See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 9 September 2010

a fairly good hotel, especially if compared with the 7 or 8 other hotels I checked before choosing the Crystall Palace. A good trade-off between price and overall quality. rooms are clean enough, internet, although slow is available in the rooms, the restaurant provides cheap food at all times and one can get a discount for stays longer than 3 nights. On top, the staff is definitely helpful. It is strange that some people felt the opposite.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 July 2010

I was most put off this hotel by the lazy, slow reacting staff who smile and seem polite but are unhelpful generally. I phoned for help and it took over an hour for someone to come up to the room- which I wanted to change. I was promised a change but it never came, eventually exhausted I tried to sleep. Room was small and smelled of 'air-freshener' - it didnt, just overpowered smell! When I found internet not working I again phoned for help but got no reply. I went down to reception on 3 occasions too. I eventually worked out that the staff were extremely well versed in smiling politely and giving false assurances. I was unable to sleep and my children were bitten by some insect in the bedding. Horrible experience. The food was also not kept as one would expect health and safety dictates.

Sadly I have been told this is one of Abuja's better hotels!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank DrMI_10
Reviewed 24 February 2010

The Crystal Palace is a home from home in Abuja for VSO volunteers in Nigeria. The staff have always made us extremely welcome and 'really try' to help. In the past few months many of the rooms have been modernised and are looking sleek although don't look too closely at some of the workmanship (a general piece of advice for visitors to this great country).

All rooms have computers and internet access is fairly reliable and cheap/free and power supply is almost constant. Besides which it's on the liveliest street in Abuja - although choose your room carefully to avoid experiencing the vibe of the local beer gardens in your room....

Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank CJBROWN
Reviewed 10 June 2009

Of the 5 hotels I tried this was the cheapest by far at £58 for the best room in the house! It may have been the cheapest but it wasn't the worst. It was in my opinion the best value for money. You would need to be fairly independent and willing to go out of the hotel to find good food, nightlife etc. but if you want to see what Abuja is really like this is the place to stay.

The bed was firm but clean.
The bath was in need of some minor repairs (chipped enamel, panel coming off) but otherwise fine.
Internet was available at an extra cost (I didn't bother) but the PC was supplied all be it with a ripped of copy of Windows running on it.
I stayed on a Friday night and the party / disco / nightclub in the next street was going great, Sadly I just wanted to sleep in my bed so the music didn't really help me but I managed to sleep through it in the end and it was silent by 12:30am.
Do make sure that the UPS for the PC is OFF before going to bed otherwise you might get woken at 12:30am when the mains fails and the UPS starts to beep!

The onsite Cafe and pool hall seems to be a local hangout. The food is all clearly priced and reasonable for both cost and quality. This is a great place to do people watching and there's no hassle.

Breakfast is extra, DON'T HAVE IT. all items on the buffet breakfast are individually priced HOWEVER breakfast is a fixed price so the individual pricing means nothing (so I found out). I had Coffee and Omelette. The Coffee was OK but the omelette was stone cold almost like it came out of a fridge, and generally only just edible. I was hungry and knew this was the last chance I would get to eat for 7 hours otherwise I would certainly have not bothered.

All in all stay here to find out what the real Abuja is like and save a fortune over some of the other Hotels.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
4  Thank FOAD_Bob
Reviewed 11 December 2008

I am frequent visitor of Crystal Palace Hotel since its opening in 2000. Although the overall appearance and furniture are becoming bit outdated and need some refurbrishing, all these "negatives" are balanced by very helpfull and efficient staff.
From the owner of the hotel, retired General of the Army and once a federal minister (who is most of the time around) down to the last cleaner, all the staff is VERY friendly and always trying their best.
Usual food available are buffet types for reasonable prices. Never order anythig a la carte, since the service takes ages.
Drinks available are basic for good prices, so just the set-up and limited space of the bar are disadvantageous.
I must also give credit to very good (for Nigerian measures) wireless internet connection and very professional manager of Business Centre.
Try the hospitality of old general and genleman.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)