“Average, great onion rings”

Claxon's Smokehouse & Grill
Ranked #11 of 51 Restaurants in Altoona
Reviewed 3 February 2018 via mobile

We were here a couple months ago and they were ok, but our meals took longer than several people who came after us and we had a very active, undisciplined 5 year old(not my child). When we finally got our meals, the food was warm to hot and tasted ok. Those onion rings were really good though! Clean. Family friendly. Staff was ok. Prices are ok. Plenty of parking. It's worth trying. It is a different kind of BBQ for sure. Marcydiner tantrum scale of 3/5-inly because of my friend's yelling kid.

Reviewed 1 February 2018

I ordered 2 pounds of wings last night. I called in ahead and ordered so I could pick up in the drive through. It only took about 10 minutes. I’ve never had the wings from here but love smoked food and have eaten here many times over the years. They had other sauces but I wanted something a little spicy and they don’t have a standard “buffalo” sauce so chose their house Creeper. These are not your typical buffalo wings. The wings were all good sized. I think they would be delicious without sauce as the smoky flavor really came through which I enjoy. The sauce had a little sweetness and a little spice. They were fantastic. I ate a whole pound myself. My son had several and he also thought they were fantastic. If you are looking for the same old buffalo wings that everyone has, this is not them. If you are looking for some flavorful wings that don’t burn too much this is your spot to try.

Reviewed 10 December 2017

Food was good, place was in a small area if they were busy not much room for parking. Staff was friendly.

Reviewed 29 November 2017

The staff is friendly and courteous. Spacious interior with options and big tv screens. The okra cornbread is a must try but their sandwiches are just ok. I would definitely go again but the initial impression on some of the food wasn't entirely memorable. The beverage selection was pretty good though!

Reviewed 26 October 2017

One of the first barbecue restaurants in Altoona. Love their building. Love the atmosphere. Love the uniqueness of their menu. They truly do have the best smoked prime rib in town. Paired with a side of their Boursin mashed potatoes and it's a meal worth the trip.

Been to Claxon's Smokehouse & Grill? Share your experiences!