Dar Al Batoul
US$215
US$199
US$98
Agoda.com
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I was prepared for the worst and now I am a little bit puzzled why this place had received so many bad reviews in the past. Maybe it has changed hands in the meantime and some of the problems mentioned have been fixed. I stayed there for 2 nights with my son at the beginning of our Morocco trip this June. The place was clean and due to the fact that we were the only guests the first evening, we could choose a room that appeared fit for a sultan. The attendant who welcomed us spoke French and was very helpful. The riad is located just inside the Medina, close to the Kasbah Oudaia. We never felt unsafe in the area.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Hobbychef_10
Reviewed 19 November 2009

No TV, no safe, no key to lock your room.
No hot water before ten minutes with the tap open (good for ecology and draught!).
Bad breakfast. Scary owner indeed. Unpleasant to find out at the last minute that the price published in the Internet does not include taxes and breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AlicanteTony
Reviewed 13 November 2009

It is true, you cannot lock the rooms, but this is not really necessary because the riad is wel kept and closed from the outside. This is the case with all the riads in Morocco as we experienced.... The rooms are very tiny but beautiful decorated and worth while staying in it. It is difficult to find a tourist restaurant in the neighbourhood. We went to a pizza restaurant with our guid, this was very good but pretty far away. Rabat medina is not a good place to walk on your one at nigt, always take your tourguide or a taxi outside the medina.
The hotel was quiet, but you will wake up early with Allah! You receive a good breakfast in the centercourt of the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Traveldreamers11
Reviewed 4 March 2009

The arrival was pleasant. The receptionist initially sweet. When we came back in the evening and wanted to take a shower, the bathroom flooded. We then noticed the bathroom was slimy, moldy and dirty. You had to stand on a dirty moldy wooden plank among murky waters since the water did not drain well. We complained to the receptionist and she gave us keys to another room. The bathroom there was the same-a little cleaner but moldy and flooded when we took a shower. In the first room skylight is too bright and its right over the bed. In the second room, at 8 o'clock in the morning someone was doing construction work right under the window on the wall right at our heads. Breakfast was nice. Beautiful hotel.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2008

I really cannot believe that there are people who could find anything negative to say about this place. My husband and I just finished a five-week holiday in Morocco, Italy and Spain. Dar El Batoul in Rabat was by far my favorite place. We stayed only four nights and I find myself still wishing to go back "home" to Dar el Batoul.

The staff met us with traditional mint tea, and in our rooms were dried fruit and nuts to welcome us. The place feels like a magical wonderland-- NOT your typical touristy hotel. In fact, you could stay inside the four walls of Dar El Batoul for your entire visit, and still feel as if you had experienced Morocco; and better yet, it is Morocco from that past... Truly unique.

The rooms may not be of 5 star quality if you are only looking for modern ammenidies like fluffy bathrobes and whirl pool bathtubs. But I found I was able to relax here more than any other hotel I have EVER stayed at, what with the birds chirping in the morning, the delicious breakfasts, and very sweet staff who helped us in any way they could with a spirit of TRUE hospitality, not just working because they get paid.

For those of you concerned about room security, there are now locks on the doors, but there is honestly no need for them because the place is so safe. We didn't lock our door at all, and we had a laptop and other valuables with us.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)