throughout the day at the bar. While our menu points to culinary traditions from abroad, we value our local farmers and our dishes reflect the changing seasons in Northeast Georgia.
Reviewed 8 October 2014

I have fallen in love with it. I've eaten here several times now. It is expensive, but it's worth it. I start with the stuffed dates every time because they are so so good, but the hummus and home made flatbread is a close second favorite. I like to go at lunchtime and get the Power Lunch, which is a selection of several items which are always so good and nutritious that I leave feeling great. I've had a couple of dinners there and though the serving size is not huge, it was plenty. I had the roasted plum salad and the steak on my last visit and both were exceptional. The steak was perfectly cooked and it was a beautiful cut of meat. I had the salmon and it was also amazing. The only thing I didn't love was the carrot cake, because it wasn't quite sweet enough for me, but the other desserts I've tried (tarts and some chocolate concoction) were amazing. I recommend this place to anyone going to Athens who is looking for a high quality meal.

1  Thank Jackie H

Reviewed 7 October 2014

I liked this place but its not one I would rave about and count the days to my next visit. Considering its pedigree, I was frankly expecting more. But don't get me wrong, it's quite good! Unassuming inside - guess a former tire retread factory has that effect - its not overly large but comfortable and unpretentious. Our server was good, although I can see room for improvement in service in general. The menu isn't large but it is certainly adequate and reflects the fresh ingredients that you'd expect in a restaurant of this caliber. I would have preferred a better beer selection although the wine list was fairly extensive and fairly priced.

We started with the Crispy Brussel Sprouts and stuffed Medjool dates - both or which were outstanding. I don't know how you get brussel sprouts to taste that good without cooking them with bacon but these rank right up there as top 2 I've ever had. Wow. I could turn vegetarian just on those alone! And the dates? Are you kidding me? Something as pedestrian as dates that taste like that? There's magic somewhere in that kitchen!

My fish special of the day was a fresh King Clap - a firm white fish that was cooked extremely well. Portion size was about what I expected and it definitely was fresh. It was under seasoned to my taste and despite looking beautiful on the plate wasn't as flavorful as I'd hoped. It was lacking something but I can't put my finger on it. I would NOT order it again. My wife's hangar steak was cooked medium rare and was, to my judgment, a little tough. I love hangar steak and when it's done well, it is amazing. This fell slightly short of that. Good, but not great. To their credit, the menu is priced very well and considering the quality of food you get you might even consider it cheap. I'd come back but I'd order a different entree. But count me in for the sprouts and the dates!!

Reviewed 4 October 2014 via mobile

I ate there with american people who took us at The National. Couzy place, very tasty and fresh food cooked and served in a creative way..do not miss it if you go to Athens.

Reviewed 30 September 2014

I have ordered the veggie plate in restaurants all over the country, and the National's is the most delicious and well conceived of all. The interesting variety of grain and vegetables beautifully presented and well prepared will leave one totally appreciative and satisfied.

Erin W, Public Relations Manager at The National, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2014

We pride ourselves in having the best--both most interesting and seasonal--vegetarian options in Athens. Come back frequently and taste the seasons as they change.

Reviewed 29 September 2014

I highly recommend The National. WE enjoy dinner and a movie next door at the Cine very much! Nothing more to say than that!