Olduvai Camp
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Serengeti National Park
See available hotels
andBeyond Ngorongoro Crater Lodge(Ngorongoro Conservation Area)
Excellent 5/5
  • Restaurant
Ngorongoro Wildlife Lodge(Ngorongoro Conservation Area)
Good 3.5/5
Highview Hotel(Karatu)
  • Pool
  • Pool
Excellent 5/5
Lake Manyara Wildlife Lodge(Lake Manyara National Park)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewssunset walklocal maasaingorongoro craterafrica travelone nightmaasai guidewatch the sunsetshifting sandsguided walkfrench companyrocky outcropcharge devicesan overnight stayafrican landscapegreat opportunitybumpy roadunique experience
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 April 2015 via mobile

When first told that I would be sleeping in a tent in the Serengeti I thought to myself "that's not going to happen" - as I am not really one to like to share my room with "critters".

So imagine my surprise when pulling into this spectacular place and now saying that I want to come back over and over and - yes - sleep in those tents !!

Located in some sort of massive rock formation standing in the middle of the African plains, the "camp" has a wonderful bar, restaurant, common areas including an outstanding perch at the top of the rock where you can enjoy a view second to none of the surroundings and sunset and sunrise (if like me you are up that early).

There are more luxurious camps in the region, but none that I have stayed to have such a location and opportunity to do a walking safari along a gorge where all types of animals frequent, and a staff so proud that they literally give you the clothes if this backs.

Great great stay.

Stayed: April 2015
Reviewed 3 April 2015

Olduvai Camp was amazing – we had such a great experience there! We loved the sunset walk with our Masai guide and they even set up a special honeymoon dinner for us! We also got a lovely bottle of wine in our room - so welcoming, thoughtful, and wonderful!

We made lots of new friends with the people we dined with every morning and evening, and the entire atmosphere was very convivial and fun. The bar is open-air - so much fun to sit and relax in the evenings with a big glass of Tusker exchanging stories with other travelers.

We took a walk to the Masai village - it took about 3.5 hours. It was interesting, but felt a little like we were intruding on people's lives. Still, they were very welcoming and it was really interesting to see how they lived.

Our tent was so great - in the morning, we could see giraffes crossing the plain in front of our tent from bed! We couldn't have asked for a better place to spend a few days. We'd like to thank the staff of Olduvai for giving us such a special experience!

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sara H
Reviewed 3 March 2015

I don't know how else to put it. It was almost surreal, having these tented lodges in the middle of the safari. We used Olduvai Camp when we booked our Expedology Safaris trip to the Ngorongoro Crater. The combination of the this camp (resort?) and safari was eye-opening. It was my first and one of my fondest memories. I'm hooked and hope to go back soon!

Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wesley C
Reviewed 1 March 2015

Only reason I did not give 5 stars is that the beds and the food were not quite up to the level of the other camps at which we stayed. On the other hand, the prices at Olduvai Camp were quite a bit less. The setting and the interaction with the local Maasai guides is magical, mystical, inspirational, spiritual. Hope to come back. Won't ever forget our two days here. Ask for Kitende as your Maasai guide. We bonded so strongly with him - he became a friend and mentor.

Dave

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 February 2015

We spent two nights at Olduvai Camp and it was magical. The facilities built into the rock outcropping a were unique. The staff were warm, welcoming, very helpful, and friendly. I loved having breakfast on the Terrance...a few steps above the camp, situated in some rocks with an endless view. Food was also very good. The fact that young Masai boys were herding goats in front of our tent was a plus.

Stayed: February 2015, travelled with friends