“Has potential, but overall disappointing”
Review of Furama Chiang Mai

Furama Chiang Mai
Ranked #227 of 392 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed 12 February 2017

I read many reviews and all the bad reviews and complaints are not at all addressed, as one would expect since the replies to the reviews insist they will try to fix it and make it better. They sure have not done anything to 'fix' any of the issues that customers have complained about.

The room sizes are nice, but unfortunately they are still not well maintained. There is mould in the tub, shower, and faucets; pipes are being held together with electrical tape. The windows and balconies (including 5th floor pool) are filled with pigeon droppings; you can barely see out the windows because of it. There is dust on all the shelving, showing nothing is properly cleaned. The wallpaper is stained, falling off, and pasted over each other half hazardly. My curtain had a huge rip/hole right in the middle of it; very obvious and ugly.

The breakfast buffet is fine (not a 4star standard by all means) but the real problem is that it is over-crowded from 7:30am, so much so that I went to get a plate and came back to my table to find 2 strangers sitting there. They didn't even bother asking to sit with me and laughed when I explained how rude it was to just overtake my table. The hotel should have people make reservations or find another system to ensure this does not continue happening. Also, their paperwork at the restaurant is not accurate. My room was not on the list, even though my booking said it had breakfast (I even double checked at check in and again when I went for breakfast and the hostess did not find my number on the list) Although I went to clarify the issue at the front desk, I still received a bill that I had to argue about not being charged for.

There are also many ignorant Chinese people who have no concern for anyone but themselves. I purposely sat far away from them at the pool in order to avoid being in their way and still their children were splashing me; even after I asked on many occasions to not splash me as I was texting on my phone.The hotel staff should speak to them directly but instead they just turn a blind eye. They also take up all the space everywhere without caring. More than 3 times one morning, I was hit by someone not paying attention with their plates of food and their glasses of juice, all in less than an hour.

The pools could be great but as mentioned in other reviews there is barely any seating at either pool; four lounge chairs is simply not enough to accommodate an entire hotel. The 5th floor pool is full of bird poo EVERYWHERE and the showers in the pool room barely spray water. The hot water is, also, practically non-existent. One of the saunas was closed for maintenance and the 'hot tub/spa' thing was disgusting and not well maintained at all.

It is so unfortunate that the hotel has received so much feedback about this and did not bother to do anything, even though they promise to do so. I only booked here thinking that those promises were legit and now I regret it. I have travelled all over East Asia and have stayed in cleaner, more efficiently run hostels for a third of the price. Overall, I am very disappointed in this hotel and would not recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Avoid during Chinese Spring Festival Get to breakfast before 7am
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gastonguay
FrontDepartment, Front Office Manager at Furama Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2017

Dear Gastonguay,

Good day to you from Chiang Mai, Thailand.

According to your comment, I would like to express my sincere apologies for the unfortunate incident you had encountered between staying with us at Furama Chiangmai Hotel.

We are sorry to learn that the service was lacking and we regret for overall of our hotel that made you unhappy, your specific issues have been taken up by the heads of all concerned departments and appropriate measures will be taken to ensure performance is enhanced. Thank you again for bringing us these issues.

Ms.Manlika Tatsanaphak

Reviewed 9 February 2017

We stayed three nights in total. The staff are courteous and helpful. The rooms were clean, cool and well stocked. The breakfast included was more than adequate for us Canadians. We did do the Night Plaza which is a little far away but we happened upon a couple other markets within walking distance. The MAYA Plaza is a short walk away. All in all, a great place to stay.

Room Tip: I would suggest a room near the elevators and a room with a view.
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
FrontDepartment, Front Office Manager at Furama Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2017

Dear MinnieMinnow,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. We are glad to know you are happy with our staff & our hotel and understanding of the features of the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Furama Chiangmai Hotel.

Reviewed 6 February 2017

A few years back this was probably a super hotel in Chiang Mai as are many of its cousin properties such as Kuala Lumpur but not today. Big room and swift elevators are a strong feature however the rooms are in in need of more than TLC they need a complete refurbishment. The suite I occupied could have been very nice, ok it was not very expensive in line with other local properties I suppose and yet it was in a poor physical condition. The bathroom was poor, the main shower head hanged drunkenly to one side where the bracket was at a 45 degree angle, the faucets in the shower were unmarked for hot and cold and you had to wait a long time to get hot water. The window blinds had mold on them and nobody ever opened them to notice the windows were filthy inside and out. Let me also mention the protruding screw on the coffee table draw where a knob once was secured and now aimed at knee level to catch a leg.
So much for the downside of the suite breakfast has issues not least of which are the bus loads of tourists grabbing over the food, piling their plates high, stuffing rolls in their pockets etc. I do give credit to the staff who try valiantly to manage the melee. The man making omelets is a wizard producing 4 in one pan at a time. Note when the less than tasty coffee runs out there are staff on hand to tip the container forward for the last drop.
Staying in a suite and being a Furama first loyalty customer mean there is a separate lounge where we can have wine, beer and tasty bites for a “happy” hour. The Kuala Lumpur establishment has excellent staff to look after you and serve their standard house wine. Not the Chiang Mai Furama where they serve the absolute lowest cost Monte Clare plonk available in Makro in 8 litre boxes and would never be considered a house wine. One evening the very young man at the start of the hour poured 5 glasses and giggled as he told us there is no more wine for that evening. I suppose the mirth was embarrassment as he had no idea how to placate the lounge visitors. We solved his problem by finding a manager in the restaurant and asked for the house wine. The next day the Monte Clare was back on the menu.
The Furama is in a decent location in that is just off the highway and the Mayer Mall is across the street. Within walking distant there are many restaurants all of which seem to be slightly different and very interesting.
It is a shame this Furama location has resorted to the coach loads of tourist traffic and it doesn’t appear there will be an upside for this property, better look elsewhere.

Room Tip: I guess its pot luck if you get a nice room
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends
FrontDepartment, Front Office Manager at Furama Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2017

Dear AudioGuru,

Good Day from Furama Chiangmai Hotel.

Thank you very much for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review on Trip Advisor in regards to your stay at Furama Hotel Chiangmai .

We regret for overall of our hotel that made you unhappy, please accept our apologies for falling short of your expectations. In any event, we thank you for the comments, and will be more aware of all issues in the coming days.

Finally, we sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you again . We look forward to welcome for your next visit and to provide you with higher quality service.

Reviewed 27 January 2017 via mobile

I am extremely unhappy with my stay at furama chiang mai and think i should have it reported here. I am very tolerant to many things and this is the first review i have written about a hotel in my travel history. I travelled for almost every month for the past 5 years. Amd stayed in many hotel. But i thos time i decided to oen it because i can never forgive furama for allowing their rooms to be potentially hazardous to their guest.

They designed a single tier glass shelf on top of the cabinet that houses the fridge and place their coffee sachets on the top. Above that slightly above eye level they mounted a glass shelving that is sharp and not made blunt or rounded by the edges. The back drop is a mrrior, this reduced the its visibility as it can be inconspicous.

I was getting my dose of coffee in the morning and leaned my head forward to have a closer look at the container that stores the sachets.........this resulted in the glass shelf giving me a deep cut on my forehead just an inche away from my eye which could have rendered me blind should it happen. If the guest were taller it maybe possible. This cut leaves a scar now.

I tolerated with their bathroom that the sink and standing shower couldnt have the faucet turned on but i can mever forgive this unthoughful and dangerous design thatscarred me for life. I made a complain at the frontdesk and they only gave me a letter and a fruit platter. This is hopelessly unacceptable. The safety of the guest in room is compromised and it reflexs furamas dedication in this industry. They even failed to offer any form of reasonable compensation.

Harzadous room? This warrants an immediate strike off the list. Pls becareful if anyone visits this hotel. I strongly advise not to. Hopeless.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Freedom_Traveller_SG,

Good day to you from Chiang Mai, Thailand.

We are sorry to learn that the service was lacking and disappoint to know you were not satisfied with the facilities of our hotel and our service.

One of our priorities is to provide quality service, therefore your comments are very important to us. For our investigate about the event on that day after you and your girlfriend come to contact at the front desk to make a complaint, our staff immediately offer to send you to the hospital but you prefer to go to the pharmacies and the staff was preparing hotel van for you instantaneous apart from setting fruit and a letter of apology.

Your specific issues have been taken up by the heads of all concerned departments and appropriate measures will be taken to ensure performance is enhanced.Thank you again for bringing us these issues.

Reviewed 18 January 2017

Great hotel for the price that we paid. While some of the rooms are slightly dated in reality for the price you pay this is still excellent value and the hotel is very luxurious. I really enjoyed my stay here and would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends
FrontDepartment, Front Office Manager at Furama Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2017

Dear Tom N,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. We are glad to know you are happy with ourhotel and understanding of the features of the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Furama Chiangmai Hotel.