US$81
US$78
US$89
US$80
4,704 results
All reviewsbamboo baracross the riverfloor butlerauthor's loungechina housesala rim naamlord jimbest hotels in the worldgrand dameriverside terracegarden wingthai restaurantbutler serviceview of the riverchao phraya riverhotel boatpool staff
Reviewed 7 July 2009

If you can afford to stay here, it's a 'must do' in Bangkok. We stayed in the Gore Vidal suite on the 14th floor, which had sensational views of the river and a spacious, plush interior - very indulgent!

Was a little surprised to find crumbs on the lounge and a long black hair in the basin when we checked in....but from thereon, cleaning was more acceptable.

The butler was very attentive (perhaps a bit too enthusiastic at times, as we found ourselves creeping along the hallway on the odd occasion in an effort to avoid his attention!). To be fair, we may have utilised his services more appropriately had we been there on business - but being on the last stint of our holiday, we had no shoes suitable for polishing nor clothes worth washing. Still he did book us a very good table at Le Normandie - which we thoroughly enjoyed - highly recommended if you can afford to pay a bit extra.

In room dining was excellent (the roast chicken and pea soup with truffle oil were very yummy) and food at the Verandah and terrace was also exceptional.

Service was very attentive and friendly - they obviously train their people to use guest surnames associated with room numbers, as everyone seemed to know who we were - and as a bonus, it wasn't stuffy or pretentious.

The limousine service offered was worthwhile - providing a very relaxing, hassle-free transfer to and from the airport.

After reading some of the trip advisor reviews, I was a little concerned that this hotel may have been a bit too serious about itself and that the staff would be 'legends within their own hotel' - but I was relieved to find that this wasn't the case. Service is excellent and without attitude.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RnR_Report
Reviewed 6 July 2009

This was the last stop of our honeymoon last november and what a way to finish it off. Without doubt one if not the best hotel we have ever stayed in. The service was fantastic and this was tested with the issues surrounding the closure of the airport at the time due to the political protests. We were delayed for 4 days and the staff were great with regular updates and in the end it was the hotel who offered us a place on a chater flight out of the country. We could have still been there until christmas had this not been the case, although when we got home we wondered why we left. We could have stayed here for months. Service was second to none. We loved the pool area and spa. The hotel is luxury personified and there is not much more you can say.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HappyGilmore101
Reviewed 25 June 2009

After staying two nights at this world renowned property, I can only say that it is only the brand that remains now. I was literally pained to see the legendary charm of this hotel just vanishing in thin air. All the staff I met, except the housekeeping, had a certain air of superiority. Once I arrived at the hotel, the bellboy didn't even offer to carry my bag..(because I arrived in a taxi? ) and after check in I was directed to the elevator by a swing of the hand..Do you mind escorting me to the room ? This in the very beginning made me upset. After that at every encounter with the staff, right from the restaurant (Le Normandie) to Concierge, I could feel a distinct condescending attitude.The facilities, especially the spa was great though! But I was really put off by the staff attitude and would like the management to look into it to restore its old glory.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
9  Thank pheerakarn
Reviewed 20 June 2009

Service and staff extremely helpful and friendly at the hotel. And the location was great for river based tours (the evening boat dinner cruise is recommended). However note that you are paying for the name and the size/appointments of the rooms is small for the price.

Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rich1212
Reviewed 18 June 2009

I stayed at the Oriental only for one night and it was a fantastic experience. We booked a DLUX room that had a separate living room area with fantastic views over the river The room was very clean and the bed was really comfortable. I did not use the swimming pool, a bit overcrowded for my taste....Breakfast was very good , we also had luch in the restaurant and it was fantastic. We also spent sometime in the bar and I had the best cocktails ever!!!!!

Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple