“Smart French restaurant in Almadies”
Review of Le Dionevar

Le Dionevar
Ranked #61 of 240 Restaurants in Dakar
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 4 May 2015

A very smart restaurant, with a good value menu and a wide range of French cuisine (with a local twist of course!) Some great fresh seafood to choose from. Very generous portions. Attentive service and nice atmosphere, with fairy lights sparkling across the roof. Quite a lot of mosquitoes at night (as I found out to my cost!) so don't forget to wear repellant if you are susceptible to being bitten!

Reviewed 19 December 2014

Good, attentive service. Very good food. Good location (the Atlantic is just across the street.) Price: $50 to $60 for dinner for two, no alcohol.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

What a bunch of friendly, caring staff. As soon as we tasted our Margaritas we knew this was a place of quality. We went for the set menu at 8,800 SEF (€13) and were amazed at the high level, freshness and size of the portions My filet of Thioffe was tender and tasty and the beans and spinach were wonderful! I finished with sorbets of cassis and coconut that were heavenly. We were so impressed we went back for dinner the next evening. The staff remembered our names!!A superb experience.

Reviewed 10 February 2013

Most restaurant reviews, I suppose, tell you as much about the reviewer as they do about the restaurant, so as I explain how much my group loved LeDionevar, perhaps I should give a little context so that you can know how to process my thoughts:

1. I'm not the food critic for the New York Times. I'm a simple man. Give me good food that doesn't taste funny for a decent price and I'm happy.

2. We went to this restaurant after living for 10 days in a village in the bush. It is possible, I'm sure, that we compared this meal not to a night out at Tavern on the Green but to 10 days of cuisine prepared by a local woman in the village.

With that being said, we had a great experience. We had a 7+ hour layover at DKR on the way back to the states. We had all of our baggage (quite a bit) The staff allowed us to put our bags in the kitchen (EVERYTHING was there when we got it). The food was a little step toward home. It was pricey by Senegalese standards (we got out of there for about 10,000 CFA per person), but that included an appetizer, an entrée, and a dessert for what amounts to $20 per person.

We plan to go back (we'll have the same layover every time).

1  Thank cbbarber
Reviewed 14 January 2013

I went to Dionevar some years ago, and the food was much better that their neighbor Pointe des Almadies. This time fish was dry and the rest of the dishes "uninspired". Please recover your inspiration! The place is simple a little bit old but ok.