“Great tip for good food”
Review of Koharu Restaurant

Koharu Restaurant
Ranked #373 of 811 Restaurants in Kathmandu
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: First restaurant you can eat TAKOYAKI (Octopus dumpling) in Kathmandu.We offer also OKONOMIYAKI (Japanese pizza), UDON (Japanese noodle), Japanese curry and so on. You can relax and eat delicious and healthy Japanese food at a very reasonable price.
Reviewed 13 March 2017 via mobile

Very big sushi rolls, delicious soba kitsune, not too expensive. Atmosphere could be improved a bit, like with relaxing Japanese music, cause the street provides some noise. But altogether had a great dinner, very content!
(They have a lot more on the menu than just these pictures!)

Reviewed 26 February 2017

Good and quiet place to enjoy Japanese meal! I've tried a number of Japanese restaurants in the city, and this one serves authentic tasty dishes. I ordered grilled fish set, and it's great value for its taste, quality and quantity. Staffs are friendly, and so is the service! Would return to this restaurant the next time I'm in Kathmandu.

Reviewed 30 July 2016

Interested in Japanese food my brother and I decided to try the ramen here. This place was a sad waste of time and money - here's the story. For background info I'm an American that studied in Japan so I speak some Japanese and know a good (or bad) bowl of ramen. First red flag the owner is a Nepali who did not speak much Japanese (when I want Japanese food I prefer authentic).
Appetizer was edamame. Safe, simple and common choice in Japanese cuisine.
It came out burnt and tasteless. It was horrible.
Next the ramen was either 'miso' or 'soy sauce' version. Never heard of either but we opted for the miso version. There was no soy sauce and red pepper spice on the table (which every ramen shop has).so we asked for it..Large chunks of mold or Something was floating around in the soy sauce container and I mentioned this to the owner so he brought us a new one.. It STILL had chunks of whatever floating..clearly visible just less of it..Really? Gross! Next the ramen came and we were very hungry so we tried to eat it even though it looked odd... The ramen did NOT have Ramen noodles! It had spaghetti... I asked the owner and he said exactly this, "no it is not real ramen but it is *like* ramen.." It was disgusting. I mean it would cost the owner maybe 25 rupies to provide a cup of pre-packaged noodles that would have been 10x better tasting than this tasteless spaghetti ramen that costs 350 rupies. We left after a few bites.. and luckily found a much better option in the Momo hut across from Ibyza nightclub. I suggest go there if you want tasty food and Avoid Koharu..

Reviewed 17 July 2016

After having eaten only once this day because of some work and a lingering belly bug gifted to me from Delhi, I thought hard about what food would be worth venturing out in to the muddy, flooded streets and driving rain of a Kathmandu monsoon evening. I decided a simple Miso soup would be the perfect thing, and while trying to find another ( higher rated on trip advisor ) Japanese restaurant, I came upon Koharu. I liked its bold simple sign, really classic. So I found myself above a small courtyard out of the rain, surrounded by bamboo flashings and paintings of Mt. Fuji and takoyaki octopus mascots. It was empty except for me but it was a really nice place to be, would be a lovely place to go with a group of friends. I was immediately served a complimentary (I think?) Japanese tea which was delicious; Mellow and earthy and fragrant, one of the better ones I've ever had actually. I selected from the menu, which had many of the classic Japanese dishes you might expect, a miso soup and a tempura vege rice bowl. Both were delicious and even better than I hoped perhaps, the miso was smooth and rich with a slight tang, the tofu fresh and delicate, the tempura crunchy and seasoned with legit tasting teriyaki sauce, and the rice was what I've come to think of as " Japanese rice ". Both were very fair servings too, no skimping with small bowls like some Japanese places I've been. The staff were friendly and really, I had a very nice time. Tripadvisor can be cruel to incredible places that for one reason or another don't don't trend on people's ratings and reviews, I found this place highly satisfactory and I've no doubt many others will too.

Reviewed 4 June 2016 via mobile

I went based on the reviews of others on their takoyaki but mine came tasteless, just like eating plain flour. Not impressed and will not be making a second visit.