“Wonderful place to visit”

Dwight D. Eisenhower Library and Museum
Ranked #1 of 9 things to do in Abilene
Reviewed 5 April 2018

This is a great place to visit with the boyhood home, museum, library, and place of meditation. Lots of memorabilia is in the museum and the place of meditation is beautiful. The visitor center shows a video with good information, plus has a gift shop.

All reviews
"american hero"
in 11 reviews
"grew up"
in 14 reviews
"president of the united states"
in 7 reviews
"final resting place"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed 4 April 2018

My wife and I arrived to late to enter buildings but we did walk the grounds. Ike's home was very modest, but the library, gift shop, and statue were very impressive and we wished we had time to go back and visit.

Reviewed 25 March 2018

This beautiful site offers more than what one would expect of such a site honoring one of our great Presidents, "The man from Abilene." It gives a great perspective on his life, his great service in WWII, and his time in office. It also provides some historical perspectives of Abilene. Loved it! It will be even better as a renovation is planned for the near future.

Reviewed 23 March 2018

Like other reviewers wrote, I took more hours (five) than I had expected. The first section was on the City of Abilene History during the early frontier days with information about the early lawmen and outlaws and other people. The section on WWII was quite large because of Ike's important role. And then the Presidential Section was large trying to cover Ike's eight years in office.

Presidential Museums remind a visitor on the many things a President is involved with.

1  Thank John C
See more reviews
Reviewed 20 March 2018

We spent over four hours visiting and I still completely missed one of the buildings! I could easily have spent the entire day here. Also, I’d have found it helpful to know that the introductory movie at the Visitor Center starts on the hour and half hour. We had just missed the start by a few minutes so had to wait for the next one.

When we paid, I was given tickets to the next available tour of Ike's boyhood home. We sat on the benches outside and were called in to tour the first floor. It’s amazing that so many people lived in the house! The docent was knowledable and we enjoyed her pointing out things like the homemade quilts. It’s impressive that the brothers were all so accomplished in their lives!

We left the tour to head back to the Visitor Center to see the next movie which gave a great overview of Eisenhower’s life. It was done well.

Our next stop was the Museum. I was excited to see there was a temporary exhibit on the Chisholm Trail. It was really interesting but wordy. I spent a half hour there and still had more to read so I took photos of the scripts to read at home. It was all very informative, especially about the Texas Longhorns.

I found all the exhibits in the museum to be informative and well thought out. I enjoyed seeing the section on Mrs Eisenhower including her clothing! But I loved the section on Ike’s military career and learned a lot about him there, much more so than by reading a book. His responsibility for the DDay invasion was staggering. The exhibits on the hardscape built for the invasion was wonderful. I’d not been able to envision it without seeing the models.

I was stunned to see the cases of medals he had been given after the war ended. He was truly an accomplished man, including serving as President of Columbia University. His Presidency section was also interesting. I’d not realized he was responsible for the Interstate Highway System, NASA, and Civil Rights Acts. I was surprised he preferred being addressed as General versus President. We’d also noted that on General Andrew Jackson's gravestone.

My last stop was the Place of Meditation where he, Mamie, and their son are buried. It’s a beautiful, contemplative space with the stained glass and the small fountain.

There was an exhibit in the Library on WWI but it was five minutes from closing when I left the gravesite. I would definitely return!

2  Thank NieSam