“Great Day Trip”
Review of Mbudya island

Mbudya island
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 March 2017 via mobile

I spent the day here. They have staff that can bring a bed for you to lay on, and a small restaurant. The staff also brought drinks to where I was set up. The island itself is pretty cool, and it's far enough offshore that the water is pretty clean as well.

Reviewed 14 March 2017 via mobile

It was one of those days,our trip to Zanzibar did not go as planned the day before due to protests said to take place in that week(that never happened/Tanzanians=peaceful bunch).We desperately needed a break from the city considering that in 2 days we would start our journey back to United Concrete Jungle.

I convinced the hubby that even though it was cloudy...the island would still be great. I had never been but I had an idea based on my previous trip to a nearby island,Bongoyo. We walked down to Whitesands hotel waterworld entrance to find the place almost abandoned.Then a guy greeted us and said it wil be about 40000 since we are the only ones there...We were desperate enough to say yes.

To our luck,a flight crew from Air Dubai walked in minutes later with same plans. Little did we know--A solar eclipse was unfolding right above our heads behind the clouds.Our guide pointed up and we witnessed this marvel without going blind.

(FYI:There is no pier where u can walk into a boat dry...the fun part is walking up to a boat miles away in ankle to knee deep water. Wear water shoes or go barefoot and have a blast...).Enjoy sunken boats on the way and spot some crabs /starfish roomates.

We got to the Island. Guy came up and took our lunch and drink orders...two options delicious (whole) fish and chips(fries) and Lobster and Fish...for 10000 each. We paid our park fee to an elderly man who gave us our tiny but lovely hammock and seats/mat.

Exploring the island...It is not crowded..so private but not desserted.

1.The hike deep "jungle" trail..There is an extensive trail into the Island...with beautiful plants of all kinds..including giant baobab trees,vines,and smack down the middle of the trail was a toilet with no walls.The hubby used it(confirming that we are of different specie-him stuck at homo erectus).Our search for the giant coconut crab things ended as I knew it got too sunny for those lovely crustaceans.

2.The hike Around .Another trail led us to a blowhole that was splashing water...The shells are beautiful.

3.The strange pine looking trees ...these were helpful to keep the shade.

4.The water.Beautiful turquoise(ahem! clear) water.One side of island got sea weed for days...one side on the island got a great beach...and great to swim as water more calm...The sand good for an inexpensive pedicure.

5.The food.I love the idea of cheap lobster/fish.

Everything was great until sunset...when it was obvious we have to leave and go home.Our boat ride back was very bumpy...It was quite an adventure that drove all of us to our life jackets.Soaked.

Reviewed 10 March 2017

Actually an underwhelming experience. The sales over sells the experience. The minute you arrive on shore (via ferry from White Sands Hotel) you are asked whether you'd like to 'rent' shade...etc. Would not rush back!

1  Thank Rick T
Reviewed 9 March 2017

This is an excellent place in Dar Es Salaam. If you are planning to visit Dar es salaam you must go to this Island.

Reviewed 6 March 2017 via mobile

Hi,
As an expat i live in Dar and very often i visit this island..
In every visit I'm being impressed again and again