“Delightful ambiance in the New Africa with Antillais, African, French & Fusion cuisines + live music + dancing.”
Review of New Africa

New Africa
Ranked #23 of 222 Restaurants in Dakar
Price range: US$12 - US$31
Cuisines: Caribbean, French, Moroccan
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: For lunch or for diner . Just a drink ? Don't forget "Happy hour" 19pm:20pm "Noche Latina" every saturday night Special senegalese dishes can be order by advance
Reviewed 22 March 2017

First of all Trip Advisor has been showing the wrong location for New Africa. It is NOT situated in SICAP. It is to be found very near to the Boulangerie Jaune in the Sacré Coeur 3 district of Dakar. To be more precise - it's in a little side-street just off the "Boulangerie Jaune" roundabout about 200 metres south of Boulangerie Jaune itself.
It's a lovely find - and the photos on this site plus their own website accurately reflect the attractive interior decor.
The cuisine is wonderful and very eclectic, exotic and spicy with specialities from the Antilles, Africa, France and especially Normandy. The exotic dishes include quite a variety of Colombos, Tajines, Ouassous and coco or curry inspired dishes.
The greetings and smiles of welcome are warm and genuine - not only from owners Sylvie and her chef husband Modibo - but also from their staff.
The establishment is divided between the indoor restaurant and bar with it's piano and the spacious shaded patio with its dance-floor. To complete the fun, lively ambiance there's live music with Salsa and other latin dancing most evenings.
I was there for lunch yesterday (previously the joint was only open in the evening) and though I went for a full "à la carte" lunch meal for myself on that occasion, I did note they've got a great value "Lunch Menu du Jour" offering a main course + dessert + a beer/glass of wine + "rapido" service for only 7'000 francs.
I was enchanted with my discovery of the New Africa and shall certainly be returning...

1  Thank Alastair J
RestaurantNewAfrica, Propriétaire at New Africa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2017

Thank you very much for your very detailed comments and which give a very good idea of our proposals to have a good time with us. Many thanks again.

Reviewed 7 March 2017 via mobile

New Africa is one of the best restaurants in Dakar. The cuisine is amazing as well as atmosphere. It's always crowded! We truly enjoyed it.
Of note, be aware about prices, which are quite high as for Dakar.

RestaurantNewAfrica, Propriétaire at New Africa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2017

Thank you very much, the staff works all days for this result , thank you for them.

Reviewed 22 July 2015

I studied abroad for two months in Dakar and this was one of my favorite places! I lived in the neighborhood and every weekend (and even weekdays) my classmates and I would go hang out, have a beer, and use the wifi. During the week New Africa offers dance classes (got to experience salsa and bachata night). I think it's probably the best bar/chill spot in Dakar.

1  Thank lunatravelsabroad
RestaurantNewAfrica, Propriétaire at New Africa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2015

Thanks very much for your comment, we'll try to keep the place fun for you and your friends for a next trip in Dakar.

Reviewed 5 July 2015

While in Dakar for 5 days, I had twice dinner in New Africa, a small restaurant. The owner is a friendly lady who tries to make you feel at home, also as a solo dinner-person. It’s located in a small road in a residential area, just off a main road. It also has a few apartments for rent.

The menu has a interesting mix of Ghanaian and French dishes, catering for all tastes. I ate a fish curry with rice; and a couscous with lamb and chicken the other day. Both days, i had shrimp/avocado salad as a starter. All was well cooked and very very tasteful. Friendly and attentive staff. The second evening, dancing classes were going on, but this did not hinder eating in any way. The restaurant deserves it’s 4* TA rating and is worthwhile the detour. I would certainly go back.

RestaurantNewAfrica, Propriétaire at New Africa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2015

Beyond what there is in a plate, a restaurant owes to be a place of welcoming and opening, in solo or accompanied, just a good moment to pass. Thank you very much

Reviewed 7 May 2015

Three of us went mid evening for dinner. The cab got us close but, then we had to walk down a dirt alleyway after asking some locals where it was att so, it isn't easy for a tourist to find. The menu is varied which makes it interesting. One of us had a chicken dish that he loved and inhaled and was done way before I was. My partner had a small tangine (Moroccan) with beef cooked inside it. He loved it but, wished there was more. I had a shrimp and pasta dish that was really good. I would order it again. We didn't think the price was too bad either. I definitely recommend this place but, be aware, it is not easy to find.

RestaurantNewAfrica, Propriétaire at New Africa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2015

In spite of the difficulties to find our place, sorry, we are happy that our menu was appreciate and give desire to come again. Thank's a lot.