We always travel with the American Express Centurion benefits so some of our reviews may be shifted toward the top, but what we found this time is a real pearl which should not be missed. The attention to details goes that little step ahead which makes you feel really special. The service is superior, as well as the quality of the rooms (we had a river view suite) and the dedication the staff gives to special requests (a private tour guide, a birthday cake and flowers).
During our visit (December 2014) there were some ongoing maintenance works at the Verandah (close to the swimming pool): some noise but really well managed in terms of work time and disruption to the day-to-day life in the hotel.
Pros: the hotel terrace restaurant (on the other side of the river, easily reached by the hotel shuttle service) cannot be missed. The suites are quite spacious and the facilities/amenities of excellent quality. Service to die for. Food and drinks as you would expect in this sort of accommodation. Breakfast is excellent, with good food variety and a pleasant view on the river.
Cons: the location is fine, but some of the surroundings are very Bangkok-ish. Nothing against that, but a romantic walk in the evening outside of the hotel can somehow spoil the entire poetry. Several simple things are definitely overpriced, but in line with the expectations. Wi-Fi is charged (not terribly expensive, but a bit of a surprise considering the status of the hotel).
We did not visit the Spa and I suspect it was a mistake. Life is sometimes tough: we will visit again. Absolutely an hotel to keep on the list if you go.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built in 1876 and ideally located on the banks of the Chao Phraya River, Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok, has been an inspiration to a host of world-renowned writers from Joseph Conrad, Somerset Maughamto Wilbur Smith and John Le Carre. Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok boasts an international reputation for splendid service, style and grace and facilities including eight restaurants. The hotel's private teakwood shuttle boats provide daily access to the world famous Thai Cooking School, the hotel's Thai restaurant, the award-winning Oriental Spa and Health Centre located across the River; as well as the nearest skytrain station (SaphanTaksin) and River City Shopping Centre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Mandarin Oriental, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Ctrip TA and Agoda so you can book your Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok Hotel Bangkok
- Oriental Bangkok
- Oriental Hotel Bangkok
- Bangkok Mandarin Oriental