Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 20 September 2012

I don't usually write reviews, but I'd like to warn other travelers about places to potentially avoid. This is one of them. There were 3 main problems with the place, as outlined in other negative reviews of this place.

1. There are giant nasty roaches everywhere. These were the first giant bugs I saw in Thailand- in my room and in the bathroom. ::shudder:: I saw them every night.
2. The shared bathrooms were among the filthiest I've ever seen in a hostel. They smelled of feces, and the walls, floor and shower curtain was covered with mildew. The shower curtain rod was completely broken and actually fell on top of my head when I pulled back the shower curtain. Ouch!
3. The rooms were tiny and poorly insulated from the abundant noise of drunk people coming in and out. We got little sleep.

Full disclosure: I didn't complain about these things because there was really not much the management could do about the problems while we were there, but I certainly wouldn't stay there again. Also, it should be obvious that bathrooms should be clean and there shouldn't be roaches!

Good things: The location was decently close to the palace and Wat Pho, though no cab driver had ever heard of this hostel. The coffee was good and the staff seemed well-meaning. In all, I'd recommend staying elsewhere.

Date of stay: August 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Claudia P
iamBankoc, Owner at Niras Bankoc Cultural Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2012

Dear valued guest,
First of all , thank you and we take all comments seriously and sincerely sorry that we did not meet your expectation.

Importantly,regarding the problems,It is unfortunate that we haven't receive your complaint while staying with us for 4 nights.As the owner of this property, i am always there at the front office and ready to assist all guests.We are truly sorry that you underestimated that our team could not do much about these problems and we had no chances to fix problems immediately for you .

Please kindly find our honest reply to each comment as below :
1. Regarding roaches, in Thailand we accepted that it's possible and common that you have seen a few of them at night in the rainy season like August.Originally they were not in our hostel and possibly from outside street when the window or door openned .We would to confirm that roaches are not related with our own cleanliness quality and level . To be fair,our property could not operate or run if there are roaches everywhere and all other guests might not happy about it.
However, now we are working on the approach how to protect and control them from outside .

2..As most of backpackers and travellers , select our hostel for its cleanliness as key factor. We are sorry that it's not you expectation as hotel standard.Sometimes it happen for the communal facilities you shared with other guests.However, we have our own standard that the shared bathrooms are always cleaned and checked quite offten at least 5 times a day .Moreover, the shower curtian rod was accidentally broken while you were using. We already changed the new one for this bathroom and sorry for this unexpected issue.

3.Regarding noise, we are sorry that other young group enjoyed drinking and loudly talked to bother your room.If you informed us that night regarding disturbance , we would take immediately action and warn them during that night .

Our mission is still the same .We do care regarding service & guest's satisfaction.However as a little help, we wish kind and valued guests will bring us sincere comments or even complaints to help us to improve the quality and offer guests overall happy experience.

Best regards,
Niras team

Reviewed 5 September 2012

It has a nice atmosphere, and the staff is helpful and nice, but it's too expensive for the size of the rooms, the location and the facilities. If you saw the pictures on their website in advance, it'll be a big disappointment.

Date of stay: August 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
iamBankoc, Owner at Niras Bankoc Cultural Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2012

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your comments. However ,as we checked the details of the guests who checked in August 2012, there are two bookings of a couple under the same first name like yours" Ivan".
One is the the guest suddenly cancelled thier booking and was charged by credit card.
Second, the guest who booked the budget room and upgraded to the most expenesive room of our property - ensuite room with full facilities for free.

We are really not sure you are eithe first or second valued guest.However, we think that possibly you might be the 1st guest who was charged by cancellation. We also reported to TA regarding this.

For the comments , truthfully we would like to make sure that every photo of our room are real and no computer edit from our website or even on this site. We are just small and honest hostel and there's no budget for computerizing the photos.

Regards,
Niras Team

Reviewed 7 August 2012 via mobile

Feels like home. Friendly service. Amazing breakfast. Free wifi. Close to major attractions. I spent several nights here and loved it. The staff go above and beyond to help customers and do all they can to make your stay worth while.

Date of stay: July 2012
1  Thank H9695QYjenniferb
iamBankoc, Owner at Niras Bankoc Cultural Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2012

Dear Valued guest,

Thank you very much for your kind compliment and review.Thank you so much for your long stay and spending time to enjoy the cultural trip and old Bangkok.
We 're happy to take care of you and giving you advice.
Hope to see you again next time in our city.

Happy Travels!
Niras Team

Reviewed 27 July 2012

The staff was so friendly and helped us write everything down in Thai so that there was no confusion when needing to cab to the bus station.

They are very secure and are in a fantastic location - near all the temples and Khao San Road. It was fairly clean. It was nice and quiet. :)

Date of stay: June 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends

Dear Valued guest,

Thank you very much for taking time to write us the kind review and seeing the values of our service.
We were glad that you liked our cultural character and location of old city.
Hope to meet the real traveller like you and welcome your group again in the future.

Best regards,
Niras team

Reviewed 8 April 2012

My recent 2 night stay at Niras Bankoc was wonderful. When I travel I usually stay at a hotel, but I decided to enjoy a few days at Niras Bankoc after a friends recommendation. I wasn't disappointed.

The hostel is a beautiful old wooden building in a quiet area very close to cultural Bangkok "must-sees" like the Grand Palace, the Reclining Buddha and the amazing Chao Phraya River. I was warmly welcomed at check-in and shown to my private air conditioned room. The room was well furnished in keeping with the style of the Hostel and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was very clean and well maintained.

Niras Bankoc has a great vibe about it with an excellent common room for mingling with other guests. A delicious breakfast was served in the cafe at the front of the hostel and I was sure to grab a coffee from the cafe before I ventured out sightseeing for the day. Make sure to check out the local food stalls too, for an interesting range of delicious Thai treats.

One of Niras Bankoc's greatest attributes is its staff. I was treated so well by everyone and received a huge amount of advice and information to help me with making the most of my visit to Bangkok. Most of the reception staff spoke good English which was so helpful and reassuring for someone like me who cant speak Thai.

All in all, my stay at Niras Bankoc was memorable. Its a beautiful place and I will definitely stay here again on my next visit to Bangkok.

Date of stay: March 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
iamBankoc, Owner at Niras Bankoc Cultural Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2012

Thank you very much for your kind contribution and spending some times to write us the review.
It's very kind of you.Every review means a lot to us and also give other travellers the real perspective of our property .Hope to welcome and see you again in the future.