“I can't believe I made that!”

A lot of Thai : Home cooking class
Ranked #10 of 71 Food & Drink in Chiang Mai
More attraction details
Owner description: A family run cooking class established in 2001. We began with a small class size. Even though our business has seen tremendous growth, we have decided that this size maintains the personalization and individual attention that each student deserves. Yui (Siripen Sriyabhaya), Thailand's international TV chef still teaches every dish in every class to guarantee the highest quality of instruction. Her expertise attracts a variety of students such as, TV chefs, executive chefs, culinary school teachers, international Thai cooking instructors, food columnists, cookbook authors, tourists, and food lovers.Yui's unique blend of art and science truly make cooking exciting, fun, and easy to follow. When students cook these delicious dishes in class, they are equipped with the skills and knowledge to be able to recreate these dishes at home.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 7 July 2017

We made this reservation after a recommendation and we were so glad to have done it--it turned out to be one of THE highlights of our entire time in Thailand. We were picked up at our hotel and made a few stops for other folks before getting to Yui's class. During our time there, we cooked 3-4 different meals and walked to the local market where Yui walked/talked us through a few local products/produce.

Yui made the cooking fun and easy and truly inspired all of us to try these dishes at home (you go home with a small cook book). The class size was perfect. The attention to detail by Yui and crew was evident.

We were then dropped-off at our hotel.

Yui and her crew made this experience memorable!

1  Thank Ana G

Reviewed 29 June 2017 via mobile

If you want authentic Chiang Mai this is for you! My girlfriend and I had an amazing time learning the true nature of Thai cooking from Yau. It was very interesting to be taught to taste the ingredients, understand the flavors and decide weather you or not more ingredients are needed. I personally preferred this to using exact measurements and following a recipe by the book.

Thank you Yau it was truly a pleasure to meet you and discuss everything from motorcycles to arts and crafts!

2  Thank Matthew M
Reviewed 13 June 2017

This was without a doubt the highlight of our 11 days we spent in Thailand. Yui is an unbelievable person, cook, and host! Not only was the class itself a blast, but everything was clean, very well organized and of the utmost quality. Next time we go to Thailand, we will travel to Chang Mai again and will absolutely take this class again!

3  Thank mjmorris315
Reviewed 10 May 2017

One of the best experiences we had in Thailand was doing this cooking class. We turned up during our holiday without booking before hoping to join her class that day and she swiftly organised extra places for us. She is very friendly and energetic.
I work in the catering and i know immediately if someone has great knowledge about food and cooking methodologies. Well, Yui blew my mind, she is an incredibly prepared chef and her knowledge about the chemistry of the cooking is surprisingly good and accurate. We made 4 courses including Pad Thay, Mango Sticky rice and Green Curry and absolutely loved it. Funny enough to see Gordon Ramsay with her i the pictures on the wall of her classroom.

2  Thank Campaworld
Reviewed 2 April 2017 via mobile

We knew we wanted to take a cooking class in Chiang Mai and after doing some research settled on A Lot of Thai. We're glad we did!

Yui, the chef, was a bundle of personality. Fun, funny, energetic, knowledgeable and confident - she was the kind of instructor you'd want to have for any cooking class.

Yet her credentials more than matched her character. Learning of her background, and seeing photos and hearing stories of her and Gordon Ramsay reinforced that we were dealing with a true professional.

We cooked 4 uniquely different dishes including that familiar staple: Pad Thai. And she ruined me for life! Never again will I be able to experience Pad Thai with an undiscerning palate and be satisfied. Now I KNOW the difference. (And most of the Pad Thai I had following the class simply did not meet the standard.)

I should add that the trip to the market afterward seemed a bit anticlimactic. I understand her thinking that having worked with and tasted the various ingredients it would be more meaningful to see them in the market afterwards rather than before. Still, with happily filled bellies and lots of new information in our heads I'm afraid it didn't have the intended impact.

Overall, a very satisfying day. Mission accomplished and at a reasonable price.

Thank you Yui!