“Unimpressed”
Review of Riad Lalla Fatima

Riad Lalla Fatima
Ranked #53 of 222 Fes B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 December 2017

I am quite surprised by the rave reviews for this property as my experience was very different indeed. There's not much to be impressed by here, but the rates probably reflect this.

I booked through Expedia and the booking was quite clear: Private bathroom, toileteries, etc., all the normal hotel amenities. When I checked in, I was shown to a room which had no bathroom. There is a "private" bathroom, but it's across a public hallway. Not exactly private in the truest sense. Plus they do not provide any bathroom amenities such as shampoo or soap in the shower. When I questioned this, I was just told "this is the room you booked". I just booked a room. Nothing specific. Expedia then sent me an automated email making sure check in was OK and I answered honestly. As I was sitting in my room, I got a truly vicious email from the property manager, furious about my comments about the separate bathroom and lack of amenities. From that point on, I knew there was no way I could stay the full five nights as I was the ONLY guest. They could have given me ANY room as there were no other bookings, something they admitted when I checked in.

The room itself is long, but narrow. There's no seating and no furniture. Just a very old mirror dresser and coat hangers on hooks on the walls. One of the reading lights was broken. They put a heater in the room that helped as it was very cold. The linens are very old, but clean enough. In the bathroom, the towels are clean enough, but old. There are no amenities in the room at all other than the heater. No TV (not that I care about that) no safe, no drinking water. You just have to leave your valuables and hope for the best.

I didn't stay for breakfast, so I've no idea what's on offer. The location is not ideal. The property is on the very edge of the vast medina and down some deserted, narrow alleys. I felt very insecure. The alley that leads to the hotel door is a loitering spot for teenagers who kept offering me drugs every time I came in or out. There are no cafes, restaurants or any real shops anywhere near the property. This angered the manager too as she insists she will provide transport to anywhere. All racking up the costs.

This was not a good experience. Perhaps other rooms or non single travellers will have a better experience. Whatever you do, don't respond to Expedia or a booking site until after you've checked out. The manager's temper is best avoided.

Room Tip: Some rooms have separate bathrooms involving crossing public areas and there are no bathroom ameniti...
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Jarko2015

Reviewed 9 April 2017 via mobile

This small hotel, Riad style, is conveniently located close to the edge of the city but within walking distance from the Medina and other highlights.
The hotel has just a few rooms, most centered around the courtyard where you can relax. There is also a nice interior garden, where breakfast and dinner are being served.
All in all a really nice place to stay and highly recommended.

THE ROOMS
Our room was spacious with two comfy beds. It was nicely de decorated with huge carpets and had some stained glass windows that let in the natural light from the courtyard.
The bathroom was ok with a half bath/shower. The water pressure and temperature however varied a lot.
The whole place was very clean except from some dust under the beds.

THE SERVICE
All the staff were very friendly and helpful and made us feel comfortable. Most of the staff speaks French en those that do speak English speak it very well.

THE FOOD
The breakfast is just excellent with more then enough freshly prepared Moroccan food (that can change from day to day) and delicious fresh orange juice served at your table.
It is possible to order dinner, which also tastes good. It is however very expensive.

PROS
- Beautiful and peaceful place
- Conveniently located with possibility to park out in the streets
- Friendly staff
- Excellent breakfast
- Perfect WiFi
- Convenient with kids

CONS
- Water temperature and pressure in the bathroom changes from day to day.
- Dinner is expensive

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 February 2017

I just want to say that I really enjoyed my time here at the Riad Lalla Fatima! I was able to stay 2 nights and enjoyed everything about this place. The family is so friendly and made you feel right at home. The best part of the stay is taking a cooking class. I enjoyed the evening making Tagine and Charmoola and other great side dishes. (sorry if spelled incorrectly) I enjoyed the evening getting to know the family. I took plenty of notes so I can follow these recipes at home..they were patient with me. I will certainly be back to stay here when I am in Fes again and highly recommend this Riad! Thank you so much!!

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 September 2016 via mobile

We had a lovely 2 night stay at this Riad, the home of Lalla Fatima and her family. The family makes you feel so at home, like very very welcome guests-it's a pleasure to stay.
As with all Riads the entrance is a nondescript door in an alley but the home inside is lovely. Good rooms, open courtyard and a great welcome.
The room was very comfortable & the bathroom beautifully tiled.
We ate in the Riad both evenings and the fresh home cooked meals were superb.
If you have time ask for a cooking class from Lalla Fatima, you won't be disappointed!
We would stay again.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 May 2016

VERY welcoming hosts.I felt like a queen.Extraordinary!!!!Very attentive , I felt really good. I stayed 10 days.An oasis of peace.A piece of heaven,They are careful and want to feel good in their home,Note 10 Mrs. Fatima.if you want an unforgettable experience is the perfect place . The large bathroom spacious rooms , common space spectacular . What is most important is how you behave hosts . Next time you get into Fes still there I'll go ! Thank you for this beautiful memory. Signed Seherezada ...... ......

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple