“Oriental paradise... All I can say”

Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok
Ranked #2 of 863 Hotels in Bangkok
Paris, France
“Oriental paradise... All I can say”
Reviewed 16 April 2012

The Mandarin... What a place, it's elegant, grand and just mind-blowing. From the minute you see the traditionally dressed thai doormen, the 7-series BMW limousines and the floor to ceiling windows you know it will be perfect. The climate in the lobby is perfect and the staff incredibly polite. You can walk out to the riverside restaurant and have a perfect thai meal. The pool is amazing and the chairs incredibly comfortable. The rooms are spacious and with amazing views. The spa feels like an oriental paradise where the masseuses with give you the best massage of your lives. The authors lounge takes you back in time, you can enjoy tea with your family and have the best time. To get to the spa and sport facilities you have to take the beautiful boat to travel the river. The only downside of the hotel is the tennis courts weren't free at a price of 45usd per hour. Besides from that the hotel is simply perfect.

Room Tip: PLEASE choose a Deluxe room in a high floor. BREATHTAKING views
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (617)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I experienced Excellent stays for each of the past 46 years, several in some years. Feeling of being at home and more. From butler to front door attendant and at every level of staffing service provided is the envy of the Lodging Indusrty. The general managers Jan Goessing's , skills and management are a testimony to this end. A year remains incomplete without at least one stay at the Bangkok Mandarin Oriental.

Room Tip: End suites receive more inflow of sunlight.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We arrived from Narita WED at 11:05PM. If I can give you any advice, order the "Arrive in Style" package. I had an 82 year old man with me and this Oriental service took all the worry away. I didn't have to think about anything. We were guided through the process in everyway, so quick. I just looked at the long line and smiled that we didn't have to be in it.

The Oriental, just like The Imperial in Tokyo did not charge for the wheel chair. I will say that the wheel chair at The Imperial had brakes, etc. and was easier to use.

We decided to spend a half day at the Bridge at the River Kwai. Our driver from the hotel was really so sweet to my elderly friend who sat in the front seat. He pointed out so many things. They may not have been able to understand each word exactly, but all in all so meaningful for my friend. Our driver hauled that wheel chair out of the trunk multiple times. So nice.

I agree with other folks, why charge for the internet. Doesn't make sense.

Also, the Veranda restaurant, wow, needs new management. Service was not good. All seemed to be trying hard, but clearly a management issue and training. Food is still AOK. Unless you got up to leave, you couldn't get a check.

I wanted to my elderly friend to have a long boat trip on the river, but he couldn't get in, too bumpy. So we took the boat that goes back and forth to the spa a few times. At one point, they took us on a little more of a cruise. I can't tell you how much it meant to us that the hotel would do this for us. So sweet.

I stayed in the Noel Coward room in the Author's Suite. The room attendant and all the other folks that took care of us, were amazing.

We had a 4am drive to the airport this morning. When we arrived the driver jumped out and got us the wheel chair service and the luggage cart, etc. and insisted I do nothing. I can't tell you how nervous I was thinking about arranging this, and he took care of everything.

I CAN'T WAIT for my next visit.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Dubai, U.A.E.
Reviewed 15 April 2012

There are a few hotels in the world that make their guests feel like superstars.. this is one of them. The staff are extremely courteous and the service is lovely. We had the dinner buffet one night and if i could've grown another stomach to fill with food, i would have. Being Muslim i appreciate that the meats are halal. The spa was lovely.. i had a facial and my husband the Thai massage... expensive but lovely. Overall, a very nice experience.

Room Tip: We had a 2nd floor room in the old wing. It was very cute with views of the river. Very quiet. I fel...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Monte Carlo
Reviewed 15 April 2012

The Mandarin Oriental Bangkok is simply, as good as it gets.

Room Tip: Get a river view room for sure!~
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family