“Good for short stay or Long-Term”
Review of Galleria@SUBWAY

Galleria@SUBWAY
Ranked #488 of 728 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I've stayed here several times now. All long-term stays. We were looking for a convenient place near a subway/MRT in a local type area.

The rooms are simple square studio-type rooms. The bathroom is small and functional, with a full bath tub and on-demand hot water. The small patios have an outdoor sink and some cabinet space for storage. Like many places in Bangkok, there are no kitchen facilities. The hotel rooms come with refrigerators, and long-stay rooms have them if you need one. You can use a hot plate in your room if you like to cook.

We chose not to have a tv in our room, but they have them available with cable for long stays (they are standard in the nightly hotel rooms).

The facility is a well-kept building with plenty of parking in a back soi of this neighborhood, and is one of the nicer buildings in the area. The maintenance staff is great and they make quick work of any repairs needed.

I believe wifi is included in hotel-type rooms. For longer stays, you can buy wifi access of varying degrees up to 800THB for 30days Unlimited. It is reasonably fast and rarely hiccups, but each login is for a single device only.

The housekeeping staff does a great job, and we never had any issues with them at all. You have to pay extra for it on long stays, but it is not at all expensive.

A/C works well (I think they recently upgraded most of the A/C units), and keeps the room cool so long as you keep the bathroom door closed. the bathroom windows do not close or seal.

Obviously, your reasons for being in Bangkok at all will determine whether this is a good fit for you or not. We liked the proximity to both the MRT and the thriving night market. There are not too many foreigners in this working-class neighborhood, but the locals are all very friendly.

There are more shops catering to women (salons and such) than anything else, but there is everything you would need within a short walk.

Local Tip: Rung is the lovely lady that makes delicious fried chicken at the soi intersection during the day, and the best omelettes over rice most evenings. She is across from Boa's restaurant, which between the two of them, can keep you fed the entire time you're in Bangkok.

There are also at least 4 7-11 stores within about 500 meters of the building, and the night market runs every night until about sunrise.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank James S

Reviewed 12 February 2012

The general location is the only thing going for this hotel. But it is located in a back street of Hua Kwuan. It is dark dirty and smells horrible. I almost threw up walking to my hotel from the market. The service is only OK (I am being generous). The room has grey sheets, not because they are grey, at one time you can tell they were white. For 800 baht per night I have stayed in much better hotels than this one. Don't waste your time or money on this one. Stay some where else.

Room Tip: Not in this hotel. Run away!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank divingpcola
Reviewed 21 September 2011

I stayed in this apartment for 1 month a year ago.

rent is 9000 baht a month

it's awful. I've been to Bangkok many times.. and always stay in an apartment or serviced apartment.

this apartment is a trouist trap!

- the room is dirty, smelly and old with bugs (compeletely different from the pics shown in their website)
- they asked me to pay deposit via Paypal in advance while most standard Thai apartment doesn't required that. when i arrive at late night, the secure took my passport and said it will be returned to me when i pay the rest amount during office hour... then he took me to my room, when i opened the door, i almost faint! it's the worst apartment i've stayed in bangkok!

- Hidden VAT tax 7% ! (there's no VAT for any apartment rental in thailand!)
- electricity at 11 baht per unit (crazy! most other thai apartments charge 5 to 7 baht)
- the electricity meter is locked and hidden and i'm unable to check the reading. at the end of the month, I was asked to pay 5000 baht (I only use air-con 8 hours to 10 hours a day and in my previous apartments, the electricy bill for 1 month is around 1600 baht to 2000 baht)
- Internet is 800 baht a month (1M speed) (it should be less than 500 baht for 3M speed)

brand new apartments 100 meter at the end of the same street, much better room only cost 4000 baht a month and electricty and internet also half price!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
5  Thank Budget_Traveller2011
Reviewed 23 August 2011

We lived at the Galleria@Subway for 1 month. We wanted to spend a bunch of time in Bangkok to visit with family so we signed a 30 day lease. The daily cost turned out to be about $15 USD per day, which isn't bad for Bangkok; so, that's a plus. The building is very close (2 min walk) to the Huai Kwuang subway station, that's also a plus. Other than that you can expect a dingy, dysfunctional room in a building surrounded by houses of ill repute. They offer two cleanings a month, which A) is ridiculous and B) the rooms are so nasty a 30 minute clean job wouldn't matter. The room greeted us with bugs galore, but a quick trip to the department store for a bottle of RAID did the trick. I think you get the point by now ... place is nasty, but cheap. Last but not least, no free wifi although the front desk does sell monthly internet plans. Actually, the more I write about this place the more I realize that after paying for internet, bottles of bug spray, and cleaning supplies I guess this place wan't as cheap as I thought =)

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nosearg
Reviewed 11 February 2011

Although the management was great about early check in at 4am the bath was filthy, there was no power cord for the TV and the room had bedbugs. Plus it took me over two hours of walking to find the place because their map was not quite accurate. I left immediately and had to find another hotel. My email request for a refund was ignored for a week (perhaps until management thought I'd left thailand after my one week reservation) and I was told rather that refund my paypal I had to come in person for a refund. Again I managed to find the place despite their map. I was penalized one day for "acepting the key" - they said that counted as one night despite leaving without even using their filthy dirty toilet. Ny refund was in thai bhat at a rate that was quite beneficial to the hotel. My $189 USD payment bacame a refund of less than $160. I suppose I chould be happy they only cheated me out of about $30 instead of the whole $189. Their pictures are quite good - making the place look mujch better than reality. Saying they were "recently remodeled" must use a loose definition of remideled.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo