See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 22 February 2014

A friend and myself booked this place for the first half of our trip to Thailand (7 nights). When we got there, everything was fine at first. We were put into a single bed room since we had checked in late and were told that the next morning we will be moved upstairs to the double bed room, as did happen. The place seemed nice, we were told it was "vintage style" so figured that's why everything seemed old and dusty (pfft - this was our attempt to not let anything ruin our trip). However, about the 2nd day into our trip we came across an old man (i assume the owner?), who asked me to turn off the fan outside the room once i was done in that area, i agreed, not knowing that that was the start of constant harassment from this man throughout the course of our stay about turning off lights and being careful with water.
We came across this man again later in the day, with his dog, which roams all over the guest house, it threw up on my friends leg, but she did not make a fuss. When she got up though, she took a napkin off the shelf in the lobby to wipe off the vomit and the old man told her we needed to "buy our own stuff", she tried to explain that it was his dog that had made a mess, but he literally flinged his hand in the air to brush her off and abruptly turned his back. Trying to be easy going, we let this go and continued on enjoying our time in Bangkok. However, regarding our experience at Baan Hua lampong Guesthouse, esp with the staff, it was pretty much downhill from there.
During a shower at one point (one that was about 5 minutes in), the water abruptly stopped, the young man who works there came upstairs to explain that the water was out, and that we needed to use the first floor, once again no complaints from us and i ignored his accusatory tone, just a knod and an "ok". However, throughout the remainder of our trip, the staff would constantly switch off the water at various times during the day and night on the 2nd and 3rd floors (i assume in an attempt to save water). Again we overlooked this (as well as the lack of tissue in the bathrooms) without a peep or word.
When we were booking that place, the reason we agreed to pay that price was because they offered "free WiFi and breakfast" (not knowing that these things were common among places to stay in Bangkok). Wifi in particular, as being 2 young women, half way across the world from our families, we wanted to be able to check in with them a few times to let them know we were safe. On our floor(3rd floor) it was difficult to get wifi but we understood that being a bit high up would affect connectivity. One night, after a long day out, i tried to connect to the wifi, but it was no where to be found my friend tried, and she too was unable. I went downstairs and asked the young man if there was something wrong, he tried several times to connect with my phone but was unable to, while helping me, i saw the old man walking by, starring at us and after a few more attempts, we were able to get through. (My assumption is that the man eventually switched on the wifi). The next day though, just before we left to go see more of Bangkok, my friend pointed out a sign to me that had magically appeared "PLEASE NO COMPLAINTS! THE WIFI IS FREE, AND IF YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO GET THROUGH, IT IS BECAUSE OF PEOPLE LIKE YOU WHO USE THE WIFI HOURS ON END". Despite how disgustingly disrespectful i thought this was, esp since I was not complaining, but simply went to ask(and inform) if something was wrong, and also since we would only use wifi once IF AT ALL in a day, and for a few minutes we felt it wasn't worth it to respond.
The remainder of the days went about like this; on a downward spiral. The staff became more unfriendly, no smiles, short responses, stares, at one point we came in, they were all gathered, and we could tell that after we walked by, they were speaking negatively about us based on the bits of English we could pick up as well as the fact that all four of them were staring at us. It was as if they were paying us to stay there and looking for various ways to disrespect us, although we literally did nothing but let their crap roll off our backs.
Perhaps if you don't mind a bit of uncleanliness, uncertainty about water, and just want a place to crash for a few hours before you get your train, wing it, avoid the staff, and you should be fine. But all in all, I would advise anyone, including animals to avoid this place, merely because the staff are hands down the worst excuse for hospitality that i have ever come across. They are just there to take your money, and they act like it with no remorse.
I do not expect people to wait on me 24/7, esp. in that setting. All we were expecting was a comfortable place to sleep at nights, yet they managed to make this extremely uncomfortable. I am not one to complain either, but this was the only negative part of my vacation in Thailand. I felt the treatment we received was a bit much so I decided to write this. Towards the end of our trip, we returned to Bangkok to get our flight out and stayed at a hostel that was half the price. The experience though, was 10 times better. Staff helpful, clean environment, A/C, running water, and working wifi. We plan to return to Thailand, but Baan Hua Lampong Guest House is a definite no no.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Keryn N
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Avoid this place. If something goes wrong they'll keep your money and get rude:
We checked in early in the morning at 06:45 am on a Monday. The room was shabby. Many mosquitos, plastic mattress cover, badly leaking air con and a malfunction shower, for 750 better places nearby are available as we found out later, but after on overnight bustrip we accepted. We paid for one night the 700 baht. Nobody said it would be extra charge for early check in, just 700 baht till Tuesday. At 02:45 am we woke up from the sudden constant beeping of the malfunctioning air con machine. Staff tried to fix it but nothing worked, so we asked for another room. None were available. I asked for a refund but was told to settle it with the manager in the morning. We managed to find another room in a nearby hostel which saved us from suddenly being out on the street. Cost: another 750 baht making total of 1450 for an interrupted night. I trusted all would be okay in the morning except for some lost sleep.

WRONG!
Talking with the manager she pointed out we checked in early and had to pay two nights for less then 24h. Absurd reasoning. At my calm reply asking for a more fair way of settling the matter she started screaming at me, pointing a finger and telling me to get lost. I tried to reason but to no avail. I felt like she stole from us and then threatened us. Not before I invited her to call the police she offered a 116 baht refund. When the police arrived he told me it was fair within the situation, where he ruled out our extra costs as a valid argument. Meanwhile the bully kept constantly interrupting us. We had no choice but to leave.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We made a reservation via email a week before arriving and received confirmation of the reservation. When we arrived we were told we were at the wrong guest house and sent down the street. But the guest house down the street (@hualampong) was not the place we had a reservation. We returned to Baan Hualampong with the printed out confirmation letter. They did not have the room we reserved and wanted to charge more than the confirmation email stated (750B for King w/ A/C + private bath -vs- 750B no A/C and no private bath). Instead we went across the street to Your Place Guest House and got two twin beds w/ A/C, shared bath, way more awesome place for 600B.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sarah W
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed in the four bed dorm twice and then a twin room.
Very clean and comfortable.
Lockers for backpacks, towels, toilet paper and shower gel provided.
Staff extremely helpful.
Bag storage can cost 20baht or can be left in a decent location free of charge.
Nice chill out area rarely used.
Restaurant handy and affordable.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I didn't actually get to stay here as they were fully booked but they were very helpful. BTW, if they are full DO NOT stay at the place across the street--Your Place Guesthouse. That place sucked--it was the worst place I stayed during my month in Southeast Asia. See more in their review.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo