“A Great Place To Stay”
Review of Furama Chiang Mai

Furama Chiang Mai
Ranked #229 of 392 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed 9 February 2017

We stayed three nights in total. The staff are courteous and helpful. The rooms were clean, cool and well stocked. The breakfast included was more than adequate for us Canadians. We did do the Night Plaza which is a little far away but we happened upon a couple other markets within walking distance. The MAYA Plaza is a short walk away. All in all, a great place to stay.

Room Tip: I would suggest a room near the elevators and a room with a view.
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
FrontDepartment, Front Office Manager at Furama Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2017

Dear MinnieMinnow,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. We are glad to know you are happy with our staff & our hotel and understanding of the features of the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Furama Chiangmai Hotel.

Reviewed 6 February 2017

A few years back this was probably a super hotel in Chiang Mai as are many of its cousin properties such as Kuala Lumpur but not today. Big room and swift elevators are a strong feature however the rooms are in in need of more than TLC they need a complete refurbishment. The suite I occupied could have been very nice, ok it was not very expensive in line with other local properties I suppose and yet it was in a poor physical condition. The bathroom was poor, the main shower head hanged drunkenly to one side where the bracket was at a 45 degree angle, the faucets in the shower were unmarked for hot and cold and you had to wait a long time to get hot water. The window blinds had mold on them and nobody ever opened them to notice the windows were filthy inside and out. Let me also mention the protruding screw on the coffee table draw where a knob once was secured and now aimed at knee level to catch a leg.
So much for the downside of the suite breakfast has issues not least of which are the bus loads of tourists grabbing over the food, piling their plates high, stuffing rolls in their pockets etc. I do give credit to the staff who try valiantly to manage the melee. The man making omelets is a wizard producing 4 in one pan at a time. Note when the less than tasty coffee runs out there are staff on hand to tip the container forward for the last drop.
Staying in a suite and being a Furama first loyalty customer mean there is a separate lounge where we can have wine, beer and tasty bites for a “happy” hour. The Kuala Lumpur establishment has excellent staff to look after you and serve their standard house wine. Not the Chiang Mai Furama where they serve the absolute lowest cost Monte Clare plonk available in Makro in 8 litre boxes and would never be considered a house wine. One evening the very young man at the start of the hour poured 5 glasses and giggled as he told us there is no more wine for that evening. I suppose the mirth was embarrassment as he had no idea how to placate the lounge visitors. We solved his problem by finding a manager in the restaurant and asked for the house wine. The next day the Monte Clare was back on the menu.
The Furama is in a decent location in that is just off the highway and the Mayer Mall is across the street. Within walking distant there are many restaurants all of which seem to be slightly different and very interesting.
It is a shame this Furama location has resorted to the coach loads of tourist traffic and it doesn’t appear there will be an upside for this property, better look elsewhere.

Room Tip: I guess its pot luck if you get a nice room
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends
FrontDepartment, Front Office Manager at Furama Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2017

Dear AudioGuru,

Good Day from Furama Chiangmai Hotel.

Thank you very much for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review on Trip Advisor in regards to your stay at Furama Hotel Chiangmai .

We regret for overall of our hotel that made you unhappy, please accept our apologies for falling short of your expectations. In any event, we thank you for the comments, and will be more aware of all issues in the coming days.

Finally, we sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you again . We look forward to welcome for your next visit and to provide you with higher quality service.

Reviewed 27 January 2017 via mobile

I am extremely unhappy with my stay at furama chiang mai and think i should have it reported here. I am very tolerant to many things and this is the first review i have written about a hotel in my travel history. I travelled for almost every month for the past 5 years. Amd stayed in many hotel. But i thos time i decided to oen it because i can never forgive furama for allowing their rooms to be potentially hazardous to their guest.

They designed a single tier glass shelf on top of the cabinet that houses the fridge and place their coffee sachets on the top. Above that slightly above eye level they mounted a glass shelving that is sharp and not made blunt or rounded by the edges. The back drop is a mrrior, this reduced the its visibility as it can be inconspicous.

I was getting my dose of coffee in the morning and leaned my head forward to have a closer look at the container that stores the sachets.........this resulted in the glass shelf giving me a deep cut on my forehead just an inche away from my eye which could have rendered me blind should it happen. If the guest were taller it maybe possible. This cut leaves a scar now.

I tolerated with their bathroom that the sink and standing shower couldnt have the faucet turned on but i can mever forgive this unthoughful and dangerous design thatscarred me for life. I made a complain at the frontdesk and they only gave me a letter and a fruit platter. This is hopelessly unacceptable. The safety of the guest in room is compromised and it reflexs furamas dedication in this industry. They even failed to offer any form of reasonable compensation.

Harzadous room? This warrants an immediate strike off the list. Pls becareful if anyone visits this hotel. I strongly advise not to. Hopeless.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Freedom_Traveller_SG,

Good day to you from Chiang Mai, Thailand.

According to your comment, I would like to express my sincere apologies for the unfortunate incident you had encountered between staying with us at Furama Chiangmai Hotel.

We are sorry to learn that the service was lacking and disappoint to know you were not satisfied with the facilities of our hotel and our service.

One of our priorities is to provide quality service, therefore your comments are very important to us. For our investigate about the event on that day after you and your girlfriend come to contact at the front desk to make a complaint, our staff immediately offer to send you to the hospital but you prefer to go to the pharmacies and the staff was preparing hotel van for you instantaneous apart from setting fruit and a letter of apology.

Your specific issues have been taken up by the heads of all concerned departments and appropriate measures will be taken to ensure performance is enhanced.Thank you again for bringing us these issues.

Reviewed 18 January 2017

Great hotel for the price that we paid. While some of the rooms are slightly dated in reality for the price you pay this is still excellent value and the hotel is very luxurious. I really enjoyed my stay here and would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends
FrontDepartment, Front Office Manager at Furama Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2017

Dear Tom N,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. We are glad to know you are happy with ourhotel and understanding of the features of the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Furama Chiangmai Hotel.

Reviewed 17 January 2017 via mobile

I came for a few days part of my stay was paid using Agoda and the second parts was paid by me directly.
Anyhow the service is terrible the hotel Managment they have never known how hospitality is and they even don't have the courtesy to ask their manager to come when a guest request to meet him.
Our problem is my colleagues stayed there for a very long time many rooms totally they paid more than 400,000 THB for their stay and of course the typical thing happened upon check out which they increased the rates by almost 80% without informing them .
Please define that.
Recommendations
No foreigners that don't speak Thai language there because they will use that to trick you.
That was not acceptable and I will never go again or let any of our associates stay there.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled on business
FrontDepartment, Manager at Furama Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2017

Dear Mr. Saif Fateh Abdelahad,

Good Day from Furama Chiangmai.

Thank you for your comment on Furama Chiangmai. We appreciate the thought and time that went into the review on Trip Advisor.

We are sorry that you were disappointed to know you were not satisfied with the rate issue. After carefully investigated on your comment, we have found that your group stayed in three different categories of room which led to be differentiated in room rates and our staff have been informed the guest upon check-in and also between their staying. In any event, we thank you for the comments.

Finally, thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. We look forward to welcome for your next visit and to provide you with higher quality service.

The Management