US$162
US$36
US$30
Agoda.com
Savings alert! 38% below average rates

The price you found is 38% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$48/night.

US$95
US$80
US$183
US$154
Agoda.com
Rainforest Boutique(Chiang Mai)(Great Value!)
US$47
US$178
Hotels.com
US$371
US$213
All reviewstha pae gateaccess cardlady ownerold cityloy krathong festivalgreat place to staywithin easy walking distancenight marketbalconywifitoiletthb
Reviewed 14 November 2015

I've slept in a lot of Asian guesthouses, and this bed was definitely harder than most. There was a funky smell, too, and my "view" was another building, about 2 feet away.
Didn't get a good night's sleep at all, and checked out the next day.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank Roam T
Reviewed 25 October 2015 via mobile

I love this place. I have stayed here on several occasions. Mostly for a month or two. It's in the best location, near the Tha Pae Gate, where most of the festivities take place. It's also tucked away enough so it's peaceful throughout the day and night. What I also love about the Ban Wiang is the friendly and courteous staff. They're polite and very accommodating. I'm happy with the cleanliness, the Wi-Fi and the security. I can't see myself changing guest houses. Yes I am very satisfied with the Ban Wiang Guest House. Enjoy your stay!

Stayed: October 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 October 2015

We always stay here when we come back to Chiang Mai. The staff are friendly and helpful, they also speak excellent English. It is based in a quiet street, inside the moat very close to Tha Phae Gate and many other amenities such as the Sunday Walking Street market (**the refurbishment works have now finished**). We stay in one of the larger corner rooms with a balcony, they are always clean, quiet and well kept, with wifi, air con, fan, fridge, tv, wardrobe, desk, table and a large bed. (I have just read one of the other reviews and feel the need to respond. If you are scared of insects do not come to Thailand! You seem to have an unhealthy sense of entitlement). Anyway, there are so many local places to eat, western food to traditional Thai food and everything in-between, one of the most simply satisfying things to do when we stay here is choose where to eat, all within easy walking distance. We definitely recommend the family restaurant further along the same street with roasted fish outside, or another family place opposite the end of the street called Sailom Joy. If you fancy something a bit more upmarket try Costa Coffee on the corner, air con inside, or sit outside and watch the world go by and plan the rest of your trip. People normally set aside just 2 days to experience a Chiang Mai visit. I would recommend so much longer and there is not a better place to stay for the price.

Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 October 2015

I stayed at Ban Wiang for over a month and really enjoyed my stay! I felt I should leave a review, which isn't something I usually do, not just because I am very pleased with my experience here, but also in response to the last (negative) review.

If you're of a paranoid disposition and stay up all night worrying about the possibility of bugs attacking you in the night, then I'm not surprised if you don't sleep well, but this has nothing to do with the guesthouse, which is thoroughly cleaned on a regular basis.
This is Thailand, and you will occasionally find little beetle bugs and ants running around. Nothing anywhere near an infestation, but if you leave food or crumbs out they will find it. This is nothing to be concerned about, especially if you know how to clean up after yourself.

Of all the residents I spoke to, everyone was very happy staying here. It's so close to everything, but at the same time, just tucked away enough that it is peaceful and relaxing, with little noise outside.
The location is very convenient and there are plenty of places nearby to grab coffee, drinks and food.

Very rarely were there any wifi issues, which is very important to me as I settled in this guest house to get a lot of work done online.

The price is also a major plus point and should I return to Chiang Mai I will definitely stay in Ban Wiang guest house.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank jkj87
Reviewed 6 October 2015 via mobile

I don't know where to start... We did a walk-in booking at this guesthouse, quickly looking at the double bed fan room which looked run down but ok for 2 nights & at a cheap price. The online reviews had mostly been positive especially about the location. But Then our nightmare began!
The first night we went to go to bed & noticed dirty old bedding with no top sheet (just mattress cover!) the bathroom was riddled with ants & was the smallest & worst design. the whole room appeared to never have been cleaned. It felt really gross! I found a dead bug in the bed & then couldn't sleep from paranoia about there being bed bugs. We survived the night with no bites & set off for our day's activities! Returning in the afternoon the guesthouse was undergoing renovation & we put up with an hour of the loudest drilling right above our room before I went to reception to ask what was going on. They told me it would finish at 5pm- fine, but they should have mentioned this at check-in or offered a discount for the inconvenience. We were trying to have an afternoon rest & couldn't hear each other even when screaming. It was ridiculous!
We got out of there returning at 9pm where shortly later I noticed a bug on me, I pulled it off to reveal a bloodied bite. I went downstairs to the owner to enquire whether they'd had any reports of bed bugs & to let her know what happened. She was defensive & dismissive, saying I needed a photo & that no reports had ever been made by guests in that room. I would have expected an offer to be moved rooms at the very least?
Next I stayed up on 'bug patrol' unable to sleep & at 2am a bed bug rears its ugly head. I caught it with a cup, we packed our bags & took off, sleeping in the reception area on wooden chairs until the staff arrived at 7am. I showed them the bug & they seemed shocked & worried at first, the manager apologised & mentioned something about 'she would have moved our room last night if she'd seen it', then I checked out, receiving back the key hold money but no offer of refund- we slept on the reception floor for gods sake! I questioned her about the insect but she insisted it wasn't a bed bug & was a Chiangmai bug that likes light? Great excuse! It came out in the dark middle of night!
Extremely disappointed with this run down filthy place. Would not recommend anyone stay here. It might be cheap but not worth ruining your holiday like we did. We now feel gross, itchy & worried about our luggage being infected. Worst place ever!

Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple