“Nice Location”
Review of Grand President

Grand President
Ranked #750 of 894 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 2 December 2014

Firstly on arrival we had a very warm welcome by all on concierge desk and front main desk, after speaking with the front desk me and my girlfriend were told the room we booked wasn't available (although the hotel had 3 buildings to choose from) and we had to be moved into the smokers building, we weren't overly excited about this as we knew it would come with a stench of stale smoke and of course we were right. The hotel wasn't that busy either so I couldn't see why we weren't given the room we requested.
The rooms them selves are nice, dated but very nice, that is until you wish to take a shower and the shower didn't work properly, extremely temperamental and never had hot water.
Breakfast was very good until one morning they decided to stop serving bacon this really annoyed me as it was the main thing i ate for breakfast.
The swimming pools are a real sun trap and have all day sun shine so that was a bonus.
The best thing about this hotel was Mr Supachai Thongrak, he is the assistant concierge and should be in charge of them, he knew everything! He was so helpful with tours information, area information, no matter what we asked he was there to help. All hotels should have a Supachai Thongrak to set an example for everyone else.
The hotel is situated in an all access area for food, bars, shops and most important the sky train. you must ride this train if you are in Bangkok an all day pass is so cheap!
Overall our stay was okay, had Supachai Thongrak not been there it could have been a lot worse so a thank you goes to him.

Room Tip: Wouldn't matter if i did as they made us stay in the smoking rooms anyway - so we weren't ev...
  • Stayed: November 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank James B
GPBangkok, General Manager at Grand President, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2014

Dear Sir
Thank you for having taken the time to write a review on tripadvisor. We appreciate the feedback and we can learn from the pros and cons mentioned in your write up. Firstly, I would like to apologies that we have given you a smoking room which is unacceptable. It can happen that when we run high occupancy that we are not able to provide the preferred room type, however, I will talk to the Front Office manager accordingly to be more careful.
We were happy to read regarding the praise of Khun Supachai and we are delighted the way you were praising him,. We shall inform him accordingly and give him a small token of appreciation.
We hope that you will return to Grand President one day and remain.
With best regards.
Grand President Team

Write a ReviewReviews (1,768)

Reviewed 1 December 2014

Airport Transfer: There was an oversight but the handler resolved it fairly quick.
Check-In: Took a little longer than expected due to a large group ahead of me
Rooms: I always stay in Tower 3, which has the lowest category of rooms, but it works for me. They have recently been generally overhauled.
Staff: I have never had any complaints about the staff. Many have been working there for a long time, and remember returning guests.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MMinty78
GPBangkok, General Manager at Grand President, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2014

Dear Sir
Thank you very much for your precise comment on tripadvisor. We were pleased to learn that you find our Hotel suitable for you and the rooms in Tower 3 well appointed. It was also great to read that our staff are remembring our valued return guest and we sure hope that we can be service to you again in the near future.
With kind regards.
Grand President Team

Reviewed 11 November 2014

I stayed at these for 4 nights in November 2014. Booked the studio room in Tower 3(most of the studio rooms are in this tower) read reviews on Tripadvisor positive and negative thought of cancelling but went ahead finally. Reached Bangkok by 1am in the night took a taxi and every one knows the hotel 225 THB +75THB(toll gates) reached hotel around 2am.

Check in was fast, bellboy bought my luggage and tipped him went happily room is more than cool very big 2nd floor bathroom is little old but it doesn't matter to me this hotel is guest friendly. Breakfast is ok some Indian, Chinese and continental breakfast available. Very well suituated near to nana plaza and soi cowboy. I strongly recommend this hotel to everyone.

Room Tip: If you can choose a room, I heard that tower1 have renovated rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank christopher R
Reviewed 11 November 2014

Reasonable value for money compact apartments which have clearly been well used over the years.However they are very practical and well equipped with Kettle,microwave, crockery,fridge,Lcd tv,room safe with a bath and shower within the bathroom.
The free WI FI worked very well in the room.
Rooftop pool was nice in tower 3.Well equipped gym with a laundry room to the side.
Security guard at the entrance and access to the lifts with room key card only.
Decent German bar located at the bottom of the hotel.
Great location in Sukhumvit Soi 11.5 minutes walk to Nana Skytrain station.Plenty of choice of restaurants,bars,streetfood,convenience stores,beauty salons and currency exchange booths in very close proximity.Plenty of taxis to the airport etc outside hotel.
Book in advance for best deal.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 November 2014

I have stayed at this hotel a total of 8 times (150 nights) within the last 18 months. The location in soi 11 is great, shops and food nearby. As mentioned by other reviewers, the 3 towers differ in room quality. I have only ever stayed in junior suites in tower 1 and especially enjoyed the pool which can be accessed 24 hours (even though signs say it is closed after 10pm) and is a green oasis in an otherwise bustling, somewhat dirty city like Bangkok. The rooms are large and well-appointed but are starting to show a bit of wear and tear. Renovations should be undertaken in the near future to keep this property on a competitive level.

Even though there is only one "junior suite type" to be booked, the rooms vary by floor and location as I had to find out during my last two trips. The by now familiar layout seemed like it had shrunk, and, indeed on the fire escape map I could see that the corner suites are quite a bit smaller than the suites located in the middle of the floor. Also, the top floor has "design windows" which are smaller than the usual full-wall windows on lower floors. As a regular guest paying full rate, I felt a bit cheated but was not offered a room change when I called the front desk. I do not expect special treatment but as someone who (if they check their system they should see this) spends upwards of $10000 per year at this hotel I would have liked a bit of courtesy (either give me the normal suite or offer me a small freebie, fair is fair).
Breakfast has a lot of variety but can get crowded, especially between 9:30 and 10:30. Room service is timed unpredictably (sometimes 9:30am, sometimes not until 3pm) but they deserve a few words of praise: every room service employee I ever encountered in the hallway or elevator greeted me politely, even left the elevator to make space for me so I did not have to wait for the next one. Also, the rooms are cleaned quite well and even used dishes are washed and dried. One day I did not need service, so the following day the cleaner left 4 instead of the usual 2 free bottles of water included in the room price. This is not a big deal (maybe worth 25c) but in Bangkok "thinking" service like this is quite unusual. If someone deserves and appreciates a tip it is the room service crew at this hotel.
Front desk employees are very friendly, sometimes it gets confusing when trying to extend my stay (had to come back in the morning of my original departure date because they cannot check you in a day early). Credit card payments via the hotel website went through without issues and there were never any "mystery charges" as can happen in Bangkok. The only issue is that for some reason during 3-4 of my stays the hotel converted the original price into Euro for me at a 3% fee without me agreeing. I would have preferred to pay in Baht and have my cc company convert the price.

Summary: Old-school hotel with large rooms, great pool and breakfast, affordable but starting to age.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled on business