US$26
US$75
Oasis Hotel Apartment(Addis Ababa)(Great Value!)
US$36
US$34
AREQU Guest House(Addis Ababa)(Great Value!)
US$45
Abam Guest House(Addis Ababa)
Priceline
Abeba Pension(Addis Ababa)
Abel Pension(Addis Ababa)
Abem Pension(Addis Ababa)
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 28 February 2013

I stayed here for one night after hearing it was a good option in the area. I did not enjoy my stay here. First, upon arriving, the lobby smelled of smoke. It was not a welcoming lobby and the staff was rather unfriendly. Luckily the room they showed me did not smell, so I took it. It was late and I was exhausted. Bed was okay and bathroom worked...at first. Then the water stopped working in the morning. Note, they are building a metro line on Bole Road, so this location has consistent water disruptions (as of February 2013), and the hotel is government owned so nobody cares much.

I had a barely palatable breakfast here with very slow service and was quite eager to leave and find something else. I left my luggage at the front, which didn't feel very secure, as they place it behind a screen instead of in a locked room like everywhere else I had stayed. I said I would come back and perhaps stay if the water was working. Sure enough, still no water upon my return so I moved to the Ras Hotel, which was cheaper and way better.

Price was 819 birr, so about $45. Not bad, but you could do better.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank JenniferJacobs
Reviewed 11 June 2012

This hotel is old and not very clean. The rooms are very large. The doors can be locked but this makes no sense because they are like being out of paper. Also the windows cannot be closed. The bathroom is very old and not comfortable. However, the hotel is central. It has a small bar in the cellar which is ok for a drink.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2010

Very central, just off Maskal Square. Nice size rooms. Tendency to make up the price to suit your face. When I booked people in for tour companies I would always be given (as a Brit) higher price quote than if an Ethiopian colleague went in.
BIG PROBLEM also is the NOISE from St Stephanos church opposite front of hotel. Yes there is a gym at back with loud music but it keeps normal hours. As with most Addis churches the loudspeaker can start playing church music, chanting, preaching at 0500 hours...not just on Sundays. My tourists had 2 opposite reactions -
1. Please move me to another hotel
2. We love it - real Ethiopian church music...

Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank Addisadvisor
Reviewed 18 March 2010

I have been stayed at this hotel for 7 times between 2002 - 2009. I usually stayed for 3 - 5 weeks. I am originally from Ethiopia, but living outside of the country for the last 26 years. This hotel is the most convinient, affordable, and very secure for my needs. The hotel was built by a wealthy gentleman, politician from Eritrea in the late Haile Sellassie's era (killed by The Dergue Government among the famous 63 massacre in November 1975). Dejazmatch Haregot Seyoum built this hotel and reserved the entire 7th floor for his living quartres. His personal suite was now Room No 702 and his son Dr Solomon's was 701. These rooms are way better than other single rooms, but for my surprise priced same amount. If you are lucky and available, you may mention about these rooms. They are located on the last floor and you can enjoy really great view of the green scenery around (The famous Ghion Hotel garden, The HIM Haile Sellassie's Palace, The new Africa Avenue Park built by the generous billionnaire Sheik Al Amoudi), Africa Hall, Abiot Adebabay or Meskel Square. The interior of this hotel is spacious, high ceilling, and wide glass windows. Hot water is 24/7. Room and linen cleanliness is more than I expected and I think Housekeeping Ladies deserve tips for their hard work, very friendliness, and assistance. Sorry English is unthinkable even around Reservation corner, eventhough friendly people short of a smile. My best meal there is Mixed Garden Salad (very fresh, organic content and really cheap). Compared with most Addis Ababa hotels, The National is relatively secure and extremely quite place. But, it's government owned now and if there is a need, the special commandos jump to top floor and station themselves to do their security job. This is when some VIPs pass by in front of the hotel on the way to the airport or wherever. since I was on the seventh floor, I met these commandos twice. They usually don't talk to us. The hotel never advised or put notice about the scary stuff to its guests. Who do you think cares about this? Probably it's a day to day experience on the streets of Addis Ababa. If you are lucky to get one of those 2 special rooms I may say on the 7th floor, you will enjoy the very big space roof top balcony. It's breath taking to be there in the evening or so, but make sure the securities at The Palace across won't watch you taking a picture or using a binocularas. This stuff is a big deal in the entire country. There is St Stephen's Church just accross the street and their Gospel Teachigs and The Early Morning Mass is loud speakered and it's very loud to hear it in the hotel's rooms. Well, it's the church's tradition to be heard by everybody.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Yagerlij
Reviewed 14 March 2010

I stayed at the hotel for 5 days during a business trip in Feb 2010. The room was very clean and well kept, the bed was made with clean linen every day and there was hot water to shower with. As far as African hotels go, I'm sure this one is pretty decent. Language is a problem, as most of the hotel staff only speak very basic English. The food at the hotel isn't great, but it wouldn't kill you. They serve awesome orange juice and coffee with breakfast, and I could recommend the corn flakes for breakfast, as the milk in Ethiopia tastes great.

If you book a room, try to get one near the front of the hotel, as there is a gym downstairs at the back of the hotel that plays something similar to 80's techno music at 5 in the morning. Other than that, the hotel was pretty quiet. The rooms are HUGE.

I could recommend the hotel, and I will be staying there again during my visit in May 2010.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business