“Kind staff”

Quality Inn Fort Gordon
Ranked #39 of 86 Hotels in Augusta
Reviewed 18 September 2017 via mobile

We were evacuees from Florida. Each staff member that we met was kind. The lady at the desk for check in displayed true grace under pressure. She had multiple people checking in and a phone that would not stop ringing. She did it all with a smile. Housekeeping knocked after we got to the room. They were just checking to see if we needed anything. The lady at breakfast was also super sweet. She kept breakfast stocked with a smile and kind word. The motel is an older style motel, but it was clean and comfortable. The room had a microwave and fridge which allowed us to save on meals.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Jane G, Manager at Quality Inn Fort Gordon, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2017

Thank you for your review. We are very ecstatic that your stay was wonderful considering the circumstance. I will be sure to let the staff know about their performance and about going above and beyond! We hope that you visit Augusta again and this time under different circumstances! Have a wonderful weekend!

Reviewed 29 December 2016

This was an inexpensive option with good amenities. Staff was friendly & professional. Floor in room was laminate rather than carpet which was unusual. Floor needed to be mopped, but it wasn't very dirty. Room was quiet - we had people on either side of us, but we never heard them.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
Jane G, Front Office Manager at Quality Inn Fort Gordon, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2016

Thank you for your review! We currently have updated the rooms and the laminate floors are one of the upgrades. :) We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you soon.
Happy holidays!

Reviewed 28 December 2016

First the Good -
1. Front desk clerk was excellent. When I first tried the bedside lamps and the TV and could get no power from either I called and asked for help. Silly me as I could have solved the bedside lamp problem as they'd both been unplugged by a previous guest). The TV remote was not working though and batteries did not fix it. The clerk got a replacement finally that did the job.
2. Bed slept well and I had a good rest.
3. The room had a neat kitchenette area with a bar and seating. This was very unusual and I used the bar as my desk since power was nearby.
4. Breakfast was decent (good selection of hot items) and I liked that they didn't put everything away immediately after breakfast time ended.
The Not so Good:
1. I noted water dripping from the refrigerator onto the tiled floor in the "kitchenette" area. I reported this to the front desk clerk and was provided towels to blot up the liquid.
2. The towel holder was pulled from the wall and tilting precariously. I think a prior guest(s) used the towel bar as a grab bar when leaving the shower. Why the cleaning crew just placed towels on the obviously tilting holder was confusing to me.
3. When I went began preparing for bed I noticed a strong smell of smoke in the bathroom. It was immediately evident to me that the guest in the room directly above mine was having a cigarette (I wish they'd smoked earlier as I'd have immediately asked for another room. Since it was 2300 when I noticed the problem I wasn't about to switch rooms so late at night (I was a single, senior, female traveler). I'd opted for first floor because this hotel has no elevator but wished I'd have just gone ahead and dragged my bags up the stairs!
4. I tried to run the bathroom vent fan to clear the smoke but it was very loud so I just closed the door to the room and hoped for the best. I did not notice the smoke while sleeping.
At check out I mentioned the issues to the GM. She graciously added 5,000 points to my Choice Hotels account. She also indicated the maintenance issues would be addressed.
I also suggested that hotel management consider designating the rooms below smoking rooms as smoking rooms in the future to avoid the problem I encountered with smoke invading my non-smoking room. Until the hotel finds a solution to this problem I encourage all guests who have issues with smoke to be certain their room is not directly below a room that allows smoking.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 December 2016 via mobile

This property is gross and reflects badly on the Quality Inn and Choice Hotels brands, and my husband and I regret choosing it. Among several issues -- stained furniture, sticky surfaces, poor lighting (including a desk fixture, pictured, missing a plug) -- the most troubling problem was the air quality in our non-smoking room, which constantly reeked of tobacco smoke from at least one of the smoking rooms on either side of ours.

When I brought this up with the general manager, Jane, early in our four-night stay, she was curt but offered to relocate us, but only if we moved at that moment "so the room could be cleaned and resold." We couldn't do that, as we had to meet family members we were here to visit. The property did not seem that heavily sold, though, that she couldn't have given us the option to move later in the day. But she didn't, and she should have been friendlier, and fundamentally the property should have a better configuration of non-smoking rooms. Sticking one like ours between smoking rooms makes no sense, and the bathroom ventilation system seems to be a conduit for smoke from adjacent rooms.

Then on our final night there, we returned to the room to find it reeking of marijuana smoke from an adjacent room. I spoke to the manager on duty, who responded in an exceptionally unprofessional manner -- essentially insisting that we move rooms (very late on our last night) and refusing to call law enforcement or contact the offending guests herself until I told her that I would call police if she didn't take action.

I was stunned by her approach to this issue. Putting the onus on the inconvenienced guests in a situation like that, where illegal drug use on site is affecting others, is not acceptable and reflects poorly on Choice management, standards and safety.

Ultimately, the air quality issues made sleeping difficult, and what should have been simple, restful, economical accommodations ended up being awful. And to top it all off, GM Jane thought it was appropriate to talk about me disparagingly to another employee at the front desk while I was eating breakfast a few feet away from them in the lobby.

Upon check out, I asked Jane why she didn't just let us move later in the day I first brought smoke concerns to her attention, and she cited corporate policy, ignoring the fact that the hotel was not sold out.

I'm awaiting a response to an email to Choice guest relations, and I feel at this point that I will avoid Choice properties in the future.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank Jonathan P
Amanda J, Front Office Manager at Quality Inn Fort Gordon, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2016

On the behalf of our staff, I'm sorry we didn't meant your expectations. We tried our best to accommodate you on separate occasions, in which you declined each time. We take pride in customer satisfaction as that is our number one goal in our business. We apology that despite our repeated efforts to address your concerns we fell short of your expectations.

Reviewed 7 October 2016

The room was clean and smelled nice, not a cloying scent that some places use to cover up moldy smells or ciggie smoke..but a clean smell, beds and pillows were awesome,, plump pillows that did not loose shape. Wifi and TV worked fine :-)

Stayed: October 2016
Jane G, Manager at Quality Inn Fort Gordon, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2016

Thank you CloggieUsa2001 for your kind review. We are delighted to hear your stay was wonderful. We take pride in what we do and were glad you were pleased. We hope to see you again and thanks for choosing Quality Inn Near Fort Gordon!!!