“Lovly hotel”

Atlas les Almohades Tanger
Ranked #34 of 44 Hotels in Tangier
Reviewed 17 April 2017 via mobile

I came with my friend to this hotel..
Its very great hotel.
Very nice.
Near to Sea.very close.
Location is very good.
Staff is good.
Rooms are cleane..and bathroom.
Evry thing near you.
Resturant..shoooing...
I like this hotel.
I will come again.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business

Reviewed 14 April 2017 via mobile

We decided on four green dots after a couple of minutes of to-ing and fro-ing about it. Let me explain why and in doing so hopefully give some information...

Our journey - via Tangier Med on a ferry, then a taxi which took about 50 mins through the back of beyond - was fine, we met lovely Australian tourists and shared the cost - 400MAD in total.

First impressions - wow! The streets were so busy and the taxi whizzed past donkeys and camels on the way along the beachfront road where Les Almohades is situated. The location is perfect, especially if you booked a sea front room. These rooms are larger and have a balcony. We were in Room 117, a deluxe with a sea view. The front entrance to the hotel is closed. There is a rear entrance, staffed by a friendly security man and also a metal detector for security. In the entrance hall there is a fee free ATM to withdraw cash. We found withdrawing what you needed every morning totally fine during our stay.

The check-in process was quick - no need to pay on arrival or for the original reservation card. Remember to tip the bus-boy with 10MAD. Have coins or small notes ready before you arrive as it was quite awkward when he helped us up to the room and had zero money to give him!

The room was large, twin beds, double bathroom sinks and a bidet. One drawback - shower over the bath - which wouldn't annoy me normally but there was no shower curtain so I was always thinking about the mess when trying to shower!

The TV worked fine. The remote worked fine too. You can also take off the dubbed Spanish from some channels and listen in English if that's what you prefer, you just have to be prepared to fiddle with it. The hotel has free wifi. As it was free, the fact it very occasionally cut off wasn't exactly a huge problem.

The private balcony/terrace was clean and a great vantage point for the whole beach area. On a clear day you can see right over to Spain. At night you can marvel at the driving skills of the locals and watch them play dodgems with the people on the zebra crossing. With the window and curtains closed we were not kept awake at all.

The Hotel is a 15 minute walk to the Medina to the left and 10 minutes along the beach to the right to more tourist friendly restaurants near the McDonalds. Please beware of people who you may meet on the streets out the front and back of the hotel. They are just looking for money. A polite 'no thanks' is normally fine. They might seem really genuine but they really aren't.
(That's a lesson learnt, but we only lost 20MAD)

Swimming Pool! We spent the whole afternoon down there. It had sun loungers and comfy cushions. It's part of the complex so totally free of people coming to annoy you.

Our little six legged visitor added to the hilarity which in turn resulted our 4 star review. Cockroaches are really common in hot countries.... and anyway it was half dead when I kicked it out of the room and down the hallway!

Round the back street from the Hotel is a beautiful bakery called Arte Pan. We had the most amazing cheesy baguettes every morning for breakfast. Sit upstairs! Very cheap.

All in all, for first time travellers out of Europe I would imagine Tangier would be a bit of a culture shock. It was for me. It was also a great experience and one that I would be keen to repeat again - I might treat myself to the Hilton next time!

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christopher R
Reviewed 26 March 2017

I originally booked to stay in a guesthouse in the Medina but hated it! So I booked to stay here for my last 2 nights and I loved it! I wish I had booked this hotel for my full stay.

I had a side sea view room on floor 5 and had wonderful views across the bay from the lovely balcony, beautiful spot to catch the sunrise. The room was spacious with very comfortable beds - I slept really well, and a large bathroom,

The buffet breakfast was excellent! This was included in my room price. Very good choice of food, also juice, mint tea and coffee machine. The restaurant is on the 7th floor with great views across the seafront. The breakfast is served early between around 6 and 10.30, and when I went up there at 8am both mornings there was hardly anyone there, very easy to get a table.

There were just a few small things that upset my stay slightly - glass was missing from the bedside table tops, no remote for the TV, and as my room was a connecting room it had a door in between (obviously locked) but it meant the noise from the people staying next door was quite loud.

Overall I loved this hotel, the price was very reasonable and I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking to stay in Tangier. It is located right on the beach and everything you need is within easy walking distance.

Room Tip: Nice views of the sea from floor 5 at the front or the side.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Davinajs
Reviewed 14 March 2017

The room of this hotel was noisy we could hezr the music of the dinning spectacle till late in the night (2:00 AM).
More than that the rrom i asked for was non smoking one, but i have all the smoke coming from the room beside mine and could do nothing about it.
i do not recommend the hotel for families.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Kharrou H
Reviewed 2 January 2017

room and bathroom are clean and neat
large room and warm in the winter
location is surrounded by recusants and places to walk and stroll or run
hotel is a bit outdated but still great value for the money

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled solo