See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 8 September 2016

Its cheap and within walking distance of the ferry and plenty of good/cheap restaurants.

You might feel a bit uneasy about walking round the area late at night on your own, but once inside it feels OK.

There are plenty of backpackers around and there's a sitting area with wifi and TV. Staff are helpful and friendly.

Rooms are pretty basic and one of us had hot water, the other didnt.

I would stay again for a night or two if passing through. There isnt much reason to be in Dar for any longer than that anyway!

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
safariinntanzania, webmaster at Safari Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2016

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for comments. We take pride in this hotel and its amenities and sincerely appreciate the opportunity to serve you. If you will come this way again, I hope you’ll consider staying with us again.

Reviewed 26 August 2016 via mobile

We first got a fowl smelling twin room instead of the booked double room. After changing the room, thinks took a better turn. Only, the bednet was to small for a double bed, leaving us exposed at night. Luckily not many mosquitoes during the dry season. The breakfast is ok, if you pay a small (1000tsh) extra for eggs.
Although I couldn't compare to similar places in Dar, I think, you get what you expect for this price range.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
safari2, Manager at Safari Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2017

Thank you Lukas for the review.

Given that cleanliness and ambiance is something we put emphasis on, the foul odor in the room was a surprise.
As for the bednet, that also is a surprise as it is an important component for us and we make sure guests are fully protected. Perhaps the unfamiliarity of setting the bednet might have contributed, but we will be pleased to assist next time you visit.

Our breakfast is mini continental and we charge a nominal fee for extras, but it is less expensive than other restaurants. We understand the budget constraints of travelling and have priced our services accordingly.

Hope this helps.

Reviewed 22 August 2016 via mobile

I stayed at the Safari Inn for one night.

When I checked in the staff we helpful.

The room was terrible - it was on the third floor with no lift. There was no mosquito net and there was a very loud night club or bar nearby which played music all night and made sleep near impossible.

I arrived from the bus station late and was hungry, but there is no restaurant in the evening which is worth noting if you are also arriving late. The hotel is in a very dodgy part of town,so I wasn't really up for a walk in the dark.

On the plus side there was hot water.

When I was leaving, around sun rise time the staff refused to help me get a taxi! Instead the men behind reception gave some vague instructions and told me to go and walk in the dark with my bags to the taxi rank which was ten mins away. I asked a second time if they could hail one for me - they said to walk.

I left the hostel and immediately a security guard in the street hailed a cab when I asked him to - which is much more typical of Tanzanian hospitality.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

Thanks for staying.We saw your review and apologize for your experience howsoever it might have happened.We shall investigate and take corrective actions based on your observations and shall ensure that staff are behaving in a very hospitable manner.
We have engaged a professional team to check the housekeeping, cleanliness and all the amenities and to ensure the rooms are in the finest condition before a new guest is checked in.It is our earnest request to make note of the actions and reconsider your decision.

Reviewed 24 July 2016

I stayed at the Safari Inn several years ago. We stayed here during our recent trip because I remembered it being accessible and affordable. The rooms were exactly as I remember them. They were basic, self-contained, with hot water, good water pressure, and ceiling fans. There was AC available for extra cost in some of the rooms. We would not recommend the AC, as it can not be easily adjusted and makes the room very cold. The one update that was noticed since my last stay was complimentary Wifi in the lobby. The staff was helpful and accommodating.

We would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling on a budget and looking for a no frills place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lifesaver82-11-04
safariinntanzania, Webmaster at Safari Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2016

Dear Guest,

Thanks for taking a moment to comment about our hotel. I'm so pleased that your experience was nice enough here that you would recommend us to others. I hope you have a chance to do that. If you have family members, friends or colleagues traveling in this area, make sure they know about our hotel. We'll do a great job meeting their needs too.

Reviewed 16 July 2016

We were a group of 20 teens and 3 adults on a school trip so we basically took over the whole hotel, the reception had it well under control and got everyone to their rooms as quick as possible, the staff were helpful carrying our bags in for us. They gave us a special "meeting" room where we could spend time, the breakfast was basic, an amazing restaurant was close by that sold indian food it also delivered. The rooms were small but good size, the top room which holds 4 people had no working AC and the other rooms had AC but you had to pay however they did have a fan. Working shower, sink and toilet. Beds had mosquito nets.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind words and for booking your large group to stay with us. I’m so pleased that you found us a clean and pleasant place to stay and that our amenities were to your liking. We take real pride in this hotel and in serving guests like you, and I’m extremely happy that you had such a pleasant stay. We look forward to having you with us again soon.